Jay Bruce

RobG

Jay Bruce

Post by RobG » Tue May 27, 2008 2:51 am

So it looks like Bruce is being called up tonight, what is everyone predicting for his final numbers?

I say .283, 16 HR, 52 R, 44 RBI, 7 SB
Rob Giese

Edwards Kings

Jay Bruce

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue May 27, 2008 3:38 am

But the question is, will the Reds release Patterson?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

RobG

Jay Bruce

Post by RobG » Tue May 27, 2008 3:47 am

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

But the question is, will the Reds release Patterson? Well if the Tigers can cut Jaque Jones and his contract, no reason the Reds wouldn't do the same with Patterson. Even if he is cut, I do worry that Freel will get the splits with Bruce.
Rob Giese

Edwards Kings

Jay Bruce

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue May 27, 2008 4:22 am

Just read a report that suggests Hatteberg is the one to be released. Interesting as Scott can be a decent bat off the bench.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DiamondKing

Jay Bruce

Post by DiamondKing » Tue May 27, 2008 10:57 am

I heard a report that the reds signed Patterson for 3.5 million.He was sitting at home with no other teams in the bidding.Seems like they could have had him for a lot less money.This is the type of signing that makes you scratch your head when the teams cry poverty.
All pigs are created equal.Some are more equal than others.

rockitsauce

Jay Bruce

Post by rockitsauce » Tue May 27, 2008 12:27 pm

The x factor is Griffey...can they find a team willing to take on his contract?

As a Bruce owner in multiple lgs, I'm hopin' for 20 hr's & 10 sb's.
Always be closing.

sportsbettingman

Jay Bruce

Post by sportsbettingman » Tue May 27, 2008 4:04 pm

That kid looks legit!

What a great first game!

I felt a smile inside just watching him play out his dream...THAT's what baseball is all about!

I wish I had him in any of my 3 leagues.

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

LONG GONE

Jay Bruce

Post by LONG GONE » Tue May 27, 2008 5:43 pm

The Next David Wright. Offensive force!

Captain Hook

Jay Bruce

Post by Captain Hook » Wed May 28, 2008 11:45 am

Originally posted by DiamondKing:

I heard a report that the reds signed Patterson for 3.5 million.He was sitting at home with no other teams in the bidding.Seems like they could have had him for a lot less money.This is the type of signing that makes you scratch your head when the teams cry poverty. That is not quite true - in spring training Patterson was at home, but looking for work - when the Reds contacted him they agreed to a minor league contract and the invitation to spring training...but the agreement had a $3.5 million trigger IF he made the team out of spring training - so when they decided in late March he was their best option for CF to open the season it activated that agreement.

He does have options though and was sent to AAA Louisville for now....

DiamondKing

Jay Bruce

Post by DiamondKing » Wed May 28, 2008 12:05 pm

Originally posted by Captain Hook:

quote:Originally posted by DiamondKing:

I heard a report that the reds signed Patterson for 3.5 million.He was sitting at home with no other teams in the bidding.Seems like they could have had him for a lot less money.This is the type of signing that makes you scratch your head when the teams cry poverty. That is not quite true - in spring training Patterson was at home, but looking for work - when the Reds contacted him they agreed to a minor league contract and the invitation to spring training...but the agreement had a $3.5 million trigger IF he made the team out of spring training - so when they decided in late March he was their best option for CF to open the season it activated that agreement.

He does have options though and was sent to AAA Louisville for now....
[/QUOTE]The point still remains...He was sitting on the lazyboy waiting for offers.No other teams were knocking on the door.The Reds bid against nobody to get his services for 3.5 million.Consider that with the whole purpose of keeping Bruce down was to save super two money.Two months of Freel or others (Lofton) or a more realistic offer to Patterson just seems more logical to me.

RobG

Jay Bruce

Post by RobG » Wed May 28, 2008 12:56 pm

Well, on another note...Bruce just stole another base and scored a run. This could be the start of a nice rookie season.
Rob Giese

Liquidhippo

Jay Bruce

Post by Liquidhippo » Wed May 28, 2008 1:01 pm

Originally posted by rockitsauce:

The x factor is Griffey...can they find a team willing to take on his contract?

As a Bruce owner in multiple lgs, I'm hopin' for 20 hr's & 10 sb's. Seattle will.

Cooperstown

Jay Bruce

Post by Cooperstown » Wed May 28, 2008 3:02 pm

Would any of the 26% of Bruce "owners that started him" care to to enlighten me as to whether they played a hunch, or KNEW he was being called up. And if you knew, what freakin' website do you subscribe to.

thank you

Gordon Gekko

Jay Bruce

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed May 28, 2008 3:14 pm

I have him in a 250 satellite league and I KNEW he was getting called up with 99% certainity on monday. I put him in my lineup before the deadline.

Website = GekkoIndustries.com

RobG

Jay Bruce

Post by RobG » Wed May 28, 2008 5:04 pm

Originally posted by Cooperstown:

Would any of the 26% of Bruce "owners that started him" care to to enlighten me as to whether they played a hunch, or KNEW he was being called up. And if you knew, what freakin' website do you subscribe to.

thank you I can't lie. I got the ESPN text message at about 6:40 while I was out playing bocce ball, hurried up and got him in the lineup with about two minutes to spare.
Rob Giese

DiamondKing

Jay Bruce

Post by DiamondKing » Wed May 28, 2008 10:53 pm

thank you I had played a hunch and put him in my line up monday morning.Took my wife to the movie that day.Leaving the theater at about 1700 XM had the report on the baseball channel.

Cooperstown

Jay Bruce

Post by Cooperstown » Thu May 29, 2008 7:58 am

Originally posted by DiamondKing:

quote:Originally posted by Cooperstown:

thank you I had played a hunch and put him in my line up monday morning.Took my wife to the movie that day.Leaving the theater at about 1700 XM had the report on the baseball channel.
[/QUOTE]I figured most were hunches. I had a hunch too but didn't bite. I would have put him in for Haffner if I knew he'd be out for a few days. Missed that news in time too.

I hope it rains in Cin all weekend!!!!

Edwards Kings

Jay Bruce

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu May 29, 2008 8:13 am

[/QUOTE]I figured most were hunches. I had a hunch too but didn't bite. I would have put him in for Haffner if I knew he'd be out for a few days. Missed that news in time too.

[/QUOTE]Jeff..buddy...I was wondering where you have been hiding! Looks like I am right behind you stuck in the second (I am being nice to myself) division. How in the world are you?

When Bruce got called up I could not remember off the top of my head who had him in my league, but my "hunch" was it was Dave. The strong get stronger! Anybody want to trade for Freel?
Charles Krauthammer

Cooperstown

Jay Bruce

Post by Cooperstown » Thu May 29, 2008 9:37 am

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

[/QUOTE]Jeff..buddy...I was wondering where you have been hiding! Looks like I am right behind you stuck in the second (I am being nice to myself) division. How in the world are you?

When Bruce got called up I could not remember off the top of my head who had him in my league, but my "hunch" was it was Dave. The strong get stronger! Anybody want to trade for Freel?
[/QUOTE]Wayne, I'm fabulous. Been busy with a client out of town and have been traveling way too much. I've had to give up my other leagues, but just couldn't give up this one.

I grabbed Bruce with last years Braun in mind. I sure hope it pans out. My pitching is carrying me so far. I'm thinking of starting another post called "biggest draft day mistake". Mine would be loading up on Indians. Never thought that team would't drive in a lot of runs.

I'll catch up with you later. Back to work now. It sucks when you don't have time for fantasy baseball.

Thunder

Jay Bruce

Post by Thunder » Sat May 31, 2008 3:05 am

chris sabo, who has something to do with the reds minor league system, says bruce may be the best player to EVER come up from the reds minor leagues. not sure what goggles he was wearing when he said this, though.
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION
"we don't rebuild, we reload"

sportsbettingman

Jay Bruce

Post by sportsbettingman » Sat May 31, 2008 1:44 pm

Another notch in his belt tonight!!!

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

Greg Ambrosius

Jay Bruce

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:22 am

It's interesting to note that Bruce was drafted in all 30 NFBC main event, Super and Ultimate Leagues and his Average Draft Position was 285 (19th round). He was drafted as high as 184th and as low as 349th. Give everyone credit for grabbing this guy when they did as he sure looks special now.

Can he be this year's Ryan Braun, Hunter Pence or Troy Tulowitzki? Those three sure made a mark on the NFBC standings last year after May callups. Good luck to all over these last four months of the season.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius