Chin Music Wins Week 10 Prize

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:12 am

Congratulations to Chin Music in New York League 4 for finishing first in the NFBC last week with 2,427.5 points. Chin Music hit .325 last week, led by scorching weeks from Michael Barrett (.529-2-5) and Grady Sizemore (.500-1-5). Randy Winn (.458), Tony Clark (.350-3-5) and Julio Lugo (.346) also delivered strong offensive week. On the mound, Chin Music was paced by wins from Pedro Martinez, Matt Morris, Jason Marquis and John Smoltz, while Francisco Rodriguez delivered a pair of saves.

For finishing first last week Chin Music wins a Ken Griffey Jr. autographed home jersey with a 500th home run patch worth $750 courtesy of Upper Deck Authenticated. Congratulations again to Chin Music and good luck to everyone in the NFBC this week.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:53 am

Consistency has been the cornerstone of Chin Music's season so far in the NFBC. But if the team is going to make a run at a league title and event championship team owner Tim Scanlan knows it must begin to start hitting better soon.

Last week, Scanlan got his wish.

Thanks in large part to a strong offensive week, Chin Music finished first in the NFBC in Week 10 with 2,427.5 points. The first-place finish was sparked by an offense that hit .325 last week, led by scorching weeks from Michael Barrett (.529-2-5) and Grady Sizemore (.500-1-5). Randy Winn (.458), Tony Clark (.350-3-5) and Julio Lugo (.346) also delivered strong offensive week. On the mound, Chin Music was paced by wins from Pedro Martinez, Matt Morris, Jason Marquis and John Smoltz, while Francisco Rodriguez delivered a pair of saves.

For finishing first last week Chin Music wins a Ken Griffey Jr. autographed home jersey with a 500th home run patch worth $750 courtesy of Upper Deck Authenticated.

"I've been consistently in the Top 5 in my league and the Top 100 overall, but I won't be satisfied until I get more hitting from my squad," said Scanlan, a Financial Services Manager in Philadelphia. "In Week 10 everything came together. My young sluggers (Sizemore and David DeJesus) combined for 11 RBIs and 16 runs, my free-agent pickup Tony Clark hit three home runs, Michael Barrett and Randy Winn had a big week and my closers notched five saves."

While he hopes last week's showing is an indication his team's offense is turning the corner Scanlan is also hoping his Draft Day philosophy will pay off when the season comes to an end.

"My goal on Draft Day was to select a balanced team of proven veteran performers," he said. "Through the first eight rounds I had drafted four positional players, two starters and two closers. High draft picks Todd Helton and Mike Lowell have handicapped my offense thus far but my pitching has been very solid, led by Pedro, Matt Morris and Jason Marquis."

Scanlan has his eyes clearly on the big prize in the NFBC but no matter how the season shakes out he said the experience of being in the industry's only multi-city, high-stakes baseball event has been rewarding.

"The NFBC has been an amazing experience," he said. "The competitors are very knowledgeable and dedicated. Greg, Tom and the crew have done an excellent job of running 20-plus leagues. I'm just thrilled to be part of this competition."

And if Scanlan finds himself sitting atop his league or the entire field at season's end? What then?

"I just bought a house so any NFBC winnings would come in very handy," he said.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich