Who would hit fifth?

Edwards Kings

Who would hit fifth?

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:18 am

One of those silly "what if" posts. Some guys from north of the Mason-Dixon line were chewing on Chipper as compared to the Mick. Needless to say I set them right, but it got me thinking. If you had the "All World Class" of three switch-hitters (Eddie Murray, Chipper Jones, Mickey Mantle) on your team at the same time, who would you hit fifth?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Who would hit fifth?

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:12 am

With apologies to Chili Davis, Tim Raines, Maury Wills, Reuben Sierra, Carlos Beltran, Reggie Smith, Frankie Frisch, George Davis, and Bernie Williams....

1. Jose Reyes-ss

2. Pete Rose-lf

3. Mickey Mantle-cf

4. Eddie Murray-1b

5. Chipper Jones-3b

6. Lance Berkman-rf

7. Roberto Alomar-2b

8. Ted Simmons- c

9. Vida Blue- p

I gave Mick the number three spot because he is the most fearsome hitter.

Murray the number four spot because of his knack for rbi.

Chipper is probably a better pure hitter than both Mantle and Murray, but I would still put him number five.

Just as an aside, of the top 15 rbi players that played after 1900, only four of them hit right handed.

Aaron leads the pack and hit right handed. Others in the top 15 that were right handed were Mays, Foxx, and Winfield who will be passed by ARod once he gets off the disabled list. Murray is the only switch hitter in the top 15.

Left handers on the list are Ruth, Williams, Ott, Yastrzemski, Palmeiro, Cobb, Gehrig, Musial, Bonds, and Griffey.

[ July 26, 2011, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: DOUGHBOYS ]
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!