Sean Casey HR over/under 7

Big Fish

Post by Big Fish » Sun May 15, 2005 3:23 pm

God help us who drafted this loser. Anyone who has seen him play (regrettably I had not seen him play before the draft) would never draft him. He has no bat speed and cannot get the ball out of the infield let alone the park. I would be suprised if he hits 8 HR this year. What is the over under for HR for Sean Casey. I wasted a 5th round pick on him. Much worse than my second round pick on Huff. Casey has no chance to do anything this year. Weak and slow is not the combination you want at 1B. I may release him outright. I have seen enough of his games to predict 7 HR by years end even with a full season of AB's. He is that bad.

Cellar Dwellers

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Sun May 15, 2005 7:36 pm

Yeah, it really is starting to look like he had just one career year, and that this is the player he really is. I can't believe how slow his bat speed is. I drafted him in another league ahead of Lyle Overbay in an NL only league and I want to shoot myself everytime I look at his stats.

MGBMARTY

Post by MGBMARTY » Sun May 15, 2005 9:46 pm

I took Casey in the 7th Round looking for 20 hrs and 300 avg maybe 85 runs 86 rbis which I would be happy with from a 7th rd pick He will come around now that Griffey is in clean up spot. The reds problems seem to be with table setters though I think that Freel leading off will help that. Unless other 1bs were gone Casey in 5th rd was way too early as Huff in the 2nd Anyway Casey will end up with 18-22 Hrs To all Tampa Bay players they must be saying to themselves Lou has no clue What is he doing with that team I had Phelps who was putting up decent numbers but it seems Lous got some screws loose probably frustrated line up changes daily call ups every 3rd day Gomes Hollins while Gathright sits in obscurity Had to dump Phelps as with that super star Travis Lee being activated soon maybe Lou sits Crawford and Huff

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon May 16, 2005 1:43 am

It is early and I got Casey way too early, but I think (a common two word combination that my wife snickers at frequently) is minimum .300+ 20HR, 85 R, and 85 RBI's. He is one hot stretch from cracking 30 HR, .320 BA, 100 R and 100 RBI. And yes I recognize staying healthy is a risk (this I should know with Rolen, Vidro, and Escobar on my team).

Before all the experts jump down my throat on my assessment of Casey, I have only two words to say first...Tino Martinez.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Big Fish

Post by Big Fish » Mon May 16, 2005 2:47 am

Perhaps my problem is actually watching him play and I should let the stats run their due course, however, being a ball player for a number of years and looking at his swing gives me zero confidence he can get it done. One big difference between Casey and Martinez is their ground ball to fly ball ratios. Martinez always got under balls and therefore has the potential for HR despite a lack of huge power. Casey on the other hand has a swing that is built around contact and hitting on top of the ball. Without much speed this is not going to result in a lot of good things for us ie highest GIDP this year and heading for the record (in case anyone is wondering is 36 in a season I believe) he is on pace for 58 right now. I hope you are all right and we can .300 20HR, 80 RBI and 80 RUns. With the 5th round pick I wasted on him those numbers would not be great, but after watching him play, those numbers would be a gift from the Roto gods.

I cant see more than 8 HR this year. I hope I am wrong.

bjoak

Post by bjoak » Mon May 16, 2005 12:36 pm

Are you the same guys who were violently defending him when I said he's no better than 17th rounder Mark Kotsay at the beginning of the season? Well, there you go.

But if you took him ahead of his average draft position then you really created value for your team. Guess we're not hearing too much of that argument anymore either.

On the not seeing a player before drafting him score, I can identify. I never saw Peavy before drafting him and now I'm thrilled that I did. Well, it's from the other side but it's almost like the same thing.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Wed May 18, 2005 3:03 am

And those same people had the audacity to question your draft strategy bjoak, look at them now fools...

mulberry

Post by mulberry » Wed May 18, 2005 7:20 am

casey just hit his 2nd homer....what are the odds he hits #3 before the all-star break...50/50?

Cellar Dwellers

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Wed May 18, 2005 8:28 am

Casey's on fire today, 4-4, with 3 or 4 ribbies.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed May 18, 2005 9:11 am

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

It is early and I got Casey way too early, but I think (a common two word combination that my wife snickers at frequently) is minimum .300+ 20HR, 85 R, and 85 RBI's. He is one hot stretch from cracking 30 HR, .320 BA, 100 R and 100 RBI.Hmmmm...one game does not make a hot stretch...but I will take it as a good start!

Maybe all those libations of fried chicken and rum for Jobu will finally pay off for me!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Balticsquids

Post by Balticsquids » Wed May 18, 2005 11:55 am

Anybuddy care to wager on him hitting 14 or more ???

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu May 19, 2005 12:38 am

I already did when I drafted him so early.
Charles Krauthammer

Big Fish

Post by Big Fish » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:36 pm

Casey on pace for 7 hr's, my original prediction.

This guy blows. It cant feel good to be 6'4 235lbs and not have as many homers as Craig Counsell.

Am I the only one thinking of dropping this load?

mulberry

Post by mulberry » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:46 pm

there are several back up catchers (fasano, pratt, gil, valentin, cota) with more homers than casey! that is pathetic for someone his size in that ballpark, just pathetic....

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:20 am

At least his BA is up. My team seems doomed to be average, so maybe Casey fits right in. I am holding on to him. He could get hot.

It could happen....just like I could loose weight on the "Beer, Beef, and Baklava" diet....

:D
Charles Krauthammer

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:05 am

Well, when I walked over after the draft and saw that meatloaf (who after 2 mintues of conversation seems super cool btw) had drafted Casey in the 2nd round, I had to question him about Casey that high. Sadly for him (but good for me because I haven't picked casey anywhere), he is doing just like I figured. Lots of ba, not much else....

Spy

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:30 am

This just in....Casey's "big" two homer game/week gives him a whopping seven for the year! At this pace, he could crack 10!

Man, am I crying in my beer... :(
Charles Krauthammer