Milledge Sent Down

RobG

Milledge Sent Down

Post by RobG » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:56 am

Wow, talk about a quick trigger from the GM.
Rob Giese

Quahogs

Milledge Sent Down

Post by Quahogs » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:30 am

Too much style, not enough substance

Gordon Gekko II

Milledge Sent Down

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:48 am

maybe he'll get traded to the white sox :D

The Mighty Men

Milledge Sent Down

Post by The Mighty Men » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:52 am

I guess that is one answer to their OF problem!
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

DOUGHBOYS

Milledge Sent Down

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:59 am

Also Beckett gets a 6-day suspension.

Is there any other sport that has as meaningless of a suspension as a pitcher in baseball? It amounts to waiting for a week with an off day so it doesen't affect the team and maybe even helps out the suspended party with an extra day of rest.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

KJ Duke

Milledge Sent Down

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:25 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:

maybe he'll get traded to the white sox :D Best idea you've had all year GG!

And a lot of the southsider fans may tolerate his "basketball star" mentality.

headhunters

Milledge Sent Down

Post by headhunters » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:27 am

sox signed pods to play center.

Gordon Gekko II

Milledge Sent Down

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:28 am

Originally posted by headhunters:

sox signed pods to play center. i give that a week, tops :D

milledge to the white sox!!! woot woot!! :cool:

Dirt Dogs

Milledge Sent Down

Post by Dirt Dogs » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:45 am

No way, I say you drop him and cut your losses. You cant lose that bench spot for the whole year. Cut him and move on, think of the players your going to miss out on holding him for a whole year.

The next guy to be added to the FAAB dump..
A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart

Gordon Gekko II

Milledge Sent Down

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:02 am

Originally posted by Dirt Dogs:

No way, I say you drop him and cut your losses. You cant lose that bench spot for the whole year. Cut him and move on, think of the players your going to miss out on holding him for a whole year.

The next guy to be added to the FAAB dump.. i'll cut him once you cut snell

Gordon Gekko II

Milledge Sent Down

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:09 am

The Washington Post's Thomas Boswell saw this coming:

For example, the Nats are tired of Lastings Milledge, their 24-year-old center fielder, acting like a 10-year veteran who has earned a central position in their locker room when, in fact, he has accomplished little. When he doesn't show up until 30 minutes before team stretching exercises or is late to a team meeting the day before Opening Day, it sends a bad message that honors are given before they are earned in the Nats' world.

So don't be surprised if, fairly soon, the Nats' clogged outfield problem is solved, at least temporarily, in an unexpected way: by sending Milledge back to the minor leagues. He's a gifted athlete but, both in center field and as a leadoff hitter, he is still an unpolished and undisciplined player. The Nats' front office still refers to the zig-zag routes he runs to fly balls, like two more adventures yesterday, as "pass patterns" because he breaks in so many different directions. As a leadoff man, he seems to have no sense of his get-on-base role.

If the Nats take this course, they can put Elijah Dukes, whom one executive refers to as "a warrior," in center field. Milledge is an athlete learning to play baseball. Dukes is an athlete who is both a baseball player and a fierce competitor. That fire has often burned far too hot for his own good, but, if channeled, it could be central force on a good Nats team on some future day.

Gordon Gekko II

Milledge Sent Down

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:12 am

milledge was a player i wanted ACROSS THE BOARD ON EVERY ONE OF MY 6 TEAMS. i only got him on 2 of the teams however.

i remember bidding him up in the auction with red sox nation. glad i didn't go the extra buck

Gordon Gekko II

Milledge Sent Down

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:16 am

By Moshe Mandel, on April 13th, 2009

On a related note, I have been advocating that the Yankees take advantage of the Nationals outfielder surplus and nab Elijah Dukes on the cheap. However, some here have voiced concerns about his violent history and poor makeup. Well, according to Phil Wood of MASN, Lastings Milledge may soon become the odd man out in Washington:

"Speaking with Ray Knight this evening prior to Nats Xtra, we both agree that, as things currently stand, Milledge is the fifth outfielder. Looking at the quintet of Milledge, Austin Kearns, Elijah Dukes, Adam Dunn and Josh Willingham, Lastings - in terms of big league accomplishments - ranks last.

Having 5 outfielders who are all basically starters is a bigger problem than it looks. I can’t help but think that Dunn, Dukes and either Willingham or Kearns would provide more offense AND defense than Milledge has shown.

I know that Mike Rizzo has been working the phones trying to make a deal to lessen the logjam out there. I’ve heard from scouts that Milledge has legitimate trade value, given his age, his relatively low salary, and his offensive output during the second half last year."

Red Sox Nation

Milledge Sent Down

Post by Red Sox Nation » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:17 am

milledge was a player i wanted ACROSS THE BOARD ON EVERY ONE OF MY 6 TEAMS. i only got him on 2 of the teams however.

i remember bidding him up in the auction with red sox nation. glad i didn't go the extra buck I could use that $18!!! This one is tough to swallow. Injuries and lack of performance are gonna happen to anyone. What makes this one so difficult as a Milledge owner is that it's his attitude that has him in AAA. Doesn't he know people spend their hard earned income on him in fantasy baseball? He needs a good a** kicking in AAA and then a trade to the White Sox.
2004 NYY "The Greatest Choke in the History of Sports"

rockitsauce

Milledge Sent Down

Post by rockitsauce » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:21 am

sox signed pods to play center. great move. Bring back the world series hero!
Always be closing.

headhunters

Milledge Sent Down

Post by headhunters » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:32 am

dear gordo- most of the outfielders you drafted got about a week- so pods will fit right in. sox just do not have the $ to spend i do not believe. there are just way too many options out there if $ were not the reason. but in time dukes, milledge and gomez should all be available.

DOUGHBOYS

Milledge Sent Down

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:39 am

By Moshe Mandel, on April 13th, 2009

On a related note, I have been advocating that the Yankees take advantage of the Nationals outfielder surplus and nab Elijah Dukes on the cheap. However, some here have voiced concerns about his violent history and poor makeup. Well, according to Phil Wood of MASN, Lastings Milledge may soon become the odd man out in Washington:

"Speaking with Ray Knight this evening prior to Nats Xtra, we both agree that, as things currently stand, Milledge is the fifth outfielder. Looking at the quintet of Milledge, Austin Kearns, Elijah Dukes, Adam Dunn and Josh Willingham, Lastings - in terms of big league accomplishments - ranks last.

Having 5 outfielders who are all basically starters is a bigger problem than it looks. I can’t help but think that Dunn, Dukes and either Willingham or Kearns would provide more offense AND defense than Milledge has shown.

I know that Mike Rizzo has been working the phones trying to make a deal to lessen the logjam out there. I’ve heard from scouts that Milledge has legitimate trade value, given his age, his relatively low salary, and his offensive output during the second half last year." :D :D

Yankees nabbing somebody on the cheap...

:D :D
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Dub

Milledge Sent Down

Post by Dub » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:39 am

i remember bidding him up in the auction with red sox nation. glad i didn't go the extra buck If that an admission- then you are on the road towards recovery.

Omar really got the better end of the Church/ Schneider trade.
"I don't remmeber what I don't remember.”- Jerry Garcia

Gordon Gekko II

Milledge Sent Down

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:01 am

dear gordo- most of the outfielders you drafted got about a week- so pods will fit right in. sox just do not have the $ to spend i do not believe. there are just way too many options out there if $ were not the reason. but in time dukes, milledge and gomez should all be available. your MOMMA :D

Gordon Gekko II

Milledge Sent Down

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:02 am

Originally posted by Dub:

quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:

i remember bidding him up in the auction with red sox nation. glad i didn't go the extra buck If that an admission- then you are on the road towards recovery.

Omar really got the better end of the Church/ Schneider trade.
[/QUOTE]admission of what? that i'll take more lumps than most people and still beat them? :eek: ;)

billywaz

Milledge Sent Down

Post by billywaz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:04 pm

No worries. Either a trade or a Nick Johnson/Elijah Dukes injury and Milledge will be playing SOMEWHERE within two weeks!

Just a matter of what happens first!

eddiejag

Milledge Sent Down

Post by eddiejag » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:05 pm

Milledge went in the 7th round in the ultimate.Have to admit no interst in Milledge or Dukes.I was an Adam Jones man.
EDWARD J GILLIS

King of Queens

Milledge Sent Down

Post by King of Queens » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:12 pm

Originally posted by Dub:

Omar really got the better end of the Church/ Schneider trade. At least one person disagrees with you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf6VDK3WLbs

rkulaski

Milledge Sent Down

Post by rkulaski » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:03 pm

Originally posted by eddiejag:

Milledge went in the 7th round in the ultimate.Have to admit no interst in Milledge or Dukes.I was an Adam Jones man. Jones looks like a great pick this year. I was so-so on Jones unfortunately. I was a S-Choo man this year- tried to get him on every team. He was so good to me last year during the end of the season. Adam jones, from beginning to end, not so much. I think my previous experience of owning jones last year swayed me too much against him this year... and with choo, it was just the opposite.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

King of Queens

Milledge Sent Down

Post by King of Queens » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:24 pm

Originally posted by rkulaski:

Jones looks like a great pick this year. I was so-so on Jones unfortunately. I was a S-Choo man this year- tried to get him on every team. He was so good to me last year during the end of the season. Adam jones, from beginning to end, not so much. I think my previous experience of owning jones last year swayed me too much against him this year... and with choo, it was just the opposite. I'd guess almost every fantasy player has succumbed to this. If a player burns you, you tend to avoid him in future years.