Slow Draft Monitoring Tool - a new idea

bjesko

Slow Draft Monitoring Tool - a new idea

Post by bjesko » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:45 am

I know there has been some discussion about proper etiquette for these slow drafts and how to deal with repeat slow drafters. One idea I had that may help the NFBC and the players would be a cumulative time monitoring system. Something that tracked how long each owner took between picks and kept a running total. Maybe use a point system so as not to punish someone who is sleeping - 5pts for a pick under 10 mins, 4pts for a pick under 30 mins, 3 pts for a pick under an hour, 2 pts for less than 2 hours, 1 pt for less than 4 hours, 0 pts for 4-8 hours, -2 pts for letting the clock run all the way down.

Make this data available on the website so that owners can see how they stack up, which will create some natural competitive pressure to make picks in a timely manner. Then the NFBC would also have a tool to monitor their drafts for repeat slow offenders. They can either email the worst cases, or better yet, have a penalty system where if you don't get enough points (per round avg) you get pushed back in the draft order 5 slots or something like that. I'm guessing this would speed up the drafts without altering the slow dynamic too much, and in a way that is balanced. Thoughts?

Head 2 Head

Re: Slow Draft Monitoring Tool - a new idea

Post by Head 2 Head » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:01 pm

It would be nice to have this type data show up when a team is signed up for a slow draft.

Some teams are awfully slow in their picks and it causes issues with other owners. In round 42 of my current slow draft one of the teams just posted " <team name> take 8 hours ... we are so fed up with your inconsiderate ways that we don't even care about your complete lack of giving a crap about others. The way I figure it I have 72 more hours((9 rounds) with you and I NEVER have to be in a league with you again. -"

I am ready to sign up for another league, but plan to wait until I can see the first 13 or even 14 owners to be sure that I don't draft with a couple that I have drafted with already this year that were regularly to slow during prime times.

I would love to sign up for a league for teams that had over "200 clock time points" using the method bjesko suggests.

On a side note - I find the Heading for this section of the Message Board "Ask the NFBC a Question" to be funny, as they (admin) seem to not answer. :roll:
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill

bjesko

Post by bjesko » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 pm

I think another good idea would be to offer more 4 hour leagues next year. In this day and age of connectivity and mobile apps, its easy to manage. Heck, I've made picks on my smart phone. I'm guessing lots of fantasy players who have been tormented by slow pickers would quickly jump at the 4 hour option, and 8 hour would fade somewhat. Of course you could stop the clock each night from midnight EST to 6am EST to give everyone a chance to sleep (6 hrs + 4 hrs to choose = 10 hours, I wish I slept that much!) Managers could still make picks, but the clock would suspend timing during this period...

Actually, I see some 4 hours are happening this year. Any feedback from those who are playing this new format?

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:14 pm

I did a four hour draft and thought it was great. I think we finished in exactly one week. Much more active and considerate owners than in some of the regular eight hour drafts. I thought the middle of night might be tricky but as long as you don't mind doing auto pick every now and then, it was really no problem.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Guys, this likely isn't happening where we have rankings of times they pick for every Draft Champions member. I understand why some folks are asking for this, but honestly we have many more important things to finish on the technology side than this one. We are doing everything possible to make the Draft Champions as fast as they can be and that includes offering DC Expresses where all 50 rounds are done in one night and 4-Hour DCs. We are also offering regional DCs, but we haven't filled one up yet.

Honestly, I've heard fewer complaints about slow drafters this year than in any year since we started these. And that's with more new owners in this format than ever before. Again, we'll step in and help where we can to create leagues that keep things moving along (both 4-hour DCs were done in 6 days), but having rankings of players' drafting times isn't happening this year or anytime soon until we get Live Overall Standings and other key features done first.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Head 2 Head wrote:On a side note - I find the Heading for this section of the Message Board "Ask the NFBC a Question" to be funny, as they (admin) seem to not answer. :roll:
Thanks for the rolled eyes, but we do answer all questions when we can. You are correct, sometimes we are so involved with the General NFBC Discussion forum that we miss a question here, but it's not because we're avoiding you folks. We just missed it originally.

We're just bad boys when that question isn't answered in a day or two. Our bad.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius