Dewayne Wise saves the day....

Ryan C

Post by Ryan C » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:14 am

Dewayne Wise made a spectacular catch robbing Gabe Kapler of a home run in the ninth inning to help keep Mark Buerhle's PEFECT GAME intact. Wise was inserted in the game in the 9th as a defensive replacment and WOW - what a great move by Ozzie.

Congrats to Mark Buerhle.
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:18 am

what a catch!

Ryan C

Post by Ryan C » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:23 am

I was lucky to catch an update on ESPN and quickly went to the computer and caught the last two innings.

That is definitely the best catch I have ever seen made to preserve a no-hitter.
Mastersball

“You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.” - Albert Einstein

JohnZ

Post by JohnZ » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:26 am

Originally posted by Ryan Carey:

I was lucky to catch an update on ESPN and quickly went to the computer and caught the last two innings.

That is definitely the best catch I have ever seen made to preserve a no-hitter. Me too...

Buehrle and Washburn :D :D

billywaz

Post by billywaz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:28 am

Arguably the greatest CLUTCH catch of ALL TIME!

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:34 am

Meanwhile, Jonthan Sanchez is still cursing Juan Uribe!

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:48 am

class move by tb- stood and applauded buerle after the game. usa today said game lasted 2 hours 3 minutes. buerle was on mound for only 32 minutes. some guys take that long to pitch the 1st inning.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:38 am

Definitely going to re-watch the archived game on MLB.com.

Knowing how it turns out could make it even more fun!

I listened to the replay on the radio, but need to see that historic catch!
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:47 am

Watching Buehrle pitch is always a pleasure.

He pitches like he has a train to catch. The only Tampa hitter to step out on him was Zobrist. And that was for mere moments.

For comic relief, count the seconds between Buehrle's pitches in an inning and then count the seconds between Carlos Zambrano's.

Wise sold out on the catch. Wall or no wall, his body language said that he was making maximum effort to catch the ball.

And a great catch it was. Good stuff.

[ July 24, 2009, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:48 pm

MLB.com has 5 and a half min video showing all 27 outs in a row. Classic Hawk Harrilson on the play by play.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Ryan C

Post by Ryan C » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Here is a link to the catch and an interview with D Wise

ESPN
Mastersball

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:44 pm

Is it just me, or did "showboating" flash into your head when you saw the open glove?

Did he open it to make sure he caught it?

What if by double checking to see if he indeed caught it...he dropped it? Would have put a whammy on his career.

Turned out great...but I was surprised to see the guy with the web of his glove wide open when it was voluntary and not caused by impact.

~Albert Einstein

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:45 pm

Another note...Ozzie was nowhere to be found in the on field celebration?

That team has some pretty cool chemistry IMO.

~Albert Einstein

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:26 am

ya- i think you are the only one. . 1) wise hit the wall going about 20 miles an hour. go out in your yard and run into your wall as fast as you can and see how much "showboating" you are thinking about. 2) ozzie did come on field. last time he gave the lineup card to buerle. this time he was with buerles wife and baby girl. he let the players celebrate because he isn't a player. mark and ozzie get along great.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:44 am

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

Is it just me, or did "showboating" flash into your head when you saw the open glove?

What if by double checking to see if he indeed caught it...he dropped it? Would have put a whammy on his career.

Turned out great...but I was surprised to see the guy with the web of his glove wide open when it was voluntary and not caused by impact. Lance, no showboating involved. When you snocone a catch, you can feel the ball rolling out of the glove. Alot of outfielders don't have the presence of mind to look down at their glove, Wise did.

Look at the play in normal pace, there is just no time for showboating.

[ July 24, 2009, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
On my tombstone-

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:56 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:

quote:Originally posted by sportsbettingman:

Turned out great...but I was surprised to see the guy with the web of his glove wide open when it was voluntary and not caused by impact. Lance, no showboating involved. When you snocone a catch, you can feel the ball rolling out of the glove. Alot of outfielders don't have the presence of mind to look down at their glove, Wise did.

Look at the play in normal pace, there is just no time for showboating.
[/QUOTE]From today's Chicago Sun-Times;

Those who weren't sure if he was going to hang on are in good company. Wise wasn't so sure, either.

''I knew I had a shot,'' he said of his dead sprint to the wall and subsequent collision. ''I didn't realize the ball was in my glove until as I was falling. That's when it started to come out. When I hit the wall, the ball kind of hit my glove at the same time, so I couldn't really feel it.''

Wise had the presence of mind to corral the ball with his bare hand before it fell, and Buehrle retired the next two Rays hitters to complete the perfect game.
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:17 am

Originally posted by headhunters:

ya- i think you are the only one. . 1) wise hit the wall going about 20 miles an hour. go out in your yard and run into your wall as fast as you can and see how much "showboating" you are thinking about. 2) ozzie did come on field. last time he gave the lineup card to buerle. this time he was with buerles wife and baby girl. he let the players celebrate because he isn't a player. mark and ozzie get along great. A) Wise sprinted to GET to the ball, then slowed up to size up the leap.

B) I meant the Ozzie comment as a complement...I really like that team.

C) For DOUGH...there's ALWAYS time to showboat! :D :D

~Albert Einstein

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:54 am

he slowed up from 30 miles an hour to 20. you need to watch more closely- be bounced about 5 ft after he caught it. you just look for stuff on this kind of thing. it is just a ridiculous conclusion.

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:56 am

on the sox- they are fun to watch- but man could we use some new announcers- although stone is helping me keep my sanity. farmer is just brutal on the radio. i think vin scully will be better when he is dead than farmer is now.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:20 am

Originally posted by headhunters:

on the sox- they are fun to watch- but man could we use some new announcers- although stone is helping me keep my sanity. farmer is just brutal on the radio. i think vin scully will be better when he is dead than farmer is now. I've listened to Farmer on XM two of the last three days. Horrible!

Steve Stone is my favorite analyst of all time. He calls pitches before they come. Concise, expert analysis with a touch of smart-ass thrown in. Love him.

Unfortunately Harrelson thinks he has to talk ALL the time and doesen't give Stone enough time. Harrelson gets old real fast to those that are not White Sox fans. But to waste Stone while he reminisces about the old days is just a crime.
On my tombstone-