NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Greg Ambrosius

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 11, 2005 9:36 am

Okay, it's time to officially stir up some interest in our debut NFBC Mid-Season leagues. We don't have the new registration page finished for this yet, but that doesn't mean we can't get the ball rolling. We won't officially charge anyone's credit card until around July 1 anyway, so just post your interest here or e-mail me at [email protected] or at [email protected] to get into a league and I'll handle the application forms.

Okay, here's the details:

WHAT: NFBC Mid-Season Leagues. All of them will be online drafts, held on three separate nights during the All-Star break.

WHEN: Monday, July 11, Tuesday, July 12 and Wednesday, July 13.

HOW: STATS has developed an online draft software program that is used for its SI.com fantasy baseball game. It's tested true and easy to use. I'll have a test league set up soon for everyone to see, so that they know this isn't some unproven system.

COST: I'll have separate leagues at $1,000 entry fees, $500, $250 and $100. We will pay out 80 percent in prizes to the top three finishers.

RULES: We'll have a separate Rules link for the Mid-Season league on the home page shortly, but basically we are using the exact same NFBC rules for this contest. 30 rounds, 23 starters per week, $1,000 in-season FAAB for free agent acquisitions, 5x5 scoring categories.

PRIZES: Here's the setup:

$1,000 Mid-Season League:

1st Place: $8,000

2nd Place: $3,000

3rd Place: $1,000

$500 Mid-Season League:

1st Place: $4,000

2nd Place: $1,500

3rd Place: $500

$250 Mid-Season League:

1st Place: $2,000

2nd Place: $750

3rd Place: $250

$100 Mid-Season League:

1st Place: $800

2nd Place: $300

3rd Place: $100

$100 Mid-Season League

1st Place: Free 2006 NFBC Entry

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:

Monday, July 11th

6 p.m. EST: $1,000 Entry Fee League

6 p.m. EST: $250 Entry Fee League

6 p.m. EST: $100 Entry Fee League

9 p.m. EST: $100 Entry Fee League (winner earns free 2006 NFBC entry)

Tuesday, July 12th

6 p.m. EST: $500 Entry Fee League

6 p.m. EST: $250 Entry Fee League

6 p.m. EST: $100 Entry Fee League (winner earns free 2006 NFBC entry)

9 p.m. EST: $500 Entry Fee League

Wednesday, July 13th

6 p.m. EST: $500 Entry Fee League

6 p.m. EST: $250 Entry Fee League (using statistics of all players for entire season)

9 p.m. EST: $100 Entry Fee League (for free NFBC entry; winner take all league)

9 p.m. EST: $250 Entry Fee League

I've added a little twist to this, taking Don Mathis's idea with the Wednesday $250 league to draft players using all of their stats for the whole season. It's an interesting twist that puts an emphasis on knowing how guys did during the first half as well as projecting how well they'll do in the second half. I'll also offer a $100 league on Wednesday that uses FAAB to determine your draft slot. If there's interest in doing that at a higher level, we can do that, too.

We need 15 teams for each league to go off and it's first-come, first-serve. We can do as many leagues as there is interest, but we might have to stagger them slightly (15-30 minutes or so) if we get too many.

Anyway, I'll start a separate thread of signups and we'll see where it takes us. This could be a lot of fun.

Oh, one other point. We will offer a mid-season editorial package for all NFBC members via e-mail for $10 if you're interested. It's something Lawr Michaels & Co. have been doing the past few years and I thought it would be a great offer for our guys. It will include an NFBC Mid-Season Mock Draft and more and will be available in two sendings before the All-Star break. Should be good.

Thanks everyone for your trust and support and feel free to compete on each night if you'd like. Good luck everyone.

[ May 13, 2005, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Brian Walton

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by Brian Walton » Wed May 11, 2005 9:54 am

Here is additional detail on the CREATiVESPORTS Mid-Season Report that Greg mentioned above. You can order it when you sign up for your league.

CREATiVESPORTS.com’s Mid-Season MLB Report is built specifically with the NFBC Mid-Season leagues in mind.

The Report includes an easy-to-use, sortable spreadsheet with player eligibility and rankings, strategy essays oriented toward second-half play and the NFBC, special lists of players to choose and avoid…and much, much more, all in a form downloadable to your computer.

Whether you’re competing in the NFBC Mid-Season leagues or you want that extra push to win your full-season leagues, this report is for you!

Order for just $10! The 2005 Mid-Season MLB Report will be available on July 1.

Here's a link to a page with more details on the Report in case you're interested.

http://www.creativesports.com/newsmanag ... =2711&z=71

Brian Walton

CREATiVESPORTS.com

[ May 12, 2005, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: brian ]
Brian Walton
creativesports.com

Don Mathis

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by Don Mathis » Wed May 11, 2005 10:19 am

Greg,

You can definitely count me in for the $250. league using all years stats. I used to play in a SuperFan league that did this and no one could beat me. So this is a challenge to all, I DON'T THINK I CAN BE BEAT IN THIS.

Don Mathis

P.S. Thanks , so much, for doing this, Greg

sandckaye

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by sandckaye » Wed May 11, 2005 11:13 am

gregg

Count me in on all leagues. Include the Stats count leage. I have a lot of work to do to get my pride back. It is at a all time low with my 2 other NFBC leagues

Stan

Greg Ambrosius

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 11, 2005 1:18 pm

Thanks guys. I'll update the list now. Great start to these mid-season leagues. The whole idea is to have fun with this and continue to enjoy the baseball season together. Competing with different NFBC die-hards in these leagues can be a positive, too.

Don, thanks for the great idea. It's an interesting concept that I had never thought of before. I'm glad to put it into play here. I hope I'm not infringing on anyone's patent with this concept!

Stanley, hang in there. You're a 2004 champ and I have a feeling your teams will come around yet this year.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 13, 2005 2:57 am

Just a note that I've added three more events to the schedule that hopefully will allow more West Coast participants to compete (or night owls on the East Coast). I've added a $100 league on Monday, July 11th with the winner earning a free entry in the 2006 NFBC starting at 6 p.m. PST, a $500 league on Tuesday, July 12th starting at 6 p.m. PST, and a $250 league on Wednesday, July 13th starting at 6 p.m. PST. I hope this helps.

Good luck the rest of the way in the NFBC season and we'll have some fun with these leagues when they come around.

[ May 13, 2005, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 13, 2005 3:00 am

Oh, by the way, some guys are already calling the $250 league on Wednesday, July 13th where we draft players using all season's stats the Don Mathis League. Don proposed this idea and it seems to have caught on with the guys. It's certainly something I could see doing in this mid-season league for a long, long time. So I'll officially call this the Don Mathis League as we approach Draft Day. Congratulations Don as you will now live forever in the NFBC! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Don Mathis

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by Don Mathis » Fri May 13, 2005 4:40 am

Thanks,Greg.

I am honored and will do my best to win it.

Don Mathis

Chest Rockwell

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by Chest Rockwell » Fri May 13, 2005 5:35 am

Originally posted by Don Mathis:

Thanks,Greg.

I am honored and will do my best to win it.

Don Mathis Don,

Don't go with Ordonez in the 2nd round, he needs to wait until at least the 3rd round.

mdz129

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by mdz129 » Fri May 13, 2005 6:12 am

Greg,

Please put me in for the $500 6pm league on Tuesday and Wednesday. Thank You, Michael Zukowski

Greg Ambrosius

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 13, 2005 9:30 am

I changed the Wednesday $100 league to 9 p.m. EST and turned that into a 2006 NFBC free entry league without any bidding for draft slots. There's also interest in a 15-team Mixed Auction League that we could run at $100 per team. I don't have a night set aside for that yet. More info coming.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bobby J

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by Bobby J » Sat May 14, 2005 3:23 am

How long do we anticipate the drafts being. Is there time to do a 6pm and 9pm draft on the same day and when are the auction drafts scheduled?
Some Assembly Required

Greg Ambrosius

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat May 14, 2005 5:07 am

Originally posted by Bobby J:

How long do we anticipate the drafts being. Is there time to do a 6pm and 9pm draft on the same day and when are the auction drafts scheduled? I honestly don't know how long this will take, but I wouldn't want to schedule anyone for a 6 and a 9 p.m. event. I doubt we'll get done in 3 hours. Likely closer to four hours depending how quick everyone picks. There will be a 1 minute time limit, but veteran guys will have their picks que-ed up well in advance. Should be fun.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

JerseyPaul

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by JerseyPaul » Sun May 15, 2005 5:48 am

Don Mathis rules clarification...

How many players count for season stats; 23? 30?

If 23, first 23 or designated starters some how.

Full draft of 30? or draft 23? Could treat like an auction and draft 23 and fill 7 with FAAB.

Stats must be sure that players picked up on waivers after the draft do not have their season stats count .

Greg Ambrosius

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun May 15, 2005 5:54 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:

Don Mathis rules clarification...

How many players count for season stats; 23? 30?

If 23, first 23 or designated starters some how.

Full draft of 30? or draft 23? Could treat like an auction and draft 23 and fill 7 with FAAB.

Stats must be sure that players picked up on waivers after the draft do not have their season stats count . 23 count for the season stats. We'll draft 30 and carry over the stats for the 23 that you put into your starting lineup before the Thursday game. I'll work with STATS to make sure we get this straight as we have a few months to perfect this. I'm not worried about any stats carrying over after we get that first week done.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 16, 2005 8:11 am

Just as an FYI: STATS is all set to run the Don Mathis League with stats carrying over from Weeks 1-13. As I stated before, when you set your lineup before the Thursday game after the break, those stats will carry over and a first set of standings will appear. Then all second half stats will carry forward. So we're all set here for that league.

We'll get a test site ready before July and allow everyone to test out the software well in advance of the mid-season league drafts. We want everyone to feel comfortable with this software before the drafts take place.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

NFBC Mid-Season Leagues

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:55 am

Here's a bump as some guys are asking about the prize money for the mid-season leagues. All of it is on the first post of this thread. Check it out and let me know if you're interested in participating in any of these leagues as we'll try to close them before the All-Star break.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius