Doughboys

Dyv

Doughboys

Post by Dyv » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:13 am

Add a little flour, add some water... dough is NOT hard to make.

Doughboys has quietly held LV #7 Hostage for most of the year and currently has a sizeable lead on the overall contest.

Can he be caught? Is it a series of over achieving players who will come back to Earth or is Doughboys a master chef crafting a masterpiece?

What's your take?

http://game.fantasybaseballchampionship ... ?Team=7888

Good luck Dan

Dave
Just Some Guy

Greg Ambrosius

Doughboys

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:53 am

Dan, this looks like the cagey Dyv is trying to put a hex on you. Kind of like talking to a pitcher during a no-hitter or the announcer saying "he hasn't missed a free throw in 61 attempts" before he takes to the line. I'm interested in the analysis of your team, but..... ;)
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Doughboys

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:21 am

doughie - you will not win if i or my people have anything to say about it. if you have this big a lead come Aug 1, then i'll start to get concerned. don't get nervous now. front-runners almost never win...see the Belmont as an example.

Dyv

Doughboys

Post by Dyv » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:13 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Dan, this looks like the cagey Dyv is trying to put a hex on you. Kind of like talking to a pitcher during a no-hitter or the announcer saying "he hasn't missed a free throw in 61 attempts" before he takes to the line. I'm interested in the analysis of your team, but..... ;) I've got my opinions on Dan's team... but I've had him under the microscope for months now! If I thought I could hex his run I'd have done it long ago!!!

What's your take on his squad, Greg? Don't chicken out, step up and be bold!

Dyv
Just Some Guy

MGBMARTY

Doughboys

Post by MGBMARTY » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:43 am

Did not know Pillsbury Doughboy was even around anymore Like him most front runners will become a distant memory like Super Bowl losers My team is in the late great Rodney Dangerfield league NY #5 No respect though we have 2 teams in top 8 and most of us realize that the overall winner will come from NY based on past history. Long way to go injuries of course will decde Good luck all and to all a goodnight

Marty MGBS

CC's Desperados

Doughboys

Post by CC's Desperados » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:19 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

doughie - you will not win if i or my people have anything to say about it. if you have this big a lead come Aug 1, then i'll start to get concerned. don't get nervous now. front-runners almost never win...see the Belmont as an example. Gordon, I'll bet you an entry fee. You never pass him for the rest of the year. Doughboys looks like they will be in the hunt all year. I'm not so sure I can catch him.

[ June 15, 2005, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: CC Desperados ]

Gordon Gekko

Doughboys

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:28 pm

Originally posted by CC Desperados:

Gordon, I'll bet you an entry fee. You never pass him for the rest of the year. Doughboys looks like they will be in the hunt all year. I'm not so sure I can catch him. no betting for me. the wife already has all the nffc winnings spent on her crap. i'm back in the poor house. as for me not catching him, we'll see. i'm not doing to bad when my top hr guy is thome, my top save guy is foulke and my ace is zito. i need to pick up a "droughns" if you know what i mean.

as for your attempt to catch him...i don't see it. the dotel injury sort of seals your fate.

CC's Desperados

Doughboys

Post by CC's Desperados » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:35 pm

quote:Originally posted by CC Desperados:

Gordon, I'll bet you an entry fee. You never pass him for the rest of the year. Doughboys looks like they will be in the hunt all year. I'm not so sure I can catch him. no betting for me. the wife already has all the nffc winnings spent on her crap. i'm back in the poor house. as for me not catching him, we'll see. i'm not doing to bad when my top hr guy is thome, my top save guy is foulke and my ace is zito. i need to pick up a "droughns" if you know what i mean.

as for your attempt to catch him...i don't see it. the dotel injury sort of seals your fate.
[/QUOTE]Well, you are right about Dotel hurting us, but saves are the easiest category to make up ground in. I'd just like to finish with 75 saves at this point. I'm sorry to hear that Zito is your ace though. I saw that your wife is playing the CDM games with your winnings!!

Gordon Gekko

Doughboys

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:48 pm

Originally posted by CC Desperados:

I saw that your wife is playing the CDM games with your winnings!! funny story - my wife and I and a couple friends were down AC and i went off to play some texas hold'em and the others were playing slots for a couple hours. i came back to find out my wife was playing the nickel slot machines...the progressive "Adams Family" one. she hit the jackpot for over 1.2 million dollars. too bad she didn't MAX bet it. you had to max bet to take the progressive pot. that one hurt. even to this day she doesn't max bet the progressive machines. see what i have to deal with!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

CC's Desperados

Doughboys

Post by CC's Desperados » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:58 pm

quote:Originally posted by CC Desperados:

I saw that your wife is playing the CDM games with your winnings!! funny story - my wife and I and a couple friends were down AC and i went off to play some texas hold'em and the others were playing slots for a couple hours. i came back to find out my wife was playing the nickel slot machines...the progressive "Adams Family" one. she hit the jackpot for over 1.2 million dollars. too bad she didn't MAX bet it. you had to max bet to take the progressive pot. that one hurt. even to this day she doesn't max bet the progressive machines. see what i have to deal with!! :mad: :mad: :mad: [/QUOTE]Ouch....I don't think I could sleep for while after that. Look like you are going have earn it the old fashion way!! Win it in FANTASY SPORTS!! What a country...Good Luck the rest of the way.

DOUGHBOYS

Doughboys

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:02 am

Dave, you couldn't just let me go quietly about my business, could you.

Most frontrunners have a Derek Lee or Brian Roberts type guy that get you out of the gates quickly, my team doesen't have those type guys. I don't really like the word "overachievers" as it relates to fantasy baseball, afterall if you didn't think they were going to overachieve you wouldn't have drafted them in the first place.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

nydownunder

Doughboys

Post by nydownunder » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:00 am

Doughboys archilles heel is suppose to be his team AVG (currently .285). Other projection notables would be Runs, K's, and Saves.

Baring injuries he will certainly be a serious contender if not the leader for a long time to come. He definitely seems to have addressed his weakest areas that can be more easily controlled, such as K's and Saves. His pitching does not look like it will be letting up anytime soon. But then again, Patterson and Myers is what is making all the difference rate now because they are head and shoulders above what the rest of us drafted as our 5th, 6th, and 7th starters.

But I do think his AVG will revert to its mean (around .275-.277), which would certainly impact Run production, and perhaps his POWER numbers slightly. He'll still have solid POWER numbers.

Of course there are some nagging injuries and/or history to watch there, as too are playing time for some vets when callups start happening. It's all up to the baseball Gods now as he has certainly done his part to win this thing.

[ June 16, 2005, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: nydownunder ]
Wagga Wagga Dingoes (NY#4)
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity!

Dyv

Doughboys

Post by Dyv » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:57 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

Dave, you couldn't just let me go quietly about my business, could you.

Most frontrunners have a Derek Lee or Brian Roberts type guy that get you out of the gates quickly, my team doesen't have those type guys. I don't really like the word "overachievers" as it relates to fantasy baseball, afterall if you didn't think they were going to overachieve you wouldn't have drafted them in the first place. *whistles quietly*

I've got my list of 'things I have to do to catch Doughboys' and it's ridiculous. Ergo, you need to fall back some for me to have a shot at league money. Just curious what others saw!

Dave
Just Some Guy

MGBMARTY

Doughboys

Post by MGBMARTY » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:12 am

Looking for feed back on the 2 teams in NY#5 Moneymaker ang MGBS109 Currenyly 5 and 6 overall Any commemts or opinions on how they stack up against Doughboys

Marty

bjoak

Doughboys

Post by bjoak » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:00 am

I think he'll fall back to earth. Of course, I also thought that after week 1, week 2, month 1, month 2, etc.
Chance favors the prepared mind.

nydownunder

Doughboys

Post by nydownunder » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:11 am

Originally posted by MGBMARTY:

Looking for feed back on the 2 teams in NY#5 Moneymaker ang MGBS109 Currenyly 5 and 6 overall Any commemts or opinions on how they stack up against Doughboys

Marty I will try and run them through what I have sometime over the next day or two.

nydownunder

Doughboys

Post by nydownunder » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:23 am

Moneymaker assessment

(This is merely base on pre-season projections and/or assumptions based off of those numbers.)

Pitching - very well balanced across all 5 categories (75th percentile area) - will not knock the lights out in any one category. Looking at 950-1,050 points here. A lot will depend on how well his (very solid) middle of the pack pitchers limit blowups. No end of the rotations rag arms here. However, very vulnerable with no true ace unless Sheets comes back to form, and no 3rd closer if Izzy or Rivera goes down.

Batting - This team should see some weakness (or weakening) in the 2 POWER categories (HR and RBI) even with the solid projections for Mench, Ensberg, and Monroe already incorporated. The team projects in the bottom half for both (40-45 percentile). His AVG also doesn't project well, but he is already right where his team should be in that category (ie .278). The team doesn't project more than 800-900 in batting, but continued breakouts could keep him up in the 1,000 range. Runs and SB will not be an issue for this team!

[ June 22, 2005, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: nydownunder ]

nydownunder

Doughboys

Post by nydownunder » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:00 am

MGB Assessment

Pitching - ERA is expected to be real solid, with WHIP fairly close behind. W, S, and K's look to hover just above the mason dickson line (ie 50th percentile). However, pitching trends are more sustainable and several of his pitchers are pitching above expectations. Barring a meltdwon (ie lose a closer or Beckett), there's 950-1,050 points here.

Batting - This is a bit tricky as subbing Logan or Ellison in can change things. SB's are a slam dunk here. With some minor adjsutments for Inge, Counsell, and Pods, Runs looks to be near the 75/80 percentile. HR and RBI will also be in the 60-70 percentile. AVG is the archilles heel here in the 50th percentile range, but then again a lot of the hitters are streaky so they could bat as a team anywhere from .277-.283. My numbers say .279. All up a very solid offense which should get you 1,050-1,150 points.

[ June 22, 2005, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: nydownunder ]