Chasing the NFBC - A Fantasy Baseball Blog

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Mark, based on your question as to what Greg's criteria was in his original decision, I've been giving it some serious thought. I hadn't thought about it prior to your question, because I had always assumed that he made his decision because he had found that the move was in fact late and couldn't reverse it because of the stakes now involved, which I certainly could understand. I was under this assumption because it's so unlike Greg not to try to help an owner achieve his true intent in a mistaken drop, a mistaken bid, a mistaken lineup maneuver, I thought the evidence had to be indisputable that I was in fact late even if only by seconds. After all, I had clearly stated in my E-mail to him that Uehara was the guy I wanted in my lineup. Or had I?

After thinking about it, and looking into it a little further, I realize that maybe my wording had led to him to believe that my intent was the exact opposite and he actually was trying to help me achieve my true intent which would have been standard operating procedure for the NFBC.

I'm basing this theory of miscommunication on my phone conversation with Tom earlier tonight while the move was being corrected. He stated to me at the time that he was confused because he always thought I wanted Drabek in my lineup from my original request and had informed as much to programming. At the time I didn't understand how this was possible when I clearly stated I was trying to switch Uehara in, but I didn't really give it any thought because the transaction was being corrected based on the time stamp anyway.

Your question though made me look into it further. I found the line in the original request where I stated who I was trying to get in my lineup and my wording absolutely was a recipe for miscommunication. I stated "While making last second changes to my starting lineup for my Main Event team, the last move I made was switching out Kyle Drabek for Uehara. Well, I guess it must have saved right after the deadline...."

If read quickly, I can easily see how one could interpret the attempted move as "Kyle Drabek for Uehara".

This is all theory obviously, but likely the correct one if looked at with an open mind. It's a shame that I now believe that Greg & Tom were merely trying to do the right thing by me as they always do and may now have to deal with grief due to a miscommunication caused by the way I worded the issue.

Glenn

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Originally posted by Fast Money:

You're a class act Glenn. Thanks for the blog, I've enjoyed reading it everyday. Very exciting ending no matter who wins and finishes second. You each tried your best and have proven why you're in the elite of the fantasy baseball world..... Joe, thank you. I disagree with the class act description (just ask my wife ), but I appreciate it nonetheless. I do agree though with how exciting this has been. Good day or bad, 3rd overall or 403rd, I've had so much fun this year with all my teams and truly love this game.

Glenn

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:18 pm

Glenn - Thanks for the explanation. I sent the commish an email about this situation, and it wouldn't hurt if he responded publicly as well. unfortunately this issue could impact other owners.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:31 pm

Originally posted by Glenneration X:

This is all theory obviously, but likely the correct one if looked at with an open mind. {I just want to play fantasy baseball and not worry about the system F'ing up resulting in players being changed/added from/to an owners starting lineup IN THE LAST WEEK OF THE SEASON AND A WHOLE FOUR DAYS AFTER LINEUPS WERE LOCKED!?!?}

What's next, someone is going to request a change be made a full week later. Where does it end? If this is indeed a Fanball "software malfunction", it would be highly disappointing.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:52 pm

Mark, I understand the disappointment. However, the main concern here is that the correct lineups are in and the correct scores are tabulated. Currently, this is the case. As far as when the corrections are made, certainly the sooner the better, but just like in Fantasy Football, stats are changed days after the games are played once the NFL reviews the games. They make sure the stats are right. That's what's most important. That's the same case here. I am absolutely certain you would not want to win because of a software glitch and a miscommunication.

Computer hardware breaks down, software craps out. That's why there's millions made in backup systems. No system is foolproof. Let's be satisfied that we now know that there was a protection in place for a situation like this in the form of the time stamp.

Let it go, no harm was done. What should have been the case, is now the case. You have the exact score you should and now I have the exact score I should as per the rules. The only one who was potentially harmed was me, and I dealt with it.

Let's just battle it out these last couple days and not taint a great finish.

Glenn

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:19 pm

Mark, I understand the disappointment. However, the main concern here is that the correct lineups are in and the correct scores are tabulated. Currently, this is the case. As far as when the corrections are made, certainly the sooner the better, but just like in Fantasy Football, stats are changed days after the games are played once the NFL reviews the games. They make sure the stats are right. That's what's most important. That's the same case here. I am absolutely certain you would not want to win because of a software glitch and a miscommunication.

Computer hardware breaks down, software craps out. That's why there's millions made in backup systems. No system is foolproof. Let's be satisfied that we now know that there was a protection in place for a situation like this in the form of the time stamp.

Let it go, no harm was done. What should have been the case, is now the case. You have the exact score you should and now I have the exact score I should as per the rules. The only one who was potentially harmed was me, and I dealt with it.

Glenn Glenn - STATS (not starting players) are changed and Greg only allows STATS be changed by Wed or Thursday at the latest. I've never heard of a starting pitcher being switched out Friday, four days after rosters have locked. Simply unheard of.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong. If the time stamp says you got him in, you got him in.

However, I'd like to hear from the commish office in reference to this situation as well as the "Uehara software malfunction" you mentioned.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:28 pm

From what I understand, the Uehara glitch also happened to Ken Manger. You can verify with him.

Glenn

Sebadiah23

Post by Sebadiah23 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:55 pm

Glenn was continuing to call the Uehara accidental benching a glitch, even after the Tuesday first ruling, so after the additional evidence of the timestamp was brought to light, and due to Glenn's written consistency in his intent to play Uehara the whole time, I think the ruling is perfectly fair.

Because Glenn mentioned the glitch almost immediately after it happened, there was clearly no intent to armchair quarterback after-the-fact. Those possible shenanigans began and ended on opening day.
We drove 22 miles, country around Farmington. Signs started appearing. THE MOST PHOTOGRAPHED BARN IN AMERICA. Cars,tour bus,cameras;postcards sold.

No one sees the barn,

They are taking pictures of taking pictures
-Don DeLillo
@Sebadiah23, IG:sebadiah26

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:45 pm

Glenn You have a PM Glenn

[ October 02, 2010, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: Gekko ]

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:51 am

Glenn - I was able to see your transaction history and saw you did try and make the move at 6.55pm which is right at the deadline. That's enough for me. He should be in your lineup. No need to respond on what happened here Greg. Although, I would still like to know about the programming glitch. Thanks.

[ October 02, 2010, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Gekko ]

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:55 am

Thank you Mark. Good luck these last two days. Should be an exciting race to the finish for the "Avis position" with several teams still in the hunt.

Of course the "Hertz position" is pretty much wrapped up. Congratulations Steve. You can just spend these two days practicing your wave for your parade down Broadway.

Glenn

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:09 am

Thank you Mark. Good luck these last two days. Should be an exciting race to the finish for the "Avis position" with several teams still in the hunt.

should be exciting, although i must admit, today i feel a lot less stress as i don't have any SP going. i just get to wake up tomorrow and see how many points i lost!

tomorrow should be stress-packed as i should have dempster going. too bad it's against wandy

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:39 pm

While Mark won't be stressing over any starting pitchers tonight, I will be, as Brett Anderson goes for my NFBC Main Event squad in a little less than 2 hours. Anderson represents the last scheduled starter for my team for the year. Unless......

There's an intriguing little scenerio developing centering around those Friars of San Diego. By winning the first two games of their season ending series with San Fran, they've created a pretty good possibility that there will be a season extending final game on Monday to determine playoff spots.

If the Padres can complete their sweep tomorrow, they will face off against the Giants on Monday for the division championship. The reason I mention this is that if that playoff game does take place, the scheduled starters as of now are Tim Lincecum for the Giants and Chris Young for the Pads. It just so happens that both pitchers are on my NFBC Main Event squad and Young also resides on my WCOFB roster.

With every turn by a quality starter so valuable towards the end of the season due to the potential impact on four categories, this developing scenerio is very interesting to me.

Even if the Padres lose, if it's also accompanied by a loss by the Braves, the Pads & Braves would face off on Monday for the Wildcard berth. Young would still be scheduled. Though I'd obviously lose out on the Lincecum start, Derek Lowe would be scheduled to throw for the Bravos giving me an extra start in my extremely tight race with Dan Kenyon in the Hot Tub.

A lot of possibilities thanks to the Padres. Though I'll be sweating out Brett Anderson's start tonight, hopefully San Diego can help make sure there's a couple extra starts to sweat out before the year's officially over.

Glenn

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:04 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about Anderson. He faces a lineup that wouldn't even qualify as a AAA team

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:18 pm

Good luck Glenn. Also curious if this is his team up there with the Padilla for Moyer situation, and how those antics might be affecting the standings now. I sure hope money goes where it should.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:18 pm

Nice. A save from Uehara. That has to help.

Cobb

Post by Cobb » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:34 pm

Originally posted by Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

should be exciting, although i must admit, today i feel a lot less stress as i don't have any SP going. i just get to wake up tomorrow and see how many points i lost!

tomorrow should be stress-packed as i should have dempster going. too bad it's against wandy
[/QUOTE]Gekko, you may not have to worry about Wandy, looks like he's being scratched Sunday. Ah, the beauty of the final week...why even list a starter, everybody should just wait and see who strolls up to the mound.
"My reputation precedes me. Otherwise I'd be late for all my appointments." - Harry Crumb

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:09 pm

Originally posted by Cobb:

quote:Originally posted by Gekko:

quote:Originally posted by Glenneration X:

[/QUOTE]Gekko, you may not have to worry about Wandy, looks like he's being scratched Sunday. Ah, the beauty of the final week...why even list a starter, everybody should just wait and see who strolls up to the mound.
[/QUOTE]ha. i've seen this before...looks like a good matchup but it never quite works out that way. we'll see. thx for the headsup

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:48 am

I'm always amazed that after 6 whole months and 161 games of a Fantasy Baseball season, how often championships or money spots are decided on the very last day. This year is no different. Incredibly, I still don't know my eventual finish for six different teams this year. Six leagues, thousands of dollars on the line, one day to decide it all. It's going to be an exciting day.

NFBC Main Event - Brett Anderson came through last night helping me to move back into 2nd place overall this morning. My lead over Gekko is a paltry 6 points, his lead over Chris Plouffe is only 3 points. Less than 10 points separating 2nd place & 4th place, less than 10 points separating a 20K prize & a 7.5K prize, one day to go. We'll all be dealing with partial lineups I'm sure, so every HR, every steal, every RBI & run will be extremely valuable. Most importantly, only Mark has a starter going, Ryan Dempster. I need another 2 inning, 7 ER job from him like he put up last week.

WCOFB Main Event - My offense put up a mighty 6 for 50 line last night almost killing my chances of moving up or even staying in place in the overall. Luckily, Brett Gardner with his 5 steals almost single-handily kept my team in place. So I still only trail Greg Morgan by 13 points for 5th overall, but I only lead Ryan's Gang by 8 1/2. In my league, Shawn Childs moved to within 1 point of me last night before Brett Gardner helped me move the gap back to 2 1/2 points by night's end. I have two starters going, but my lineup is definately going to be missing Beltre, LaRoche, & Kelly Johnson, so anything can happen here in both the league & overall.

Super - At the beginning of this week, I left this team for dead. It had fallen in the standings to 6th or 7th and was 10 points off the pace for the last money spot. Though I still set optimum lineups for the team, I really stopped monitoring how it was doing day to day. Well last night I check up on this team and see that it had moved back up to 4th only 2 points off of Jim Stanard's team in 3rd. There are 3 points that either I can realistically move up in today or Jim can move down, all ratio points. If I can move up .002 in WHIP & move up .0004 in BA while Stanard moves down .0001, the last Super money spot is mine. I have Sanchez going and we'll see who gets started in my lineup, but it's amazing that one base hit can mean a couple grand.

Just an FYI for you innings watchers, Stanard is now sitting at a mighty 705.2. He just made it.

One more note about this Super. The league championship has been a ridiculous battle with 1/2 point currently separating Matt Bauler and none other than Mr. 4th place overall, Chris Plouffe. I thought I had a lot of money on the line today. :eek:

Hot Tub - At several different times yesterday, I had moved to within 1/2 point of Dan Kenyon in our months long battle for the league championship. I blinked at night's end and his lead had swelled to 3 points. If I look real hard, there are 2 points that I can possibly gain if all the stars align and 2 points that Dan can possibly lose. I'm serious though, all the stars have to align. Suddenly I'm a believer in astrology.

Original Slow Draft II - Over the course of this week, I've managed to widen my lead over BillyWaz to the point where going into yesterday I was confident that the last free Main Event entry spot was mine. Then out of nowhere last night, the great Rick Thomas gained what seemed to be 50 points finishing his move from 7th in the league when the week started to 1/2 point ahead of me for 3rd as of this morning. I didn't think moves like that were possible this late in the season. :( There's several points in play for both of us today, most interesting a 0.003 lead he has on me in ERA. I have Pelfrey going today. He has no starters left. It's about time my Mets did something for me this year.

WCOFB NYC Invitational - My bud, Rob Gutmann, not only zoomed past me this past week, but Perry Van Hook as well and now sits comfortably in 2nd. I trail Perry by only 3 points for the last money spot, but similar to the Hot Tub I need all the stars to align to catch him. I need to pass him in wins today (we're tied) and have his three starters bleed some ERA & WHIP for me to tie him. He does have Suppan going today, so anything's possible.

One more day, so much on the line for me. It's going to be a very exciting (and yes, stressful) day. For all those who are also fighting for overall positions, league championships, or league money spots, good luck today and have fun with it.

One more note, there are two people who won't be stressing like a lot of the rest of us today, but should be even more excited. At this point the NFBC and WCOFB Overall Championships are pretty much determined. Steve Jupinka & Chad Schroeder are two of the greatest of this game. I'm happy to see each of their incredible resumes add their first High Stakes Fantasy Baseball Overall Championships. Enjoy today Guys, enjoy figuring out how to spend those six figure checks . You guys deserve it.

Glenn

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:40 pm

well, well, well...now we wait.

shout out to blanton for leaving a shitt on my doorstep! :D

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:52 pm

Glenn - Any idea what time the overnight batch file gets run?

Head 2 Head

Post by Head 2 Head » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:33 pm

Originally posted by Gekko:

Glenn - Any idea what time the overnight batch file gets run? Should be early as all the games were done awful early. Maybe Greg who be a better guy to ask.
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:39 pm

Wow. Just like that, it's over. As Mark says, now we wait.

Looking at it quickly, I believe Mark's team did enough today to pull ahead and take 2nd place in the NFBC Overall. His stolen base, pair of saves, & baker's dozen in K's in all likelihood trumps my homer, one save, one K, and 6-point lead going into today. He will definately take a hit in WHIP & ERA. Whether that's enough to counteract the gains he'll make in the other categories I mentioned, I guess we'll find out in the morning.

Chris managed a pair of homers and a save. I think the 9-point spot I had on him going into today may be enough to counteract his extra home run and hold him off for third, but again we'll find out in the morning.

All that's left is the math. No more FAAB, no more lineup decisions, just a wait until morning (Mark, typically I've found that the results are in around 5am). However it ends up, whether I finish 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, it's been an exciting ride. Congrats to both Mark & Chris for their high finishes, to everyone else in the top 10, to each league & overall winner in all formats for every contest, and of course major kudos to Steve.

All my other leagues require no wait, the results are final and in the books. In the WCOFB, I managed to hold off Shawn in our league and held onto 6th place in the overall. I jumped back over Rick Thomas for the last free entry prize in the Original Slow Draft, but fell short in my efforts to overtake Dan for the Hot Tub championship. My late drive for the last money spot in my Super fell just short & I fell short in the WCOFB Invitational as well.

It's been an exciting season for me, one I'm pretty proud of. I finished in the top 10 of two overalls, finished in the money in a couple others, finished top 6 in over half my leagues (a goal of mine for all my leagues since mentioned by Kent Stermon during my first draft this past pre-season as a benchmark for competitiveness), and as an added bonus, turned a profit.

I'd like to thank Greg and Tom and Ryan for putting on this contest this year, it's been a blast. I'd also like to thank them for not giving me a hard time about this blog, no matter what I wrote about on any given day.

This will obviously be my last entry. It's been fun writing down my thoughts every day, sharing them with those who could relate to what I was experiencing, and reading the feedback from those who read along or joined in. I really enjoyed the experience.

I'll probably take some time away from these boards as I wind down from the baseball season. As fun as these races have been these last few weeks, they've also been a bit exhausting & I need a mental break. I'll probably try to not think about fantasy sports at all for a week and then focus on my neglected football teams. Believe me, they need me to start paying attention to them. :eek: Baseball thoughts I'll likely put off for a bit longer.

Again, it's been a blast. Hopefully next year will be as much fun.

Glenn

[ October 03, 2010, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Glenneration X ]

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:21 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed your blog the last couple of weeks Glenn. Congratulations on your successes, and enjoy the off season. You're a class act.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:24 pm

Now that the final standings are in (and I realize that once again I need a refresher course in math ), I just wanted to give one more congrats to Mark & Chris for their 2nd & 3rd place finishes. It was an intense race at the finish, one that I fell a bit short in, but one that I was excited to be a part of nonetheless.

Great job, deserved finishes, enjoy your offseasons, and try not to spend all the money in one place! (Steve, Chad, that goes for you guys too!!! ;) )

Glenn