Real Baseball Stuff

DOUGHBOYS

Real Baseball Stuff

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:03 am

Just how bad are the Nationals?

They have an outside chance of breaking the '62 Mets record for futility of 42 wins and 120 losses.

They have nine, count'em nine, road wins this year!

They have played 14 road series. My math isn't too good, but I think that comes out to just over a win every two series! Look for the Nats to come to a town near you!

The National League East as a whole is getting beaten like a drum. Only the Phillies have a winning record vs the West and Central.

As a whole, the National League is bad. The Dodgers have the best record in baseball, after them the team with the best record in the National League is...gulp...the Giants.

My opinion is that by playoff time the Red Sox, Yankees, Rays, and Phillies will be teams I would not want to play during the playoffs.

The Red Sox have more pitching than they know what to do with. Purchasing a Holliday type bat would help them immensely. It may be the crushing blow to other teams. Of Bay, Ortiz, Drew, or Holliday which would you put at 1b, if Lowell is shelved?

The Yankees will have CC, AJ, and Pettitte(get some initials, Andy!), and hopefully by then have the good sense to put Joba back in the pen for a Hughes, Joba, Rivera killer bullpen.

The Rays will need a few things to happen. Another bat and a bullpen arm and maybe even a starter...even armed with that wishlist, the Red Sox and Yankees may have added too much talent on them over the year.

The Phils need pitching. Period. Moyer has no more tricks. Myers is gone. They are left with innings ravaged Hamels, innings eater Blanton, and innings please Happ.

The Dodgers? They'll make the playoffs. They may even win the first series. But I expect Torre's staff to be so thin by playoff time that fans will forget why they had the best record in baseball.

[ July 10, 2009, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

KJ Duke

Real Baseball Stuff

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:05 pm

Can I use this thread to officially jump on the "Joba ain't no starter" bandwagon?

Over the 100+ years of professional baseball, has a #8 hitter ever gone .325, 25 HR, 40 SB? Joe Torre is still an idiot.

[ July 10, 2009, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

DOUGHBOYS

Real Baseball Stuff

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:13 pm

Climb aboard, Kevin, there's lots of room! :D

And thanks for the heads up.

My PM box is cleared.

[ July 11, 2009, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
On my tombstone-

sportsbettingman

Real Baseball Stuff

Post by sportsbettingman » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:00 am

We're enjoying the prime years of possibly the funniest/bluntest manager ever to manage the bigs in Ozzie Guillen.

I hope he goes on to manage into his 70's and keeps telling it like he sees it.

He really adds some spice to MLB.

[ July 11, 2009, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: sportsbettingman ]
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

DOUGHBOYS

Real Baseball Stuff

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:12 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

Can I use this thread to officially jump on the "Joba ain't no starter" bandwagon?

Over the 100+ years of professional baseball, has a #8 hitter ever gone .325, 25 HR, 40 SB? Joe Torre is still an idiot. Torre never has liked Kemp. He loves the athleticism, but lets how he plays the game effect where he puts him in the lineup.

Yeah, an idiot.

As for being in the playoffs, Torre is like a bad civil war general. He'll use and abuse his troops all summer through small battles and scrapes, then wonder why they aren't performing in the fall.
On my tombstone-