Prince Fielder

King of Queens

Prince Fielder

Post by King of Queens » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:34 pm

Curious as to why he's listed as a utility player.

Quahogs

Prince Fielder

Post by Quahogs » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:39 pm

koq - He pinch hit in more games than he actually played 1B in (1b 7gms). According to NFBC rules his position is undetermined just as if he DH'd more times than played in the field (as long as he played under 20gms there)

Q

Gordon Gekko

Prince Fielder

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:43 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:

Curious as to why he's listed as a utility player. koq - just a quick observation...for some reason seeing you ask a few questions lately has me hoping i fall into your league.

King of Queens

Prince Fielder

Post by King of Queens » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:53 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:

Curious as to why he's listed as a utility player. koq - just a quick observation...for some reason seeing you ask a few questions lately has me hoping i fall into your league. [/QUOTE]Then my plan is working perfectly!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Gordon Gekko

Prince Fielder

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:00 pm

Then my plan is working perfectly!

:D :D :D :D :D :D hopefully your focus will be on the ultimate draft on sunday.

King of Queens

Prince Fielder

Post by King of Queens » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:05 pm

Originally posted by Quahogs:

koq - He pinch hit in more games than he actually played 1B in (1b 7gms). According to NFBC rules his position is undetermined just as if he DH'd more times than played in the field (as long as he played under 20gms there)

Q This is reminiscent of Ramon Castro in 2004, who was eligible only at UT to start the season. I have to continually remind myself that Greg uses appearances at pinch hitter as a position -- in 20 years of playing this game, the NFBC is the

only league I've been in that does that.

King of Queens

Prince Fielder

Post by King of Queens » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:06 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:

Then my plan is working perfectly!

:D :D :D :D :D :D hopefully your focus will be on the ultimate draft on sunday.
[/QUOTE]All depends on where the KDS chips should fall.

Are you jumping into the Ultimate? I understand there are now 2 spots left.

Gordon Gekko

Prince Fielder

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:10 pm

Are you jumping into the Ultimate? I understand there are now 2 spots left. i don't believe so

Greg Ambrosius

Prince Fielder

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:39 am

quote:Originally posted by Quahogs:

Q This is reminiscent of Ramon Castro in 2004, who was eligible only at UT to start the season. I have to continually remind myself that Greg uses appearances at pinch hitter as a position -- in 20 years of playing this game, the NFBC is the

only league I've been in that does that.
[/QUOTE]I don't think we're unique in this thinking. He qualifies at the position the Brewers used him at last year. He was not a September callup who played sparingly once he came to the majors. The Brewers called him up mid-season and played him in 39 games. He pinch-hit 30 times and played first base 7 times. He was a UTILITY player last year and there is a spot for someone like that in Rotisserie Baseball. It's called the Utility position.

Ask the Brewers why they felt he couldn't play more at first base last year. But obviously our in-season qualification rule is 10 games, so he should qualify at 1B after the second week of the season.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Prince Fielder

Post by King of Queens » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:19 pm

I understand the rules as you have written them, Greg. The key is how they are interpreted -- and you're the boss here, so of course I'm going to abide by your decision. It's just that I never understood why pinch hitting appearances qualifies as a game played at a position. If you look at most (all?) websites that list games played by position, you are not going to see "utility" games played. To me, if a player does not play the field, it should not count as a game played at a position. The only exception would be if the player appears as a DH -- which IS an official major league position.

I'd love to get Zaleski's input on this one. Is my thinking totally offline here?

Captain Hook

Prince Fielder

Post by Captain Hook » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:44 pm

KoQ - I am with you on this one.

Pinch-hitter is NOT a position

JohnZ

Prince Fielder

Post by JohnZ » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:44 pm

I understand the rules as you have written them, Greg. The key is how they are interpreted -- and you're the boss here, so of course I'm going to abide by your decision. It's just that I never understood why pinch hitting appearances qualifies as a game played at a position. If you look at most (all?) websites that list games played by position, you are not going to see "utility" games played. To me, if a player does not play the field, it should not count as a game played at a position. The only exception would be if the player appears as a DH -- which IS an official major league position.

I'd love to get Zaleski's input on this one. Is my thinking totally offline here? This is Greg's game so whatever he says, I'm fine with.

I don't think PH is a position. That's JMO.

I run a point style game that only counts hitters when they start due to our backup rules (each position gets 7 starts).

I have never ever liked the way roto determines positions. Most mins are way too low. Kirby Puckett getting SS for EVERY game you play when he played one game is a joke, as are others like that. Catchers should have a min of 20 games at the least.

This year, the game is based on 2006 stats, why are positions based on 2005?

I know it's an idea that will never fly, but I've used current positions since day one ( a player can have up to 3) and have changes Week 7 and 13, along with weekly adds like NFBC if min is met.

Cellar Dwellers

Prince Fielder

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:59 pm

I'd love to get Zaleski's input on this one. Is my thinking totally offline here? Glen,

We went through this 2 years ago, trying to convince Greg that PH is not a position. It didn't work then and I don't think it's going to work now.

King of Queens

Prince Fielder

Post by King of Queens » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:18 am

Andy, good to hear from you. Are you coming back this year? I tried to send you an e-mail, but I deleted your "change of address" letter you sent last summer. Drop me a line when you have a chance...

Greg Ambrosius

Prince Fielder

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:02 pm

I understand the rules as you have written them, Greg. The key is how they are interpreted -- and you're the boss here, so of course I'm going to abide by your decision. It's just that I never understood why pinch hitting appearances qualifies as a game played at a position. If you look at most (all?) websites that list games played by position, you are not going to see "utility" games played. To me, if a player does not play the field, it should not count as a game played at a position. The only exception would be if the player appears as a DH -- which IS an official major league position. Let's look at Fielders' situation WITHOUT the pinch-hitting appearances and see how we would handle it. The guy spent SEVEN weeks on the MLB roster last year and he played SEVEN games at first base. On that basis alone, he wouldn't qualify at first base in any Rotisserie league. The Brewers had him on their roster for a reason last year and it wasn't to play first base, unfortunately. There's NO way he should be rewarded with first base eligibility when he played the field seven times in seven weeks. He wasn't some ol' late season callup, and thus he needed more games played at a position to qualify there.

Ramon Castro two years ago was ruled exactly the same way. The slug was on the Marlins' roster ALL YEAR and caught a handful of times while pinch-hitting almost 30 times. He didn't deserve eligibility at catcher just because he appeared there a few times during the season.

But I'm glad Andy Shane still remembers that!!!

Andy, I tried calling you and someone else owned your extension. Give me a shout with your new contact info even if you don't return in 2006. I can always use a few new CDs! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Prince Fielder

Post by King of Queens » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:31 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Let's look at Fielders' situation WITHOUT the pinch-hitting appearances and see how we would handle it. The guy spent SEVEN weeks on the MLB roster last year and he played SEVEN games at first base. On that basis alone, he wouldn't qualify at first base in any Rotisserie league. The Brewers had him on their roster for a reason last year and it wasn't to play first base, unfortunately. There's NO way he should be rewarded with first base eligibility when he played the field seven times in seven weeks. He wasn't some ol' late season callup, and thus he needed more games played at a position to qualify there.Fair point you make here.

Also curious about something Tom mentioned in his chat today regarding Roger Clemens. I believe he said Clemens will be eligible to be drafted even if he is not signed by a MLB club by March 18th. Is this accurate?

Cellar Dwellers

Prince Fielder

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:42 pm

Hey Greg,

I'll give you a call in the next couple of days. My cell # is still the same, my work situation changed.

Andy

Greg Ambrosius

Prince Fielder

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:58 am

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Let's look at Fielders' situation WITHOUT the pinch-hitting appearances and see how we would handle it. The guy spent SEVEN weeks on the MLB roster last year and he played SEVEN games at first base. On that basis alone, he wouldn't qualify at first base in any Rotisserie league. The Brewers had him on their roster for a reason last year and it wasn't to play first base, unfortunately. There's NO way he should be rewarded with first base eligibility when he played the field seven times in seven weeks. He wasn't some ol' late season callup, and thus he needed more games played at a position to qualify there.Fair point you make here.

Also curious about something Tom mentioned in his chat today regarding Roger Clemens. I believe he said Clemens will be eligible to be drafted even if he is not signed by a MLB club by March 18th. Is this accurate?
[/QUOTE]Yes. We will give everyone the draftable players list a week before Draft Day and it will include 40-man rosters plus additional players that we'll add. That will include unsigned free agents that we deem worthy of being drafted and possibly a few top prospects. We'll also announce this before the draft in each city and the KP facilitators will be responsible for making sure everyone knows this.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius