Backwards

Black Viper

Backwards

Post by Black Viper » Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:11 pm

Isn't this all a little backwards? Shouldn't auction league be for the big bucks and draft style for the kiddies?

The real skill is in the auction style of play. A grand winner of that would be a real champ, not the one of a draft league.

Its like the world championship of poker using wild cards...
none

Leaderboard Sports

Backwards

Post by Leaderboard Sports » Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:32 pm

I'm doing both events but I think the vast majority of Fantasy Baseball players today play 5x5 snake draft Roto.

Both have their own sets of skills needed and I can't really say which I like best. Auction drafts take a lot longer and I don't think there's anyway they could get 300 auction teams to sign up. I think the NFBC just went with the format they thought would give them the best chance at getting 300 members.

Greg Ambrosius

Backwards

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:15 am

The overall grand prize doesn't reflect which way of acquiring MLB players is the best. It's just that it would be impossible to hold auctions across the country and then have everyone compete for the same grand prize. First of all, you have two different set of auction leagues: AL-only and NL-only. There isn't any possible way to throw those stats into an overall Rotisserie league and make any sense of the standings. Secondly, there are more players in the NL than the AL and some stats are even more favorable in one league over the other (i.e. ERA and WHIP are lower in the NL). It's not that I wouldn't like to do an overall grand prize for Auction Leagues, it's just that it's almost impossible to do it fairly and accurately, while you can do that for mixed league drafts. Maybe if we offered mixed auction leagues you could do that, but a small percentage of the country acquire players that way.

The bigger league prize is in the Auction Leagues, so show your mettle and win $7,000 or $7,500 and prove to everyone you are the best in that region of the country.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

la Jolla

Backwards

Post by la Jolla » Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:57 am

IMHO the best way to handle the auction leagues would be to raise the stakes (5k/team) and make it winner take all (minus NFBC's fee) in each league. now that would attract some confident players and be an intense league

Gordon Gekko

Backwards

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:43 am

Originally posted by lajolla:

IMHO the best way to handle the auction leagues would be to raise the stakes (5k/team) and make it winner take all (minus NFBC's fee) in each league. now that would attract some confident players and be an intense league From what perspective is it the best way to handle auction leagues, the customer or the NFBC?

I guess it doesn't matter much. I don't believe many customers would pay $5,000 for a winner take all prize schedule. In fact, it will never happen. Next!

[ January 25, 2004, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

Gordon Gekko

Backwards

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:44 am

I must admit though that auctions are the best way to allocate resources.

[ January 25, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

la Jolla

Backwards

Post by la Jolla » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:54 am

gordon there are plenty of people out there that would put up 5k to play, the only obstacle might be the winner take all, most people seem to like spreading out the winnings. my personal opinion is that the next phase of these type of leagues will be a high end game like i mentioned. whatever company offers it will make their 20% fee, just on a much smaller group of players putting up larger amounts to play. if there were only 1 A.L. and 1 N.L. league the fees would be 25k just to put those people together.

edelman24

Backwards

Post by edelman24 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:30 am

I have to disagree with you , a perfect example happend in fantasy football this year. Thedraft2003 challenged WCOFF by trying to use your philosphy of high end and charged $5000 as an entry fee to the 1350 of wcoff and they only had 36 guys sign up when they were going for 150 and wcoff didnt have enough leagues for the people who wanted in.

la Jolla

Backwards

Post by la Jolla » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:55 am

i am not saying to do away with the leagues that are currently in place by any means, i think they are great for us and profitable for the people that run them. what i was getting at, was the fact that there is a market out there for the high end leagues and i believe that will become available. i was unaware of "thedraft2003", but if 36 people put up 5k in football and only 2 leagues were formed in baseball (1 al/1 nl) that would be a profit of 61k (20%) for whomever brokered them. with the lesser money leagues in place the cost to add the higher money leagues would be minimal, thus sufficing the people that would want to play in those leagues and making a nice profit to boot. thats all i meant by my comment.

Cherokee Nation

Backwards

Post by Cherokee Nation » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:12 pm

Seems stupid to me to play in leagues that punish an owner when he has a player who gets traded to the other league. I'd never participate in something that silly, so it's all a matter of opinion...mixed leagues only for me.
Remember the Constitution and the freedoms we used to have

Greg Ambrosius

Backwards

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:34 am

Weapons, you need to read the Auction League rules because you do not get punished when a player gets traded to the other league after Draft Day. If you draft Carlos Beltran in the AL-only league and he gets traded to the National League on July 31, you continue to retain his stats. We certainly want to eliminate the "luck" factor and thus the rules are written this way. Hope you understand.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Cherokee Nation

Backwards

Post by Cherokee Nation » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:38 pm

Hey Greg,

That's cool. I was being too vague. I'm not playing the auction draft. I'm glad they've changed. The reason I never got into AL or NL only leagues, was because, years ago, when I first got hooked on fantasy baseball, all of the NL or AL leagues I found punished you for out of league trades. I've never considered them since....plus it seems silly to exclude half the players in baseball, but that's just me.

Sorry for being vague...I haven't read your auction rules, was making a general, and apparently inaccurate (by the new rules), statement..........but I still like the draft, like they have in real sports

Cherokee Nation

Backwards

Post by Cherokee Nation » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:27 am

FYI Greg,

I was only messing with this topic, as I found it to be glaringly bold, and even more glaringly wrong. It's all opinions..... but auctions...and leagues that ignore half the players...they're unrealistic and silly. I wouldn't pull this out just for the sake of it, that would be rude...but I didn't start this topic.

uh, I'll give $ 42 for Alex Rodrigues, duh

Please !