Chasing the NFBC - A Fantasy Baseball Blog

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:04 pm

Throughout the season, I’ve realized that I’ve taken on more teams than I can handle this year. 16 teams, just too many. So what to do? Sign up for a mid-season draft of course.

Tonight’s draft night and it starts in 3 minutes. I ended up with pick # 13. Following will be a pick by pick analysis of my draft written as I make each pick. Should be fun.

1- Hanley Ramirez – SS – For some reason I was surprised to see him fall here. Maybe I shouldn’t have been. Still, a SS with his upside is tough to pass on. If not for Reyes health concerns, I would have gone in that direction.

2- Roy Halladay – SP – McCutcheon was still there, so was Youk. I was tempted to go in either of those directions. However in a short season, every start can have such a huge impact, both positive and negative. I decided to go with the one starter who almost never has a bad one. 10 SP’s went prior to my next pick, I’m feeling this was the right choice.

3- Rickie Weeks – 2B – McCutcheon went 2 picks after Halladay, Youk lasted to within 3 of this pick. Almost made it back to me, I could taste it. After Youk was grabbed, I was torn here between Weeks & Victor Martinez, two top options at scarce positions. I ended up going Weeks. I felt there were more catcher options remaining as none were taken yet at this point in the draft plus Weeks could contribute in steals as well as power.

4- Brian McCann – C – Victor almost made it back to me but was snagged the pick right before me. I like McCann almost as much for the rest of this season so not a huge loss. Three scarce positions covered with top options and the best SP after 4 picks. If I can find solid corners and OF’s later in the draft, I’ll be real happy with this start. If not, well…….

5- Michael Young – 3B/2B/1B – Might have been a bit early, but having a great season, I felt I needed some BA protection, gives me serious multi-position eligibility, and the Texas heat is kicking in.

6- Michael Morse – 1B/OF – This definitely felt early. Still, I’m starting to feel a little light in power (I always feel light in power) and 1B is starting to look awful skimpy already, so I took the plunge on a player who after a dreadful start, looks like something clicked for him.

7- Jayson Werth – OF – Not having a Philly Jayson Werth year in Washington. However a solid power/speed option who I’m looking to provide a better 2nd half.

8- Jonathan Papelbon – RP – Relievers are starting to come off the board and I wanted at least one that I was relatively sure would hold the job for the balance of the season and not get traded.

9- Mat Latos – SP – Has the talent, history, and park to dominate for long stretches. Since he hasn’t yet this year, now’s as good a time as any.

10- Eric Hosmer – 1B – Should at a minimum bring BA protection out of the CI spot and has the ability to provide much more.

11- Alexi Ogando – SP – I watched every halfway decent closer come off the board since my last pick. I thought about grabbing one of the Madson, Melancon, Gregg, Rauch, or Capps types that were still there but were far from assured of holding their jobs…… or I could ummmm……….. He’s Back!!!!!!!!!

12- Ryan Madson – RP – I know he’s coming off an injury, has competition in his own pen, and the Phils are as likely to trade for a more established closer as anyone. Still, he’s due back this weekend and when he’s been on the hill this year, setup or closer, he’s been lights out. Considering what else is out there at closer, worth the shot here.

13- Alex Rios – OF – C’mon!!!!!!!!!!!! He can’t be this bad, can he? I’m looking for at least a partial bounceback here.

14- Francisco Liriano – P – C’mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

15- Ricky Nolasco – P – Was looking to take one hitter, then one pitcher at this turn. The hitters I was looking at were Grady Sizemore & Russell Martin, both grabbed in the 5 picks before mine. I figured OK, I’ll grab the pitcher I like first then and give myself a bit more time to regroup for a hitter.

16- Derrick Lee – 1B (U) – I know, my 3rd firstbaseman. Seemed like a pretty good player to be still out there though and I figured I could use him at Utility.

17- Rafael Furcal – SS (MI) – Had my eye set on Iannetta here, taken a few picks back. I can’t seem to time my 2nd catcher. :( Looking for Furcal to stay healthy for just 2 ½ months. Yes Rafael, you can do it!

18- Domonic Brown – OF – Feeling a need for both power and speed. Decided this was a good spot to go with a player who has some upside for both.

19- Peter Bourjos – OF – The injury & Trout’s callup are worrisome, but reports are that he won’t be out long and he gives me some more power/speed upside.

20- Cameron Maybin – OF – One more time for the power/speed upside route.

21- Rubby De La Rosa – SP – Just looking pretty awesome lately. I believe he can be a difference maker.

22- Homer Bailey – SP – Healthy but not looking as sharp as he did before he got hurt. I’m hoping he’s able to find the groove he was in earlier in the season. Love his upside. Really like my staff right now.

23- Bobby Parnell – RP – It’s just a matter of when.

24- Ike Davis – 1B – I know, 4th firstbaseman. Morse will go to the OF when Davis is ready again. He could bring me a nice power boost by month’s end.

25- Jordan Schafer – OF – Gotta believe he holds the job over McLouth. No? Some SB upside if he could just get on base a little more.

26- Javier Vazquez – SP – Not the pitcher he once was, but certainly looking better recently.

27- Brett Lawrie – 3B – Gotta figure he gets healthy and gets his chance sometime this season.

28- Ryan Doumit – C – Ugh. There are no catchers left. I’ll watch the news for a week or so and see how he progresses. If he does come back, has the stick to contribute.

29- Hank Conger – C – I have Felipe Paulino all queued up and bam, to end the draft right he gets grabbed the pick right before me. I decide to instead grab a 2nd catcher who can actually play the next few weeks.

30- Danny Duffy – SP – Well, if I can’t have Paulino…..might as well grab his teammate.

It’s midnight on the East Coast and the draft is finishing up. I’m shot. It was a draft that moved extremely slowly in the 1st half, but picked up the pace some late. I helped contribute to the early slow pace as I took part in this draft with no cheatsheets, just the player list in the NFBC draft room, my memory of the player pool, and a basic idea of how I wanted to build this team. I’m too tired to really look at this team now and analyze how I did. Off gut feel I think I’ll be OK in pitching, but may be shy in speed and especially power. I guess time will tell. At least it was fun, drafting ALWAYS is.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:16 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

23- Bobby Parnell – RP – It’s just a matter of when. No time like the present. Nice! :D
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:37 pm

This is always an exciting time of the year in a baseball season as the trade deadline approaches. We watch teams determine if they are buyers or sellers and decide whether they’ll reload for a run at the playoffs or if they’ll just cut bait. This is also the time of year many of us do the same. We determine whether to continue to hold onto players that may contribute down the line or to cut bait and reload.

Of my 17 teams, I believe 14 still have a realistic shot at a money spot, though some more realistic than others. Of those 14, seven are currently in money spots, three leading their leagues. Typically you’ll see the same players showing up on many of my teams over and over. When I believe in or want a player, I grab him wherever I can. When I lose that belief, I cut him everywhere. Over the past few weeks, I’ve started to excise players that contributed early on or that I held onto hoping to get contributions from later in the season that I now no longer believed in or felt I could no longer wait on. I’ve began to reload my teams with fresh blood in the hopes of solidifying the leads of my teams in 1st, make a run at the top for my teams in money spots, and grab a money spot for those teams within reach.

Early contributors to my teams like Lance Nix, Cory Patterson, Charlie Morton, & K-Rod were dumped from seven, four, four, and five teams respectively due to reduced roles or increasingly inconsistent results. Players like Grady Sizemore, Brian Roberts, Justin Morneau, Jed Lowrie & Johan Santana were dumped from eight, six, three, five & four teams respectively because of new injuries or setbacks or just because I couldn’t wait for them any longer. Players like Franklin Gutierrez, Pedro Alvarez, & Luke Hochevar were cut from seven, three, & five teams respectively just because, well because, they just weren’t cutting it…period. Other players of mine were dropped from multiple squads for one or more of the reasons above.

I reloaded. Where I felt I needed power, I’m gambling on Kyle Blanks and Mike Carp, picked up on eight and five teams respectively. Where I felt I needed speed, I picked up Dexter Fowler, Wil Venable, & Alexi Casilla (an early season multiple drop) on seven, two, & five teams over the past few weeks. Where I needed additional middle infield help, I grabbed Jason Kipnis & Sean Rodriguez on five and three teams. On the pitching side, Danny Duffy, Rubby DeLaRosa, Rich Harden, & Carl Pavano (ugh) have made their way onto seven, three, two, & three of my teams respectively. Jason Isringhausen was picked up for four teams where I needed closer help and I’m trying to relive my Javy Guerra lottery win with Luke Gregerson and Edward Mujica picked up for seven and two teams.

And I’m not done with the reload. Brandon Belt, Ian Stewart, and Andrew Miller have already seen their numbers reduced on my teams. Any remaining presence whatsoever of theirs likely ends this weekend. Who I replace them with still remains to be seen.

Hopefully these new additions join the likes of earlier season multiple team pickups Mike Morse, David Freese, JJ Hardy, Emilio Bonafacio, Dustin Ackley, Freddy Garcia, Javier Vazquez, & the aforementioned Javy Guerra in how they were able to reinforce and strengthen three, five, three, three, two, eight, four, and nine of my teams respectively.

Hopefully these recent drops do not join the likes of Mark Trumbo, Travis Snider, Dominic Brown, Peter Bourjos, Aaron Harang, Brandon McCarthy, Carlos Carrasco, Cory Luebke, and of course the infamous & hated Alexi Ogando who were all dropped from multiple teams for various reasons, but who all share the fact that I regret dropping each and every one of them.

I’ve made other successful pickups and other bad drops over the course of the season. How these recent moves end up remains to be seen. However, what I do know is right at this moment, my teams feel reinvigorated, reinforced, and reloaded. Hopefully, I still feel the same in two months.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:04 pm

I’ve been spending most of the time I can dedicate to the fantasy boards recently to what’s happening over at the WCOFF. I need a break from the drama over there. I thought I’d take a night off from that soap opera and instead add to this blog with a current standing of my 17 teams.

I last provided a full update with my first blog post of the year a little less than two months into the season. Now with a little less than two months remaining, here’s a look at where I stand for each contest. I included where I stood at the two month mark, what I hope for during the last two months, and a comment or two on the two months in between.

NFBC Main Event

2 month mark -NYC - Lg - 5th, 92.5 pts, Overall - 128th, 2215 pts;

AC - Lg - 4th, 96 pts, Overall - 104th, 2297.5 pts

Current standing – NYC – Lg – 9th, 71.5 pts, Overall – 252nd, 1691.5 pts;

AC – Lg – 3rd, 101.5 pts, Overall – 66th, 2538 pts

The NFBC Main Event is the most prestigious title in Fantasy Sports. There was a time the WCOFF football championships was the crown to own. Unfortunately, that contest is currently tarnished and it still remains to be seen if it will even exist for another season. Lindy, Ken Magner, Paul Gromek, KJ, Jason Duponte, they are the current leaders of the NFBC and if they can keep performing for the balance of the season will be in for the time of their lives as they race for the championship. I was part of that thrill ride last year holding 2nd overall for most of September before falling to 4th on the last day of the season. Even with that ugly last day, it was a blast being part of the race to the finish. I envy these guys. Unfortunately barring a miracle, I won’t be joining them this season.

My NYC Main Event team entered May solidly in the top 20 and I believed had a chance to be something special with an in-season tweak or two. Top 20 in early May, struggling to get back in the top 200 in early August. What happened? Losing nearly 20 players to the DL since then is what, several for months, a few for the rest of the season. In the year of the injury, this team felt the full brunt.

My AC team has managed to remain competitive, currently 3rd place in the league. This team will have to overcome the loss of its top starter in Josh Johnson for the year and a 2nd DL stint for its 2nd best offensive player in Jose Reyes, but it’s already survived the last two months without JJ and an earlier stint without Reyes and Albert Pujols to boot. However its biggest obstacle is not an injured player, hole on the team, weak category. Its biggest obstacle is the league leader, Ken Magner. His team is the one currently 2nd in the overall. I’m not catching him. I’ll have to focus on catching Mike Massatto, no easy task in itself as he’s put together a great team as well, currently 14th overall. Jeez, this league has some tough teams.

Ultimate

2 month mark - Lg - 4th, 96.5 pts

Current standing – Lg – 5th, 86 pts

This Ultimate squad has been on quite a roller coaster ride these past two months. Sitting in 4th, a few points out of a money spot when last updated, a few injuries and some unbelievable pitching blowups saw this team drop all the way into the cellar before slowly climbing itself back up into its current 5th place standing. With two months to go, this team can still finish anywhere from 1st to last as each is within reach. This league is so competitive that 1st is only at 101 points. Having recently returned David Wright & Jon Lester to the lineup, Brian McCann due back possibly as soon as this week, & Ricky Weeks hopefully ready for the last month, this team is getting the reinforcements it will need to make a move in the back stretch. Hopefully it can at least make it into a money spot, because even 3rd place in this league pays big bucks.

Auction

2 month mark - Lg - 1st, 109.5 pts, Overall - 9th, 947 pts

Current standing – Lg – 6th, 93.5 pts, Overall – 16th, 900 pts

Another team significantly damaged by injury, it managed to remain competitive despite losing Josh Johnson, its best pitcher for the year, and David Wright, its 2nd best hitter for 2 months. At one point, when Pujols had joined Wright & JJ on the shelf, this team had over $100 of its $260 budget on the mend in just these three players. Though JJ won’t be back, Pujols & Wright have returned and have helped revive this team's hopes of potentially finishing in the money. Though the dreams of being competitive in the overall that existed at the last update are no longer realistic, this team does have a chance to finish in the money if its pitching holds up. Unfortunately with JJ done for the season, this is a big if.

Live DP

2 month mark - AC - Lg - 1st, 89.5 pts, Overall - 11th, 1666 pts

Online - Lg - 2nd, 79.5 pts, Overall - 28th, 1496 pts

Current standing – AC – Lg – 1st, 98.5 pts, Overall – 2nd, 1806.5 pts

Online – Lg – 2nd, 80 pts, Overall - 33rd, 1515.5 pts

Having two teams with a chance at its league championships and one of those teams 2nd overall, this is the format I’ve performed best with in the NFBC this year. The team 2nd overall has dominated the power categories all season and led by the Verlander/Lincecum 1-2 punch has done extremely well in the starting pitching categories as well to get to its current position. With SB’s being the one offensive category that this team can move up in significantly, I’ve added Bonafacio, Fowler, Bourgeois, and EY2 since the last update, the latter pair during the last two FAAB’s in an all-out effort to grab those available points. The loss of all three of my drafted closers in KRod, Lyon, & Capps has left saves in the hands of 2nd half pickups Izzy & Guerra, so that’s extremely worrisome. However, if they can hold the jobs for just 8 more weeks, I believe I have may have enough to pull this out. It’s not the Main Event, but it’s still unbelievably exciting to be competing for an overall NFBC title. Gary Cutler won’t be easy to catch and Chad, Adam Kleeberg, Emmett, Bob Particelli, Scott Fleming, Joe Berg, & Ken Magner make a frightening remaining top 10 to hold off, but hopefully I can do enough the final 8 weeks to pull it out.

NFBC Private Satellites

2 month mark - Shawn Childs League - Lg - 4th, 91.5 pts

Hot Tub League - Lg - 3rd, 105.5 pts

Current standing – Shawn Childs League – Lg – 2nd, 113.5 pts

Hot Tub League – Lg – 4th, 94 pts

2nd Chance League – Lg – 2nd, 105.5 pts

One of my proudest accomplishments last season was finishing in the money in the Hot Tub League and being competitive in both that league & the SCL, my 1st year playing in each. The competition in these leagues is unbelievably strong and being able to hold my own against players as good as these is something I wasn’t sure I’d be able to pull off. Being competitive again this year has helped validate that feeling of pride and accomplishment.

2nd chance leagues are a blast. Every move is so much more important, because for this kind of league fantasy baseball is no longer a marathon but a sprint. I’m not sure how but if live scoring is to be believed, I’ve moved into 1st in this league tonight. Having lost McCann, Weeks, D. Lee, Rubby and most recently HanRam in the very few weeks that this league has been in play, I’m not sure how that happened. I’m even less sure how long that standing will last. :eek:

KJ Duke Leagues

2 month mark - MLBC-1 Salary League - Lg - 14th, 48.5 pts

NFBCK Keeper League - Lg - 14th, 48 pts

Current standing – MLBC-1 Salary League – Lg – 11th, 64.5 pts

NFBCK Keeper League – Lg – 12th, 62.5 pts

These leagues are still the bane of my fantasy existence!! :mad: Well, at least I’m out of the 40’s. On top of that, both these leagues are unique, innovative, very challenging, and an absolute blast. I’ll definitely be back for both next season.

Independent Leagues

2 month mark - CBS 15-Teamer - Lg - 7th, 88.5 pts

FFBC H2H Points League- Lg - 4-2 record

Current standing – CBS 15-Teamer – Lg – 4th, 98 pts

FFPC H2H Points League – Lg – Currently in Playoff Semi-Finals

The CBS League is an NFBC style independent league filled with NFBC vets with one difference, any player is available for FAAB as long as they are in a MLB organization. Sure makes FAAB more interesting. I’ve been bouncing in and out of money positions for the past month or so, this league very competitive at the top. Even more importantly, I’m now a ½ point behind the player I have a side bet with. Damn you Chris, let me catch and stay ahead of you already!! :mad:

The FFPC H2H league is down to the four playoff teams of which I am one. The prize is a WTA FFPC Main Event league. This was my 1st H2H team since Strat-O-Matic and it was a blast. Hopefully I can pull out the victory this week and go into the 2-week finals with a head of steam.

WCOFB

2 month mark - Main Event Leagues - Lgs- 1st, 116 pts; 5th, 88 pts; 5th, 80 pts; Overall - 2nd, 1031.5 pts; 37th, 748.5 pts; 43rd, 712.5 pts

Online Championship - Lg - 2nd, 99.5 pts; Overall - 7th, 590.5 pts

Current standing – Main Event Leagues – Lgs – 1st, 125 pts; 5th, 84.5 pts; 3rd, 87.5 pts; Overall – 2nd, 1080.5 pts; 39th, 729.5 pts; 35th, 748 pts

Online Championship – Lg – 1st, 125 pts; Overall – 1st, 732 pts

Three of four teams currently in money positions, two teams leading their leagues, one team 2nd overall in their Main Event, another 1st overall in their Online Championships. I should be thrilled. Instead, I’m left wondering if these contests will even be in existence when the baseball season ends. It figures. Hopefully, Ian & Emil will do what they promised and rescue this contest. If for some reason, the transaction that was stated as completed doesn’t go forward, it would a travesty to all those owed money from last year’s football event, all those who invested money and played out this baseball event, and a personal hit that may permanently affect how I look at High Stakes contests in the years ahead. It just wouldn’t be right. Let’s hope it doesn’t go there.

[ August 09, 2011, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:46 pm

As I do each day, I woke up this morning, had a smoke, sat down with a cup of black coffee, powered up my laptop and performed my morning ritual of running through each of my league pages to see how the previous night's ballgames affected my place in each league's standings. When I got to my AC Live DP team, I also checked the overall standings for that contest. I found myself in first overall. I felt myself smile.....even if I don't expect to remain there for long. Over the past week or so, I've found myself in first overall two other times in that contest, only to drop back each time after only a day. Chad Schroeder, Gary Cutler, and I have been taking turns back and forth at the front of that contest. It's hotly contested at the top and of course there's still six weeks left in the season so anything can happen. Still, there's something special about seeing yourself in that top spot of an overall national contest, even if for only a day.

The days on top of the Live DP have been my first ever for an NFBC overall. However, it hasn't been my first for an overall national contest. For the last month, I've been 1st overall in the WCOFB Online Championships. For just shy of the first two months of this season, I was in 1st overall in the WCOFB Main Event before settling into 2nd overall where I've remained since. So right now I'm on top of two national overall contests and in the running for a third. I should be thrilled.

Last September, when I found myself battling amongst the top of both the NFBC and WCOFB Main Events before settling into 4th and 6th overall respectively was easily the most exciting time of my fantasy sports life. Every day was a thrill. This time should feel the same. It's nowhere close.

For those who don't know, the WCOFF has still yet to pay all of their football winners from 2010 and it's now a question if they ever will. Their 2011 football contest is in limbo and it's now a question whether if it will even go off. What does all that mean for their ongoing 2011 WCOFB baseball contests, the ones that I'm currently trying to win? Obviously, it's now become another question.

These questions have taken the joy and excitement of this game away from me. It's turned a dream season into a nightmare. Instead of focusing on my teams and my players, in recent weeks I've spent most of the time I can dedicate to fantasy focusing on what's going on with that contest's problems. As the situation reached critical mass, as the time to resolve their issues became shorter and shorter, I allowed myself to become intertwined with what was happening there, I became too consumed.

Yesterday, I resolved to seperate myself from the situation. I will not play their football contest, even if they resolve their payment issues. I will not chase down new information or look for new updates. I no longer will allow myself to care what happens. I've forced myself to accept the fact that if I win their contests, I won't get paid. If it turns out that I do get paid, then that will just be an unexpected bonus.

I will try to go back to just enjoying this hobby for the competition, to enjoy how I'm doing against the best players in the world. I will still play their baseball contests to completion, if they're allowed to play out to completion. I still want to win them, even if there's no reward at the end. I still want the opportunity to finish competing and to prove that for one year, I was the best in that format, even if that's the only reward. I want to win all three contests that I have the opportunity to win this year, the WCOFB Main, the WCOFB Online, & the NFBC Live DP. I would still be extremely proud of the accomplishment. Of course, if I had only one to win, there's little doubt left of which one I'd hope that would be.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:29 am

Congrats on your excellent season so far, Glenn!

As to the other (to put it mildly) issues in the other contests, I hope it works out for all concerned.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:37 pm

I've been away from the baseball boards for the past few weeks. Between managing my baseball teams and prepping for and drafting my football teams, there hasn't been much leftover in the time I can dedicate towards fantasy for the message boards. Unfortunately, probably just as big a factor to my staying off the baseball boards has been my growing frustration with this fantasy baseball season in general.

I've done a poor job this season at in-season management. I've tinkered too much, I've been too quick at the trigger. I think I did a pretty good job in my initial drafts, a good enough job to put me in contention to win league titles or finish in the money for a majority of my leagues. My in-season management however has been nothing short of sabotage for those efforts.

A perfect example is what I've done to my AC Live DP league. In first overall a few weeks back, I now stand in 7th and have fallen back as far as 13th about a week ago. How? Bad move after bad move. Seeing that the categories I could still move up in were saves and steals, I overcompensated in both those categories. Over the past few weeks, I've dropped starters like Johnny Cuerto, Michael Pineda, etc. for potential closers like Koji Uehara, Chris Sale, Ramon Ramirez, Sergio Romo, Steve Cishek, Rafael Betancourt, & now Jason Motte. How's that worked out for me so far? Not so good. I've spent most of my remaining FAAB on super-Judy's Jason Bourgeois and EY Jr., also not producing the results I had hoped. I've streamed starters and even hitters, sitting better or hotter players to get an extra start or a few more at-bats, only to watch the benched player go off, ala Dexter Fowler today. Just terrible. I have similar stories for each and every one of my teams lucky enough to still be in contention.

The way things are starting to shake out, I feel like this will be the year of the "almost". That Live DP team will be my team that "almost" won an NFBC overall championship. Other teams will have "almost" won their league titles or "almost" finished in the money. Outside of this Live DP team, I have two other NFBC teams 2nd in their leagues unable to get over the hump into the lead. I have five NFBC or independent teams in 4th (and one other in 5th), unable to get over the hump into a money spot. "Almost", just not quite there.

Of course there's always the WCOFB, where all four of my teams there are currently in money spots, with one of those teams in 2nd overall for their Main Event and another in 1st overall for their Online Championships. I guess you can call that an "almost" also. I "almost" have a shot in hell of getting paid for my efforts.

A very frustrating year so far. 3 1/2 weeks left to change that feeling of frustration to one of satisfaction. I'll give it everything I've got to make it happen.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:52 pm

Javy Guerra & Manny Acosta. Two closers I have everywhere right now. Two closers I needed desperately to close the door. Two closers that were an out away from getting saves. Two closers that couldn't get it done.

As I watched Ryan Roberts take Guerra deep for a grand slam, I realized that it was a microcosm of my season. So close to getting it done, but not being able to get it done when it mattered most for so many teams. Where I had chances to win leagues, I didn't. Where I had chances to finish in the money, I wasn't able to. It's been an awful last week of a brutal September of a tough, tough season.

Only one day to go. I'm glad it's almost over.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:04 pm

And so the 2011 baseball season comes to an end. And what an end. What an incredible night of baseball with both wild card races being decided in extra inning games, comeback victories, and historic collapses. One of the most exciting days of baseball in history.

The same can be said for the finish of the NFBC fantasy baseball season. What a race to the finish. Lindy and KJ should both be proud of their finish, the way they handled themselves during and after the race, and for being two of the very best of us.

My finish was somewhat less exciting or memorable, but still my finish nonetheless.

NFBC AC Main Event - 103 points, 3rd in league, 71st overall

NFBC NYC Main Event - 81 points, 9th in league

NFBC Ultimate - 83.5 points, 8th in league

NFBC Auction - 90 points, 6th in league

NFBC AC Live DP - 99 points, 1st in league, 5th overall

NFBC Online Live DP - 73 points, 4th in league

KJ Duke MLBC1 - 93.5 points, 5th in league

Hot Tub League - 91 points, 5th in league

Shawn Childs League - 114 points, 2nd in league

NFBC Mid-Season - 110.5 points, 2nd in league

NFBCK Keeper League - 53 points, 13th in league

WCOFB Friday Main Event - 1st in league, 2nd overall

WCOFB Saturday Main Event - 4th in league

WCOFB Sunday Main Event - 4th in league

WCOFB Online Championships - 1st in league, 1st overall

CBS League - 99.5 points, 4th in league

FFPC H2H League - 10-6, lost in semi-finals

Unfortunately this was a season that brought me almost as much frustration & disappointment as joy & excitement, significantly more than I've felt any year prior playing this hobby. Lord knows I had way too many 4th & 5th place finishes out of the money. However it was more than that. Crippling injuries, my own unbelievable & year long mismanagement, and of course & most of all the disaster that was the WCOFB helped make this year one that I'm happy to get behind me.

That said, this is also a season that has brought me a lot of pride. Coming off last season, one that I finished 4th in the NFBC & 6th in the WCOFB, I still felt I had a lot left to prove to myself when it came to this game. Having only played two seasons in high stakes, I had no idea if my finishes were a reflection of talent or a total fluke I'd never come close to repeating.

That this year I was able to bring an NFBC Main Event team to a money finish for the third consecutive year in my 3-year history with the competition, had three teams finish in the top 5 of overall competitions totaling five top 6 finishes over the last two years, and was competitive in the majority of my leagues has convinced me that maybe I can play this game. I'm still nowhere near the level of player of some of you. The accomplishments, achievements, & talent of some here are truly mind-boggling. Still, the fact that I now feel that I can enter these leagues and know that I can be competitive with the very best players in the world is something I am very, very proud of.

I love this game. I love this hobby. I love this contest. Even in a year that's brought me less fun and more aggravation than typical, there's little I enjoy as much. I'm glad this season is over, but I can't wait for the next one.

Congrats to Lindy, the other overall champions, league winners, & money finishers. I look forward to testing myself against all of you again next season.