Scott Podsednik And Stolen Bases

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 16, 2005 3:15 am

While doing research for a column I was writing yesterday, I noticed that through Saturday's games Scott Podsednik had more stolen bases (22) than TWENTY major-league teams and he had twice as many stolen bases as every MLB player except four. That's a pretty amazing stat. Although Brian Roberts has better five-category production than Podsednik, nobody is dominating one category as much as Podsednik is. On average, Podsednik went 36th in NFBC drafts and in auction leagues he went between $32 and $24 (including mixed and AL-only leagues).

Podsednik has helped to transform the White Sox from a power-hitting team to a speed team. In 2004, the White Sox tied the New York Yankees for the most home runs in the majors with 242, while stealing only 78 bases. This year, they lead the majors with 44 stolen bases through 37 games and have more SBs than home runs (37). They are one of four teams to have more SBs than HRs, with the Devil Rays, Angels and Astros being the others.

Overall this year, stolen bases are up slightly from a year ago. Last year the 30 MLB teams combined for 2,589 stolen bases or an average of 0.53 per team per game. Through Saturday’s games of this year, teams had stolen 596 bases, an average of 0.55 per team per game, and the overall success rate was over 71 percent, the highest its been in a decade. On its current pace, teams would steal almost 100 more bases this year than in 2004.

The Anaheim Angels led the majors last year with 143 stolen bases, while San Francisco stole the fewest with 43. The Oakland A’s have stolen five bases thus far – and have been thrown out five times – and are on pace to steal only 23 bases.

Those are just some interesting facts to chew on for those of you who either knew stolen bases would be up this year or for those of you lacking SBs. Good luck the rest of the way.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Mon May 16, 2005 3:31 pm

Well, I am equalling his output, but I had to get Ichiro, Abreu, and David Roberts to do it!!!!

Spy

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue May 17, 2005 12:22 am

I have never been a fan of Podsednik (one of those one dimensional criticizers), but the most amazing thing to me is the .387 OBP. When he stole 70 last year, it was a less than marginal .313. Some were saying his power numbers would be up given his home ball park. That hasn't shown, but who cares!

W. Taveras was not drafted in my league, so I got him via FA (for big bucks). He has me 13 SB, which is well worth the price, but his OBP since the opening week is only .287 with a .220 BA. Who does he think he is, Alex Sanchez (with better defense)! As long as his OBP is that low, he is at risk of seeing some pine. To get to "Podsednikland", I have to toss in either Vizquel or Lugo.

In short, if Podsednik keeps this up, we could see a 100+ SB year.

Who was the last person to steal 100+....Vince Coleman?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

nydownunder

Post by nydownunder » Tue May 17, 2005 3:37 am

I remember reading an artile or two before the season started, which stated that he now understands his role as a leadoff hitter. Basically, he was no longer going to go up there trying to swing for the fences, but rather concentrate on getting on base. With that said, I would say his power numbers will be halved, but his OBP will hover in the .370-.380 mark and have 90+ SB's.
Wagga Wagga Dingoes (NY#4)
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue May 17, 2005 4:11 am

Originally posted by nydownunder:

I remember reading an artile or two before the season started, which stated that he now understands his role as a leadoff hitter. Basically, he was no longer going to go up there trying to swing for the fences, but rather concentrate on getting on base. With that said, I would say his power numbers will be halved, but his OBP will hover in the .370-.380 mark and have 90+ SB's. I don't own him anywhere - don't care for the 1-trick show ponies. He's due for a Hammy and a two week vacation.

Dyv
Just Some Guy

nydownunder

Post by nydownunder » Tue May 17, 2005 8:05 am

I'd kill for a SB trick pony right now...just for 3-4 weeks.

Maybe Ricky will come out of retirement :eek:
Wagga Wagga Dingoes (NY#4)
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!

Cellar Dwellers

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Tue May 17, 2005 10:33 am

Originally posted by Dyv:

quote:Originally posted by nydownunder:

I remember reading an artile or two before the season started, which stated that he now understands his role as a leadoff hitter. Basically, he was no longer going to go up there trying to swing for the fences, but rather concentrate on getting on base. With that said, I would say his power numbers will be halved, but his OBP will hover in the .370-.380 mark and have 90+ SB's. I don't own him anywhere - don't care for the 1-trick show ponies. He's due for a Hammy and a two week vacation.

Dyv
[/QUOTE]And this from the guy who owns, Willie Tavares, lol :eek: :D

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue May 17, 2005 11:30 am

Originally posted by Cellar Dwellers:

quote:Originally posted by Dyv:

quote:Originally posted by nydownunder:

Dyv
[/QUOTE]And this from the guy who owns, Willie Tavares, lol :eek: :D
[/QUOTE]Err... I'd pick up Podsednik in the 28th round, too ;)

I don't care for 1-trick show ponies, but I'd take 'em for cheap!

lol

Dyv
Just Some Guy

cracker

Post by cracker » Tue May 17, 2005 4:25 pm

i think a lot of fans feel SB's aren't sexy and they will say anything to deny the fact that Podsednik is dominating a certain style of baseball that we have not seen much of in the last 15 years

from a fantasy standpoint, if you own Podz' steals, you have one cat locked up and you probably got him cheap because Podz ain't "sexy enough"

what Podz is doing this year is just as comparable to what McGwire, Sosa, & Bonds did in the HR cat and that's dominate to a point where it's ridiculous

if you don't own Podz then check yourself into anger management and get over it

:cool:

Dyv

Post by Dyv » Tue May 17, 2005 6:22 pm

Originally posted by cracker:

i think a lot of fans feel SB's aren't sexy and they will say anything to deny the fact that Podsednik is dominating a certain style of baseball that we have not seen much of in the last 15 years

from a fantasy standpoint, if you own Podz' steals, you have one cat locked up and you probably got him cheap because Podz ain't "sexy enough"

what Podz is doing this year is just as comparable to what McGwire, Sosa, & Bonds did in the HR cat and that's dominate to a point where it's ridiculous

if you don't own Podz then check yourself into anger management and get over it

:cool: Ahh... you're saying his 20-something stolen bases through this part of the season is driven by steroids? "comparable to McGwire, Sosa and Bonds"

Hmmm...

Anger management because I don't own Pods anywhere? Uh... why? I'm not angry - I can only find one owner (Gators) in the top 20 who has Podsednik. You'd think with his sheer domination that he would be leading more people to high end rankings wouldn't you?

Still - all things being equal - I'd take any player for good value. Just didn't happen that way in any draft I was in.

Dyv
Just Some Guy