Chasing the NFBC 2012 - A Fantasy Baseball Blog

DOUGHBOYS

Re: Chasing the NFBC 2012 - A Fantasy Baseball Blog

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:13 am

You learned a valuable lesson, Glenn.
Near deadlines, fantasy overrides work; Work takes care of itself and isn't a thought till Monday
You live with fantasy all weekend and the eyes get tired going like this :roll:
You lose sleep, a little cranky, and are perplexed :?
Waking on Saturday: :cry:
Waking on Sunday: :x
Waking on Monday: :twisted:
And now, your work suffers. By meeting your deadlines, you actually become a better employee and focus better.
As your boss, I would understand.
Unfortunately, most bosses will not. :)
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:44 pm

I hear ya Doughy. Rest assured, I won't miss any deadlines this week. What time's first game again? :shock:

gpchurchill

Post by gpchurchill » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:04 pm

two periods to go. go rangers!!

at the very least, someone deck neil. please.

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:38 pm

glen, after reading your sad- no crying in fantasy baseball tale- i sincerely hope you do not own derek holland on any teams.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Greg, our Rangers live to see another day!! :D

And Mike, I agree there should be no crying allowed in fantasy baseball.
However a good rant is not only accepted behavior, but often encouraged. 8-) ;)

Raskol

Post by Raskol » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:46 am

I keep a few chickens in my backyard for just those kind of moments, Glenn.

Just remember, the beautiful thing about the bottom is that there is no way to go but up! ;)
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.--Hunter S. Thompson

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:03 am

Mr. Low - No R - y, :lol:

In the end, you be saying "Screw you, Jobu, I do it myself!" 8-) :D

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Emory, Wayne, I hear you both. Still, my Diamond and Ultimate Auction teams have been so rotten to date, I've been forced to employ a witch doctor for chicken sacrifices almost nightly. I'm almost out of chickens. :o

And the ones that are left are starting to get pissed!!! :shock:

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:44 am

Yup. It definitely gets tougher as the year goes on. Natural selection means the easy ones are taken early.

Stay cool!

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:02 pm

Some interesting and fun news tidbits regarding players on my various teams that have come out since Monday.....

- Michael Pineda torn labrum, out for the season (At least I have all the stats to date he's given me as a return for my draft pick investments :roll: )

- Carl Crawford to visit Dr. James Andrews (This might well as be a visit to Dr. Kevorkian. :shock: )

- Sergio Santos out AT LEAST 4 weeks (Wait, didn't the GM say he could have pitched Saturday if it were a playoff game?)

- Lorenzo Cain re-aggravates groin in rehab (Well, it's not like a healthy groin is critical to what I drafted him for....
oh wait... :? )

- Jon Jay feels renewed discomfort in his shoulder while swinging bat (It's a good thing being able to swing a bat's not necessary for a hitter to succeed in fantasy. :? )

- Jason Bay's futile dive results in broken rib (Why do these types of injuries always seem to happen on the Monday of a 5-game lineup period? )

- Ryan Zimmerman to test shoulder on "Thursday" to see if he can avoid DL (What happened to Sunday's report that he was feeling a lot better and there's no reason that he shouldn't be back in the lineup on "Tuesday"?? Good thing noone checks Sunday updates when setting their lineups.)

- Nolan Reimold misses 4th straight game with neck spasms (Ummmm, visit a chiropractor already Goddamnit!)

- Robert Andino leaves on paternity leave (Who the hell invented paternity leave anyway? What the hell's happening to this country? :x )

- Neftali Feliz to have his start skipped this week for early season rest (Ummm, it's freakin' April, what's he resting from? Good thing I only have him in the lineups for six teams. :( )

- Jim Johnson hospitalized with the flu (The flu?? My fantasy season's going up in smokes and JJ decides to admit himself for a cold.)

- Josh Donaldson optioned to the minors (This one might actually be a blessing.)

- And my personal favorite, Aubrey Huff placed on the DL with an anxiety disorder, again while giving me zero AB's during a 5-game lineup period (If this keeps up, I'll be next to be diagnosed with anxiety!!! :x )

The one silver lining....at least it's almost Friday and I can swap in some healthy players from my reserves. Oh wait, I have no more healthy players on my reserves! :x

What's this all mean in the grand scheme of things? I guess it means Chicken 1, GlennX and his Witchdoctor 0. :(

gpchurchill

Post by gpchurchill » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:53 pm

really wish you'd said "19" when pineda was up in our a.l., rather than let me have him at $18...:)

johnson is the only closer on my other a.l. team, currently in first. today's report that he is being held for further observation and they have yet to diagnose his ailment, has me wondering what i should bid on strop.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Glenneration X wrote:- Neftali Feliz to have his start skipped this week for early season rest (Ummm, it's freakin' April, what's he resting from? Good thing I only have him in the lineups for six teams. :( )
Good news, Neftali came out of the pen for one inning ... and gives up a HR to the first batter.

A zero was too good for you, said the chicken. :oops:

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:13 pm

Greg, I had all intents to bid $19 on Pineda if needed. Luckily I played cards all night before the auction and never managed to hit the sack. I ended up dozing off after bidding $17 only to be startled awake by Brady's call of "Sold for $18 to Team Churchill". I told you sleep was overrated. :)

And KJ, I got my revenge on that damn chicken today at lunch.

gpchurchill

Post by gpchurchill » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:36 pm

whew.

alfredsson. one of the most under-rated players, all-time.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:55 am

What a brutal couple weeks and the fun just won't end. Yesterday starts with Sean Marshall and Heath Bell in a matter of seconds each destroying the already ravaged ERA's and WHIP's of several of my teams and ends with the news that Dan Hudson and Lorenzo Cain will miss another month each and Carl Crawford up to three months. The year of injuries and closer futility continues and is getting very old very quickly.

In the words of Juprinka......

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue May 01, 2012 9:00 pm

As of today, the first month of the MLB season and with it the first month of the NFBC fantasy season are in the books. It's still too early to either celebrate with a Yoo-hoo shower if off to a hot start or bury your fantasy team if off to a slow start. However as pointed out by others on a couple threads recently, more than enough time has passed to get a handle on your fantasy prospects, the strengths and weaknesses of your respective teams, and what you need to do to sustain a good start or stem the tide of a bad one. With one month in, the following are the current standings both good and bad for my various teams in the various formats I've entered and a couple quick thoughts and feelings I have on each.

PREMIUM LEAGUES

Diamond League - 11th Place 60.5 pts
Ultimate Auction - 10th Place 67 pts
MtM Super - - 6th Place, 89 pts

Ummm, ugh!!! Just pure ugliness. :( Two thirds of my total fantasy investment is tied into these three teams, two thirds of my total fantasy investment looking like a poor bet for a decent return right now. At least I have my excuses set up already. I had to drive 4 hours each way through Friday night NYC rush hour traffic to get to the MtM and didn't sleep the night before in Vegas prior to the Diamond and Ultimate Auction. :P Yeah, that explains why these teams suck. Yeah, that's the ticket. 8-) :D In all seriousness and with all joking and weak alibis aside, it's been a poor job by me thus far. But.... it's still early. Plenty of time to resurrect the hopes and excitement I had for these teams when I first signed up for them.
Of the three, I think my best prospects lie with the MtM. Not only because my current standing for that team is better than the other two, but also because I've remained somewhat competitive with numerous players that should be carrying my team hitting bumps in the road. Albert Pujols has contributed very little to date and I have to believe that will eventually change. Josh Hamilton and Brandon Phillips have both spent time on the shelf, while in my lineups. Carl Crawford was an early pick that contributed nothing. Johnny Damon was an early FAAB that is only now ready to help out. And my top two pitchers, Cliff Lee and Dan Hudson are both on the DL, but both should return in the coming weeks. If I can hold on until all these players are back and performing up to speed, maybe I can improve my standing in this league.
The team I'm most concerned about unfortunately is the Diamond. Sure, I've had a few injuries here and there and there are also players that haven't performed as expected to date, but it's more than that. The team is lacking in team speed or at least productive speed in the form of stolen bases. Yet the power is also lacking. I focused on starting pitching while waiting on closers, but the starting pitching hasn't produced (and went almost the entire first two weeks before its first win), and the closers I waited on, Heath Bell and Frank Francisco, have increased my ERA and WHIP in lieu of my saves totals. The team construction is poor, but hopefully fixable. Still a lot of time, but also a lot of work to do.

MAIN EVENT

1st Weekend Online - 3rd Place, 97.5 pts, 89th Overall
2nd Weekend Vegas - 7th Place, 81.5 pts, 186th Overall

If there's any evidence in my teams that we're still extremely early in the season, it's the drastic movement my Vegas Main Event team made in both the league and overall standings over the weekend. Unfortunately, the movement was all downward. On Friday, my team stood first in the league with over 105 points and was in the top 50 of the overall. Today only 4 days later, it's lost 25 points and 6 spots in the league and over 130 spots in the overall. :shock: Yikes. I had a bad weekend, but still!! Hopefully, if I can drop that many points that quickly, I can gain them back just as quickly. If I can hang tough for a while, there might be potential reinforcements on the way. This team has Lorenzo Cain, Mike Morse, and of course Kevin Youkilis recovering from injuries, Mike Carp just returning, Trevor Bauer and Roy Oswalt stashed, John Jay just picked up in FAAB this Sunday, and Jesus Montero likely to be catcher-eligible in a week or so. That's a lot of "potential" firepower that could be available later in the season. We'll see if it comes through and can help.
My other Main Event team has been steadily climbing the league standings this past week or so and just got back into a cash spot. With both Allen Craig and Carlos Quentin getting healthier, Justin Upton starting to produce, and Jon Lester stemming his tide of horrible starts, I was starting to feel pretty good about this team....until yesterday. Yesterday this team lost Evan Longoria for up to two months. Ugh. Big hit. Well, I just picked up Alex Liddi. I just have to hope he proves a capable stand in.

12 TEAMERS

Vegas 3/30 XII - 1st Place, 94 pts, 3rd Overall
Online 3/24 XII - 2nd Place, 85.5 pts, 23rd Overall
Online 3/27 XII - 3rd Place, 82 pts, 44th Overall
Vegas 3/31 XII - 5th Place, 69 pts, 122nd Overall
Online Championship - 6th Place, 63 pts, 510th Overall

Last year I tasted my first success in the NFBC's 12-teamers as both of my Live DP teams were competitive with one even winning its league and finishing 5th in the overall. I tried to emulate that formula this year with different degrees of draft success, but so far so good on the results in the standings. Each of my 12 teamers are in the top half of their league standings with one 3rd overall in the XII. We'll see if the results hold up and if I can improve the standings on some or all. Of course no matter the formula, none can withstand pitching blowups. Thanks to Luke Hochevar (4 IP, 12 hits, 9 ER, 3 walks) and Jon Niese's (3 IP, 6 hits, 5 ER, 2 walks) stellar outings today, I have a feeling my team that WAS in 3rd overall today might be a bit lower on the list come morning. :x

SPECIALTY LEAGUES

NFBCK Keeper League - 8th Place, 77.5 pts
AL Auction - 8th Place, 57 pts

Not much to say about either of these teams, except that I have a lot of work to do for each. It'll be a helluva lot easier fixing the Keeper team than the AL Auction team considering what's available in FAAB. I was warned that FAAB in an Only league is a barren wasteland, but nothing could have prepared me for this. When Josh Tomlin's been my only significant pickup all season, I had to bid 160 to win him, and there was at least one other triple digit bid as a runner up :shock: , that's all you really need to know. It's rough sledding out there.

SLOW DRAFTS

150 Slow Draft - 1st Place, 137 pts, 1st Overall
150 Slow/Fast Draft - 2nd Place, 102.5 pts, 110th Overall
Max's 1000 Slow Draft - 10th Place, 73.5 pts, 448th Overall

The slow draft for which I lead the overall was my very first draft of the year. I should have just stopped there. :) Lord knows my Sundays would have been a lot easier. :D In all seriousness, it's very unlikely I hold on. I did a very poor job in providing depth for this team. In fact so poor that up until this past week, I've been forced to start Clint Barmes for this team....at Utility. :o Still, it's a real proud moment to find yourself on top of 1050 of the best players in the world, even if only for a day. 8-)

One month down, five months to go. It'll be interesting for me to look back later in the year at where I stood today and how these teams end up when all is said and done.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed May 02, 2012 8:36 pm

Monday.....bad.

Tuesday.....worse.

Wednesday.....worst.

Monday......bad.

Tuesday......worse.

Wednesday.......worst???

At this rate and with the level of damage getting more severe each day, by Sunday I may be able to start focusing early on football this year. :? It took God seven days to create the heavens, the earth and all within it. It looks like it may not take the Fantasy Gods that long to destroy a fantasy season, several fantasy teams and all within them.

gpchurchill

Post by gpchurchill » Thu May 03, 2012 9:58 am

thursday....

3rd OT Period
14:41 NYR Marian Gaborik (2) Wrist - ASST: B. Richards (5) AND D. Girardi (4)

one back, two forward.

enjoy

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu May 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks Greg, but.......

Thursday......it did get worse.

The greatest reliever in the history of the game out for the rest of the season leaving both my 1000 Slow Draft squad and my slow draft team that leads the overall now handicapped in saves for the rest of the season as well.

R.I.P.

No, not Mariano, but the fun of the fantasy baseball season. It's truly been a painful first month.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri May 04, 2012 5:52 pm

Currently, I'm taking part in the last phase of the Trendsetters draft, the NFFC's and my annual first football draft of the season. Tonight I'll once again be part of the Genesis draft, the FFPC's annual first. To most, it's way too early to be thinking fantasy football. However, with the way injuries have dominated the baseball season this year, it feels like I've been playing fantasy football for a month already. :? Well, at least I feel prepared. :D

By the way.....RT, you da man!!! Thank you Bud.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat May 05, 2012 6:39 am

I had a nice break from the insane and consistently bad news that is devastating many of our fantasy baseball seasons by taking a night off to draft a fantasy football team last night. Being able to focus on the "safer" sport was a nice reprieve. :)

Of course, the draft had to eventually end for me to come back to these fun updates.....

- Ryan Braun not in lineup, we still don't know how long he'll be out.
- Lomo scratched for more knee soreness.
- Carlos Beltran scratched due to hammy issue.
- Nolan Reimold finally placed on DL.
- Lorenzo Cain's injury prognosis gets worse yet again along with his timetable for return.
- Both Marmol and Santiago (what a waste of over 300 in FAAB for a pair of my squads) removed from their closer roles.
- Heath Bell throws gasoline on yet another save opportunity and has likely lost his closer role as well.
- Josh Johnson throws gasoline on yet another big lead as well as the quickly vanishing hopes for my pitching ratios.

- And to top it all off.....

Friday......the hits just keep on coming.

And I wasn't even touched by the Huston Street news last night. What a strange, strange year it's been. This blog and all the NFBC boards are turning into a Rotoworld update of injuries and closer mayhem. I no longer can consider it just bad luck or coincidence. It's obvious that there are higher powers at work here. The Fantasy Gods must be pissed off at us. :shock:

Jupinka, what did you do to get them so angry??? Whatever it was, go to confession already please. :?

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Sat May 05, 2012 9:53 am

You blaming me Lowry !?? You know when all this madness started ? When you stopped posting the obligatory chick pic under your countdown. That stopped and all went to hell in a hand basket. Time to fire the obligatory pic back up.

LEt's REV up that old engine !

Maybe this will get the gods off our backs ? no ?

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue May 08, 2012 8:53 am

Mr. Juprinka, I think you might be onto something. :!: The timing of the closer chaos, daily starter blowups, and mass injuries we've all been suffering through does seem to roughly coincide with the end of my daily postings of the Countdown's obligatory boob pics! Of course that also roughly coincides with the start of the baseball season itself, but I digress.

Though we all appreciate your attempt to end the bad karma my neglect has caused with the posting of that hottie on a cycle :shock: , those who've still suffered through the Bell, Downs, & Guerra grief, the Hochevar, Buchholz, & Humber disasters, and especially the Werth disabling that all took place following that post, are a bit hesitant to exclaim that the dark clouds have passed and that good times are ready to roll.

So I'll try to add to your efforts with a cycle shot of my own. Hopefully, this one will do the trick.

And even if it doesn't, after checking out this pic for a bit, we might not care as much. :D

Money

Post by Money » Tue May 08, 2012 10:15 am

Glenneration X wrote:Mr. Juprinka, I think you might be onto something. :!: The timing of the closer chaos, daily starter blowups, and mass injuries we've all been suffering through does seem to roughly coincide with the end of my daily postings of the Countdown's obligatory boob pics! Of course that also roughly coincides with the start of the baseball season itself, but I digress.

Though we all appreciate your attempt to end the bad karma my neglect has caused with the posting of that hottie on a cycle :shock: , those who've still suffered through the Bell, Downs, & Guerra grief, the Hochevar, Buchholz, & Humber disasters, and especially the Werth disabling that all took place following that post, are a bit hesitant to exclaim that the dark clouds have passed and that good times are ready to roll.

So I'll try to add to your efforts with a cycle shot of my own. Hopefully, this one will do the trick.

And even if it doesn't, after checking out this pic for a bit, we might not care as much. :D
This blog is finally starting to get on track. :D

One would never guess by the amount of whining that you are 2nd and 18th overall in the NFBC XXII and leading the slow draft overall standings. Steve is 11th overall in the main event. What are you guys complaining about. :o Most of us would kill to be in your position. :roll:

Good luck, the blog is awesome, keep it coming!!!
Joe

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue May 08, 2012 2:35 pm

[quote="Glenneration X"]

/quote]

Danger! Little Johnny joke!

Little Johnny after 'reading' Glenn's post....

Teacher:
So class, we've heard what everybody wishes they could be. Some students have said firemen.Some have said baseball players. Some, movie stars.

Little Johnny (waving his hand frantically) :
Teacher, you haven't heard mine!

Teacher:
Ok, Little Johnny, if you could be anything you wanted, what would you be?

Little Johnny:
A Bicycle seat!
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!