Questionable Move?

Schwks

Questionable Move?

Post by Schwks » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:49 am

I think that a move that can not be argued to help a team move up in a category should be challenged and an explanation sought as to what benefit will come to the team making the move. For example in the case at hand, if Laffey and Gallagher both had starts this week and the team owner sought to move up in wins and or strikeouts, its ok. If there is no rational explanation for how it benefits his own team, the move should be disallowed.
schwanks.blogspot.com
Little Bits mostly non-related to fantasy sports...alright maybe a little

Chest Rockwell

Questionable Move?

Post by Chest Rockwell » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:05 am

Originally posted by bjoak:

b quote:Originally posted by Quack & Willy:

Why is it any different than what has happened in several leagues this year where teams that had no chance of cashing, continue to use their FAAB to block others who are bidding on players in Week 26.

It's sad that people not only think that you don't have to manage your team but are also self-righteous about it. When you aren't managing your team and then do something that will *NOT* help you (like Gekko is saying) it's different from grinding until the end (like you're saying).
[/QUOTE]Well said Brian- if you want to grind to the end to beat 14 other guys in a category. Go for it- it makes the league better. I have a very good player in my league who has been in the cellar all year, but stays active. Good for him. Did he take a guy or 2 I would have had in FAAB absolutely,but I applaud him.

Trying to single out one team is wrong- problem is that it is a terribly slippery slope for Greg and Mark tied his hands even more by making it public. BTW I agree with these guys Mark you are way out of line for even suggesting the other guy had anything to do with it.

Quahogs

Questionable Move?

Post by Quahogs » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:37 am

Originally posted by Schwks:

I think that a move that can not be argued to help a team move up in a category should be challenged and an explanation sought as to what benefit will come to the team making the move. For example in the case at hand, if Laffey and Gallagher both had starts this week and the team owner sought to move up in wins and or strikeouts, its ok. If there is no rational explanation for how it benefits his own team, the move should be disallowed. Sure by all means let's drag this game into a subjective reasoning quagmire. Reverse this and get ready for hundreds of other "Is this rational or is it not" decisions by one man. We should really set up a panel with representation too - these type of decisions need to be parried about for a bit :rolleyes:

Schwks

Questionable Move?

Post by Schwks » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:05 am

Maybe Im wrong...but anyone who is helping another player is just plain ruining this great competition. The fundamentally great thing about thisw league is that lack of trades truly makes it every man for himself.

This does not apply to the player who is fighting to the end even as he wallows near the bottom. That is what makes this league so competitive.
schwanks.blogspot.com
Little Bits mostly non-related to fantasy sports...alright maybe a little

Gekko

Questionable Move?

Post by Gekko » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:05 am

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

Trying to single out one team is wrong- problem is that it is a terribly slippery slope for Greg and Mark tied his hands even more by making it public. BTW I agree with these guys Mark you are way out of line for even suggesting the other guy had anything to do with it. 1. why would this need to be resolved in the dark? i think people have a right to know how someone is playing this game and the effect. are you saying greg would rule a different way if this was private?

2. i'm way out of line for SUGGESTING collusion??? that is something we will not agree on. collusion was the FIRST thing to pop in my mind when i saw what happened. to NOT SUGGEST it as a possibility is incredibly ignorant IMO.

NorCalAtlFan

Questionable Move?

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:19 am

You're out of line for making this public WITHOUT knowing the facts. You can infer that fandango did what he did maliciously. But without knowing all the facts, you jumped the gun. And both guys get caught in your crossfire, maybe needlessly. It may appear that one party was not acting "fairly" and because his actions may impact you, you went the route you did. But you should have let Greg and/or Tom handle it without you throwing out accusations that damage the reputation of one player and maybe two.

Gekko

Questionable Move?

Post by Gekko » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:21 am

Originally posted by Quahogs:

Sure by all means let's drag this game into a subjective reasoning quagmire. doesn't Greg make HUNDREDS of "subjective" judgements when it comes to pulling players dropped out of the free agent pool each week.

Gekko

Questionable Move?

Post by Gekko » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:36 am

Originally posted by NorCalAtlFan:

You're out of line for making this public WITHOUT knowing the facts. You can infer that fandango did what he did maliciously. But without knowing all the facts, you jumped the gun. And both guys get caught in your crossfire, maybe needlessly. It may appear that one party was not acting "fairly" and because his actions may impact you, you went the route you did. But you should have let Greg and/or Tom handle it without you throwing out accusations that damage the reputation of one player and maybe two. if my team was involved in a situation that COULD be considered collusion, i would understand if someone asked the question. maybe you wouldn't.

DoubleX

Questionable Move?

Post by DoubleX » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:38 am

Absolutely a dick move, by you for bringing up collusion and posting on the public message boards that an owner fighting you for 1st conspired to win his league by having another guy (who can't stand you) tank a catagory without an ounce of proof that they conspired.

Dick move pulling his closers as well but that is the extent of it. Tough situation but you are not the first to deal with this and the outcome of your league isn't set in stone by any means.

Quahogs

Questionable Move?

Post by Quahogs » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:39 am

Originally posted by Gekko and The King:

quote:Originally posted by Quahogs:

Sure by all means let's drag this game into a subjective reasoning quagmire. doesn't Greg make HUNDREDS of "subjective" judgements when it comes to pulling players dropped out of the free agent pool each week. [/QUOTE]I have no idea. But choosing to override an individual's roster is a wee more calamitous than posting that 14 teams can't bid on a dropped Stephen Drew.

NorCalAtlFan

Questionable Move?

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:43 am

quote:Originally posted by NorCalAtlFan:

You're out of line for making this public WITHOUT knowing the facts. You can infer that fandango did what he did maliciously. But without knowing all the facts, you jumped the gun. And both guys get caught in your crossfire, maybe needlessly. It may appear that one party was not acting "fairly" and because his actions may impact you, you went the route you did. But you should have let Greg and/or Tom handle it without you throwing out accusations that damage the reputation of one player and maybe two. if my team was involved in a situation that COULD be considered collusion, i would understand if someone asked the question. maybe you wouldn't. [/QUOTE]that's laughable. but not surprising.

Gekko

Questionable Move?

Post by Gekko » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:45 am

Originally posted by NorCalAtlFan:

quote:Originally posted by Gekko and The King:

quote:Originally posted by NorCalAtlFan:

You're out of line for making this public WITHOUT knowing the facts. You can infer that fandango did what he did maliciously. But without knowing all the facts, you jumped the gun. And both guys get caught in your crossfire, maybe needlessly. It may appear that one party was not acting "fairly" and because his actions may impact you, you went the route you did. But you should have let Greg and/or Tom handle it without you throwing out accusations that damage the reputation of one player and maybe two. if my team was involved in a situation that COULD be considered collusion, i would understand if someone asked the question. maybe you wouldn't. [/QUOTE]that's laughable. but not surprising.
[/QUOTE]as was your post.

Gekko

Questionable Move?

Post by Gekko » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:55 am

FYI - I cleaned up the first post to remove content some people deemed questionable.

Lunatic

Questionable Move?

Post by Lunatic » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:05 am

Whew, I am glad you did that now I can believe the post never happened. I read the 1st post and never thought it was collusion for a second; it was just a guy who does not like you and doing what he can to keep you from winning;
Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying...Ralph Waldo Emerson

Gekko

Questionable Move?

Post by Gekko » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:10 am

Originally posted by Lunatic:

it was just a guy who does not like you and doing what he can to keep you from winning; that is certainly one possibility.

[ September 29, 2009, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Gekko ]

Greg Ambrosius

Questionable Move?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:33 am

FYI - I cleaned up the first post to remove content some people deemed questionable. I think the big C word has already been out there long enough, Mark, along with questioning the integrity of the first place owner, the league itself, Scott of course and the NFBC in general. It's provided a good debate on right vs. wrong and I think we all fall on the side of right, but again to answer your initial question there's little doubt that Scott was being a you-know-what to you.

I haven't hooked up with either party yet today, but I'm still trying. I certainly won't be changing anyone's lineup during this final week as I don't have any right to do so. That being said, we want owners in the NFBC who can behave themselves on Draft Day, can compete to the bitter end in all of their leagues and who have the competitive nature to fight for every single point even when their teams are doing poorly. If we have more than one instance of this not happening with any owner, it may be time for folks to part ways.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Questionable Move?

Post by Gekko » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:25 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

quote:Originally posted by Gekko and The King:

FYI - I cleaned up the first post to remove content some people deemed questionable. I think the big C word has already been out there long enough, Mark, along with questioning the integrity of the first place owner, the league itself, Scott of course and the NFBC in general. It's provided a good debate on right vs. wrong and I think we all fall on the side of right, but again to answer your initial question there's little doubt that Scott was being a you-know-what to you.

I haven't hooked up with either party yet today, but I'm still trying. I certainly won't be changing anyone's lineup during this final week as I don't have any right to do so. That being said, we want owners in the NFBC who can behave themselves on Draft Day, can compete to the bitter end in all of their leagues and who have the competitive nature to fight for every single point even when their teams are doing poorly. If we have more than one instance of this not happening with any owner, it may be time for folks to part ways.
[/QUOTE]thank you for looking into it. i am very interested in hearing what you find out. i guess i should stop posting on MB for fear that i will **** someone off and then they'll intentially screw me if they get a chance.

guess it's just one more time i need to bend over and take it (just like i've done twice in five years with H2H in football). sure hope something like this doesn't happen to any of you. i didn't sign up for this and from the way some of you talk, this is COMMONPLACE. :confused: if true, i'm not sure i can support that message moving forward.

Gekko

Questionable Move?

Post by Gekko » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:03 pm

[ September 29, 2009, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Gekko ]

rkulaski

Questionable Move?

Post by rkulaski » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Wow, I just read this thread...

Mark/GG,

Sorry to hear about this. If 2 guys don't like each other for whatever reason, that's fine. But there are certain things you just don't do. It's like 2 boxers who don't like each other and one swings below the belt. Sounds like this guy took a punch at you below the belt. Classless move.

Fantasy sports or real sports, it's ok to not like the competition but, there is never, ever, ever an excuse for poor sportsmanship.

I don't always like or always agree with your comments or your "messageboards" personality, but you do not deserve something like this. I also think if the situation were reversed, you would not swing below the belt like this guy did. The good news is that if there is any way at all for Greg to fix this now or in the future, he will. NFBC is all about doing the right thing.

(just my 2cents this is a public issue now). Rich
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

rkulaski

Questionable Move?

Post by rkulaski » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:04 pm

Originally posted by rkulaski:

Wow, I just read this thread...

Mark/GG,

Sorry to hear about this. If 2 guys don't like each other for whatever reason, that's fine. But there are certain things you just don't do. It's like 2 boxers who don't like each other and one swings below the belt. Sounds like this guy took a punch at you below the belt. Classless move.

Fantasy sports or real sports, it's ok to not like the competition but, there is never, ever, ever an excuse for poor sportsmanship.

I don't always like or always agree with your comments or your "messageboards" personality, but you do not deserve something like this. I also think if the situation were reversed, you would not swing below the belt like this guy did. The good news is that if there is any way at all for Greg to fix this now or in the future, he will. NFBC is all about doing the right thing.

(just my 2cents since this is a public issue now). Rich
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Ryan C

Questionable Move?

Post by Ryan C » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Wow - very unfortunate turn of events for any I let alone one of the NFBC high profile events.

I'm not really going to weigh in on the specifics - because there's been enough of that already.

Too bad this schmuck had to mess with the battle you too are having. I hope for the both of you that whoever comes out victorious, the saves issue isn't the deciding factor - BN Bears doesn't deserve to have his potential victory spoiled by a someone else's personal vendetta and GG doesn't deserve to potentially lose that way either. Good luck to you both.

I personally have no problem with Fandango getting called out on this one - I know I'll never play in a league he's signed up for.
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

Gekko

Questionable Move?

Post by Gekko » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:11 pm

Originally posted by billywaz:

quote:Originally posted by Quack & Willy:

Why is it any different than what has happened in several leagues this year where teams that had no chance of cashing, continue to use their FAAB to block others who are bidding on players in Week 26.

I was thinking the same thing.

Happened in my satellite league this past week where someone spent their remaining $$$ on two pitchers (Narveson and can't remember the other). They spent over $200 on each!

Problem is they are in 10th or 11th place and in NO WAY in contention. I didn't dig deep like Gekko to see why, but logic would say there is SOME motive there.

The NFBC/NFFC shouldn't be in the business of worrying how people manage their rosters (they have enough to do).

I have been screwed by "incompetence" (and I don't think it was intentional) where someone decided not to field a full lineup in football, and was playing an opponent who I was in a tight race with giving them a "free" win.

**** happens. It sucks, but it isn't breaking rules. I'm good friends with you Mark, and I know you don't like my opinion here, but that is just the way I see it.

Like I said before, the best advice moving forward is DON'T MAKE ENEMIES! ;)
[/QUOTE]and before i forget, this post adds nothing to the discussion. i'm not talking about teams remaining competitive and making pickups. you say they are blocking, why couldn't they just be making pickups to stay competitive??? in any event, when they are picking up players, they aren't blocking one individual owner, like fandango has singled me out. EVERYONE is affected. neither of your examples fit and just cloud the real issue. poor examples billy. good job piling on. that's what friends are for i guess :rolleyes:

Gekko

Questionable Move?

Post by Gekko » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:17 pm

Originally posted by Ryan Carey:

I hope for the both of you that whoever comes out victorious, the saves issue isn't the deciding factor for fandango's sake, i hope it isn't either.

[ September 29, 2009, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Gekko ]

Quahogs

Questionable Move?

Post by Quahogs » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:17 pm

"Is it saves?"

King of Queens

Questionable Move?

Post by King of Queens » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:26 pm

I will have my revenge...in Week 26!

MWAAAAHAAAHAAAHAAAHAAAHAAA!!!!!!