The Royals Being the Royals

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:43 pm

I can't remember the Kansas City Royals making good transactions. Signing Kyle Farnsworth for two years at nine million dollars. The Coco Crisp signing. Mike Jacobs. Trading for Yuni Betancourt.

The team is run like a mom amd pop store next door to a Wal-Mart, they are destined to fail.

Today, they signed Jason Kendall to a two year contract. No figures were disclosed, but we're talking the Royals, so too much, is a good bet.

Defensively, Kendall's skills have declined. He is well thought of by baseball people as being good with pitchers. That's what most baseball people say about 36+ old catchers. Offensively, he's hit south of .250 three years in a row. Over the last five years, he has hit eight home runs. Eek!

Royal fans like to say that they know their team has little chance due to being a small market team. I contend it is the small minds running the small market team.

Baseball people like to say (I love quoting baseball people, they're so smart ) that if a team is solid up the middle, they have as good of chance at a pennant as any other team.

The Royals will have Kendall, Betancourt, Chris Getz, and a player to be named in center field. So far, not one fantasy worthy player in the bunch. Even baseball people would have to admit that having those players up the middle, blows. Uh, er, baseball people didn't say that, I did, baseball people don't talk like that. Baseball people would say that the Royals will be a scrappy bunch next year. That is code for they are well on their way to 100 losses.

Just an addendum. It'll be frustrating for Greinke owners to take him in the second round and not be better off than any other team when it comes to wins.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:36 am

Nice Dan

Funny thing is I thought a few of the front office people they have were good....in other organizations....and maybe that is the problem.

Hard to believe they could sign Kendall unless they think he is going to coach on the job which might imply that Brayan Pena would be the other catcher.....

Shoots the crap out of my $1 Miguel Olivo in an AL keeper league :(

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:27 am

A quote from Jason Kendall-

"There were other offers. But one thing about Dayton and the Royals is, they called me the first day I became a free agent. That's something that kind of speaks for itself."

True. Sad, but true.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:07 am

If the Kansas City Royals kept Zack Greinke, Billy Butler, and Joakim Soria and magically let everyone else go, to be replaced by AAA kids, would they be any worse off?

They go into this season with the best chance to have the worst record in baseball. Dayton Moore has signed or traded for Jason Kendall, Josh Fields, Chris Getz, Brian Anderson...hey, if you wash out with the White Sox, you must be Royals material!

They have traded Mark Teahen after having a decent year and are trying to trade Alberto Callaspo who had a great year for them. Apparently, Moore's thinking is that if you play well for us, we have something worth trading.

The Royals have become the Ellis Island of baseball teams. Give us your tired, your poor, um, especially the poor players.

Jose Guillen makes the most money of all rostered players. 12 million dollars. This will be the final year of his 3 year/36 million dollar contract. If Guillen stays healthy enough to hit seven home runs this year, he will have hit one home run for each million received from the Royals, 36.

Gil Meche has a five year/55 million contract. This will be the fourth year for that one. He needs 26 wins in the next two years to deliver a win for every million dollars paid. Odds are against him.

Alex Gordon, a wonderkid in college has never panned out in the Bigs. When signed, his nickname was 'Flash'. Since then, 'in the pan' has been added by some Royal fans. He will share duties at third this year with Josh Fields while the other one designate hits or plays their way onto the bench.

With Guillen out of the lineup and he will be out of the lineup, here is what the Royals lineup may look like:

Chris Getz-2b

David DeJesus-lf

Billy Butler-1b

Alex Gordon-3b

Josh Fields-dh

Mitch Maier-rf

Brian Anderson-cf

Yunesky Betancourt-ss

Jason Kendall-c

After seeing that lineup, the Royals and Dayton Moore should look at the question posed in the first paragraph. Be honest with themselves and know that this is no way to run a Major League franchise.
On my tombstone-

MadCow Sez

Post by MadCow Sez » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:22 am

At least they'll bring in huge underdog odds in Vegas futures bets.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby