Franklin Gutierrez

Rey

Franklin Gutierrez

Post by Rey » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:11 am

Rare is there much discussion on defense on these boards, but I think it'd be a shame if many of you missed out on the treat it is to watch Franklin Gutierrez play center field. Since I have a couple Mariner players on my team (Gutierrez included) I've tuned into several of their games this season. His play in center in a sight to behold, and would encourage any of you who happen upon a Seattle game to stop and give him a look. His fluidity in covering the gaps in amazing. It seems as if he can catch any ball with even the slightest bit of loft to it. You won't see him dive much, as he seems to get to balls in stride. His arm is also strong and accurate. Compares favorably to a young Andruw Jones. It's a shame his mediocre offense will keep him under the radar, as his defense alone should make him quite the valuable player. For anyone who appreciates a player who plays his position as well as could be expected (think Robbie Alomar at 2nd base in his prime), don't miss this kid.

Rainiers

Franklin Gutierrez

Post by Rainiers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:43 am

Originally posted by Rey:

Rare is there much discussion on defense on these boards, but I think it'd be a shame if many of you missed out on the treat it is to watch Franklin Gutierrez play center field. Since I have a couple Mariner players on my team (Gutierrez included) I've tuned into several of their games this season. His play in center in a sight to behold, and would encourage any of you who happen upon a Seattle game to stop and give him a look. His fluidity in covering the gaps in amazing. It seems as if he can catch any ball with even the slightest bit of loft to it. You won't see him dive much, as he seems to get to balls in stride. His arm is also strong and accurate. Compares favorably to a young Andruw Jones. It's a shame his mediocre offense will keep him under the radar, as his defense alone should make him quite the valuable player. For anyone who appreciates a player who plays his position as well as could be expected (think Robbie Alomar at 2nd base in his prime), don't miss this kid.

[ April 21, 2010, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: robertkirk ]
- Robert

Rainiers

Franklin Gutierrez

Post by Rainiers » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:00 am

We've been blessed with great fielding center fielders in Seattle...Griffey, Mike Cameron, etc.,but Franklin is probably the best of the lot which should make him one of the best all time. Franklin is in his prime and I couldn't agree with you more about catching him in action when you can, on tv or even better live when he comes to town. (His breaks on the ball are incredible, and you can't really see that on tv) His game saving catch against Texas of Elvis Andrus' homer wannabe was the toughest defensive play of the year, bar none, even compared to Buerle's opening day gem, IMHO.
- Robert

HawkandRoll

Franklin Gutierrez

Post by HawkandRoll » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:03 am

Originally posted by Rey:

Rare is there much discussion on defense on these boards, but I think it'd be a shame if many of you missed out on the treat it is to watch Franklin Gutierrez play center field. Since I have a couple Mariner players on my team (Gutierrez included) I've tuned into several of their games this season. His play in center in a sight to behold, and would encourage any of you who happen upon a Seattle game to stop and give him a look. His fluidity in covering the gaps in amazing. It seems as if he can catch any ball with even the slightest bit of loft to it. You won't see him dive much, as he seems to get to balls in stride. His arm is also strong and accurate. Compares favorably to a young Andruw Jones. It's a shame his mediocre offense will keep him under the radar, as his defense alone should make him quite the valuable player. For anyone who appreciates a player who plays his position as well as could be expected (think Robbie Alomar at 2nd base in his prime), don't miss this kid. Your right on with your thoughts on FG. He is a defensive difference maker the Mariners have not had since the earlier days with Griffey. Goes right along with the plan put in place by the new GM, Dr. Z.

rockitsauce

Franklin Gutierrez

Post by rockitsauce » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:36 am

Holy smokes! Griffey, Cameron, a "young Andruw Jones"...what's next Willie Mays :eek: ?

Did anyone see Victorino rob Glaus last night? I'd put that up there w/ any web gem this yr.

Dexter Fowler also covered some ground to preserve Ubaldo's no-no....that dude covers more ground than ANYBODY!

I'm sure F.G. is a damn good centerfielder, but let's see him do it for a few seasons before we annoit him the next Garry Maddox {Sec. of Defense} ;)
Always be closing.