Grandy Deal and New Boards

Schwks

Post by Schwks » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:44 am

RE the new boards

1) I still see a ton of missing posts and threads, and I dont know if that is the reason, but:

2) Last year, I loved these boards. There was a ton of debate about different organizations and how they ran their franchises, individual players and their roto worth, etc...I have seen virtually none of tht this year

On to fantasy talk, the GRandy deal is a total winner for the Yanks. I love the way Grandy plays the game...and when he is right, the ball jumps off of his bat. If the Yanks re-sign Damon...they will have one of best offensive lineups in recent memory. Realistically, a team like the Yankees cant afford slow moving prospects like Austin jackson or Ian Kennedy...either you make it in NY fast, or you get shipped out and get your chance in other places (Lilly, J Rivera, AL Leiter)
schwanks.blogspot.com
Little Bits mostly non-related to fantasy sports...alright maybe a little

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:15 am

I don't think the posts are missing from this thread, you just need to find them right now. The last post in this Forum was more than 45 days ago outside of this thread and one other, so when you go to the Fantasy/MLB Talk Forum and you see in the upper right hand column a pulldown that says "Show topics From last 45 Days" just pull down to "Show topics from past year" and all of them will appear.

The threads appear to all be here, but some of them may be hidden in this fashion. It was exactly the same on the other boards. In fact, these are those other boards. We haven't switched anything yet. We will update these soon, but right now these boards are the old boards with the same threads and posts and usernames and historical number of posts, etc.

As for talking baseball, I think Doughboys has done a good job of leading the charge this offseason and we'll be jumping in shortly with more fantasy baseball talk soon along with actual draft results. It's only December, but if you're ready to post each day here we are too.

Thanks for starting the Grandy talk. Let's get some more talk about the Winter Meetings dealings.

[ December 10, 2009, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Schwks

Post by Schwks » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:19 am

Agreed on Doughboy...no disrespect intended toward him, or his highly entertaining posts.

My roto implications on the Grandy deal, have Curtis losing some value. I do not think that the Yankees let Damon sign elsewhere. As such, there is little room in the first 7 spots in the lineup for him. This devalues Grandy, since it negatively impacts his runs and steals. I dont think you can draft Grandy and hope for more then .270 average, especially since he has not shown that he can hit lefties, and he is 29.

That said the new Stadium, should allow him to keep up the nice power numbers and his RBI totals should go up batting behind ARod, Cano, Posada and the like. So I have him in the range of 270 28 78 with 10-12 steals and 75-80 runs. In my mind that kicks him out of top 5 rounds. Thoughts?

Scherzer definitely loses value. He goes from the NL West, where he pitched against the likes of SF and SD regularly, to the AL Central, where he gets no lineup breaks. Plus Detroit looks like they will be mediocre offensively, with Mags and Guillen in freefall and Grandy gone. All of a sudden losing the freebie of the pitcher's slot, I think will be a very tough adjustment on a young guy. I can not see a sub 4 era out of Scherz or even 80% of his k totals from 09.

EJackson should get a bit of a boost. Going to the junior circuit should help shave a few percentage points off of his era and add a few more Ks. As pointed out above, he also gets to pitch to two lineups that boast A Gonzalez and the KF Panda, with not much else.
schwanks.blogspot.com
Little Bits mostly non-related to fantasy sports...alright maybe a little

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:21 am

No disrespect taken here. In fact, I agree that with the transition of new companies, the Message Boards has taken a hit in the way of momentum.

In regards to Granderson (wasn't Grandy on the Loveboat?), his value goes north. No matter where he hits in that lineup, his numbers should soar. He could hit one, in front of Jeter, two, between Jeter and Teixeira, or five, behind ARod...all enviable positions. Folks that drafted him in the fifth round in early drafts should be buying lotto tickets.

Pitchers are pitchers. Scherzer could flourish in Detroit. Who knows? Jackson floundered during the second half of '09 when the Tigers needed him the most. If he doesen't like pennant races, Arizona could be a good spot for him.

Speaking of Joel Zumaya .

Today, Dave Dombrowski intimated that Zumaya has a good chance to be the Tigers closer next year. Cool. Oh, I don't care about Zumaya or the Tigers, but now we have closers in baseball with the first and last name alphabetically among active players. Aardsma to Zumaya.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:47 am

Originally posted by Schwks:

RE the new boards

1) I still see a ton of missing posts and threads, and I dont know if that is the reason, but:

2) Last year, I loved these boards. There was a ton of debate about different organizations and how they ran their franchises, individual players and their roto worth, etc...I have seen virtually none of tht this year

On to fantasy talk, the GRandy deal is a total winner for the Yanks. I love the way Grandy plays the game...and when he is right, the ball jumps off of his bat. If the Yanks re-sign Damon...they will have one of best offensive lineups in recent memory. Realistically, a team like the Yankees cant afford slow moving prospects like Austin jackson or Ian Kennedy...either you make it in NY fast, or you get shipped out and get your chance in other places (Lilly, J Rivera, AL Leiter) I noticed things are slower as well. Potential reasons:

1. Economy - I don't know about anyone else but the last year has been brutal at work leaving much less time for baseball

2. This time of year - it is the quiet time post the season and things will pick up shortly?

3. Burnout - are some of the most active posters burnt out?

I am guessing #2 mostly but who knows?