ALL-IN JD wrote:Glen,

He does have "closer's stuff" though!! :D :D :D
That's what I was thinking!!! :D :D :D

DOUGHBOYS

Re: The Chase Continues - A Fantasy Baseball Blog

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:01 pm

ALL-IN JD wrote:Glen,

He does have "closer's stuff" though!! :D :D :D

Not one pitcher from the past or present has been said to have, 'Set-Up Man's Stuff'.
After watching Harvey's excellent game almost frittered away by that Mets bullpen with' no stuff'' in the 8th inning today, it is clear that they need to find a guy with, at the least, 'Set-Up Man's stuff'.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:32 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Not one pitcher from the past or present has been said to have, 'Set-Up Man's Stuff'.
I hear ya Doughy. Though, by the way most of my fantasy staffs are performing tonight, I think "Set-Up Man Stuff" might be an upgrade.

The one exception of course being a young pitching stud who by his MLB debut performance tonight is quite clearly showing he has "Superstar Ace Stuff".

Damn, that's some ACE stuff!!!! I think we can all agree the future's looking real bright in Queens. ;)

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:02 pm

there is always yoervis medina.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:27 pm

headhunters wrote:there is always yoervis medina.
Don't worry Mike, I'll probably be bidding on him next week too. :shock:

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:44 am

Is it me or does Chris Davis hit a home run every single day? Another pair of blasts yesterday, 26 on the year.

Davis is rostered for just under half my teams.
I'm not ashamed to say that the bevy of blasts has me developing quite the man crush on the guy. Image

Without question, my best target this season. I guess every once in a while, even a near sighted dog finds a bone.

Keep up the good work Chris, you are the man!!!

The answer for everyone who has you on their fantasy teams would be a resounding yes!!

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:49 am

Glenneration X wrote:How often does it happen? A closer role opens up towards the end of the week due to injury or ineffectiveness, but by FAAB Sunday all the information to make a clear cut decision on who will be the replacement closer is not available to us. Managers claim the position will be filled by the dreaded committee, there's often more than one option that could potentially fill the role, and of course noone cares that we need these answers by 8pm Sunday. :?

So we take the information that is on hand and we make an educated guess.

Heath Bell/David Hernandez
Junichi Tazawa/Koji Uehara
Vinnie Pestano/Joe Smith/Cody Allen

Obviously some of us end up guessing wrong, while some others guess right. Which side of the ledger do you think I end up on more often than not? :?

This weekend, we were given another of these choices.

Carter Capps or Oliver Perez

Once again, I struck out.

Strike one - I chose Capps.
Strike two - Capps is brought into last night's game in the 6th inning, pretty much an acknowledgement that he's not being saved for the 9th. :?
Strike three - Figuring that I'd better chance striking while the iron is hot since Wilhelmsen's demotion may be a short term one, I put Capps in my lineups including for the Diamond. Last night's ROI: 2/3 inning, 2 hits, 2 walks, 4 ER. :shock:

Well, at least I didn't have to sit long in suspense this time. An added benefit to being wrong once again is that I can now drop Capps if I need a spot for the next closer roller of the dice on Sunday. ;)

I hear ya Carter. I made the same face when I saw your box score this morning.
Arghhh!!!!!!!! Another classic line last night for Mr. Capps. 0 IP, 3 H, 2 ER. :x

Can we test out Friday pitching moves for just one week please so I can get this disaster out of my lineups? :(
Man, I thought at worst that even if he turned out not to be the closer he'd give me some quality WHIP & ERA innings. :?

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:23 pm

There are times you think the Fantasy Gods have it in for you. Then there are times that you just know. :?

Patrick Corbin, a starter for a couple of my fantasy teams including a Main Event, had pitched a gem and was in line for a victory, if only Heath Bell, a closer for a couple of my fantasy teams including the Diamond, could notch the save. A single game providing a win and save for a couple of my more important teams. This is what fantasy is all about. :) Alas, it was not meant to be. One Jay Bruce home run swing later and Bell had blown the save and Corbin's win in one fell swoop. :(

However, not all was lost! Mike Leake, a starter for a couple of my fantasy teams including a Main Event, was now in line for the victory, and Aroldis Chapman, a closer for a couple of my fantasy teams including the 12-team Super, was now heading in for the save. Different teams would benefit, but a win and a save was still all but guaranteed for a couple of my squads. :) Ummm, huh? Before I knew what happened, Chapman had pulled a Bell and blown the save as well. :x

One game, two wins not to be, two blown saves, and nothing to show for it but some ERA & WHIP damage from my closers. Honestly, why do I even play this game?

I don't think I ever mentioned this before....but I #@%$^# HATE CLOSERS!!!

Seriously, this is the guy I start for a team with a $10K buy-in? I should have just given the money to charity. Well, I guess in a sense I did since it does qualify as a donation. :?

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:36 am

Being a former Met I REALLY think you should have known better!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Glenneration X wrote:One game, two wins not to be, two blown saves, and nothing to show for it but some ERA & WHIP damage from my closers. Honestly, why do I even play this game?

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily."

Bluto Blutarsky
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:18 pm

An Animal House reference! Very, very nice Wayne! :D

Brings me back to my youth. For those youngins on these boards who think raunchy teen comedies started with the American Pie franchise, the Golden Age of this genre actually took place a couple decades earlier.

Animal House was the original. A flick that ushered in an era of timeless classics that include among them Porky's, Meatballs, Revenge of the Nerds, Bachelor Party, etc., etc., and of course my personal fave....
Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

This movie featured one of the most memorable scenes in film history, right up there with the Psycho shower scene, the Taxi Driver mirror scene, "Make him an offer he can't refuse", and Sharon Stone crossing her legs.....

Oh and by the way, this should give a hint to my thought process towards Doughy's first This or That question. :D

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:53 pm

I've had either one or the other of these two epitomes of health infesting the reserves of almost every one of my teams the first half of the season. Does anyone have a 1B with two healthy knees or wrists they could lend me for the 2nd half?

On the bright side, I finally get to drop their lame a$$es this weekend for someone I can actually play.

Lesson learned: Never, ever, ever trust a player's self-diagnosis on his own injury.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:15 pm

Great picture of Teixeira.
He makes the same face every time something out of the ordinary happens to him.
We never know if it's something serious, or whether he'll step back up to the plate and hit a homer.
Love seeing his reactions.
In fact, in the picture you featured, poor Mark had just been bitten by a mosquito.
On my tombstone-

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:42 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:In fact, in the picture you featured, poor Mark had just been bitten by a mosquito.
In this picture: Teixeira being carried off by a killer mosquito as Hart tries to get away on his bum knees. :shock:

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:36 pm

With week 14 in the books and the calendar turning to July, here's a quick update on my teams as we make our turn down the back stretch into the second half of the fantasy season.

Diamond League - 7th Place, 77.5 points
I still can't seem to get this team out of the middle of the pack mediocrity it's been languishing in all season and make a run towards a cash spot. Hanley's healthy now (for the time being), Grandy's due back in the coming weeks, and Pujols, Cano, Zobrist, Zimmerman, Leonys, Dunn and others are finally showing signs of life, so the offense may be getting untracked. However, this roster's pitching is an absolute mess. First place is a pipe dream with Particelli extending his ridiculous lead to 42 points over second, but even in 7th place, I'm only 6 points out of a cash spot (right now I'm happy that Greg rejected Massotto's plea to reduce the cash spots from 4 to 3 ;) ) and only 10 points out of second. Significant cash is still well within reach, but I'll have to figure out how to fix this staff to get out of mediocreville and into the race.

Ultimate Auction - 1st Place, 119 points
I've led this league pretty much all year and at several points during the year had managed to extend the lead to double digits (not quite Particelli levels, but still :)). All season long though, Team Ferrari would not go away. This past week, a series of bad starts by my team and great starts by the Ferrari staff brought us to a dead heat as we head into the season's 2nd half. The amazing thing about Ferrari is he's at 119 points while pretty much punting saves and steals. :shock: However this is a factor that may benefit my chances as he's pretty much maxed out in points. My squad has to pick up the pace though, as Team Ferrari is dominating the 8 categories he's focused on. It's pretty much in my hands and I really, really want this one. My new dream:

Main Event - Las Vegas - 1st Place, 115 points, 19th overall
First place in a Main with the Overall at least within view isn't a bad place to be. That is until you realize who's stalking you in 2nd and 3rd place in the league....none other than Lindy and the dynamic duo of Nolan/Stephenson. :shock: Anyone want to switch leagues for the 2nd half?

Main Event - Online - 6th Place, 93.5 points, 171st overall
The squad I'm sharing with and chronicling for Baseball HQ, it's another team that I can't seem to get out of mediocrity and into the race. Maybe I should spend less time writing about this crew and more time fixing it. :?

Main Event - NYC - 2nd Place, 101 points, 92nd overall
The exact opposite of my Diamond team, this roster's hitting has struggled all season while its pitching has carried it. Thanks to later picks and free agents who've come through in Minor, Teheran, Holland, Griffin, Corbin, Nolasco, Lackey & Grilli, it's been a magic carpet ride for this staff. On the other hand, Kemp, Longo, Pedroia, ARam, Jesus Montero, Victorino, Utley, Crawford, Berkman, Leonys, and of course Cory Hart have only contributed that always appreciated combination of injuries and disappointing performances. However, if the pitching can keep it up and the hitting can somehow get healthy and perform, there's still enough time to make a run.

KJ's MLBC Salary Cap League - 1st Place, 119 points
This squad's managed to hold onto the lead despite a non-stop cascade of injuries and underperformance from expensive pitching buys Cuerto, Josh Johnson, Halladay, Brett Myers, Chris Carpenter, etc. etc. Now with the hitters starting to join these pitchers on the injury front in Crawford, Tulo, & Longo (I know, big surprises there :? ), will this team be able to hold on?

Max's 1000 Slow Draft - 9th Place, 79 points
This roster's turning it around a bit and putting up slightly better numbers. Still it has pretty much no chance of cashing. Of course, the biggest disgrace is the team even trails Massotto's by a point. Is there no end to the shame? :(

Joe Berg's 12-Team Super - 3rd Place, 78 points
Been pretty much going back and forth amongst the top-4 spots with Juprinka, Dobies, and Particelli all season. Now I look back and Zarogiannos, Berg, & Chad are racing up to join us. As if this race wasn't going to be tough enough as it is. :shock:

XII Las Vegas - 4th Place, 73.5 points, 48th overall
I've been working hard to try to get this team back into the race. However, it may already be too late even sitting in 4th place. 15 points out of 3rd and 25 points out of 1st, there may already be too much ground to make up.

XII Online - 2nd Place, 87.5 points, 22nd overall
Still in 2nd place in the league, still chasing Eric John, the team in 2nd place in the Overall (and 3rd :o ). Such is the curse of league placement.

XII NYC - 3rd Place, 79.5 points, 46th overall
Held first place in this league all season long until this week. On a downward spiral of epic proportions, yes even Roy Ericson has passed me in the standings. There's obviously no end to the pain in sight. :?

Online Championships 3/17 Draft - 8th Place, 60.5 points
In contention with my slow draft squad for my worst, I look at this team however and can't figure out why it's performing so poorly. The curse of the 12-teamers.

Online Championships 3/31 Draft - 1st Place, 87 points
This team's been chasing the leaders all season and finally moved into a tie for the lead yesterday. I look at this team however and can't figure out why it's performing so well. You know where I'm going with this Joe. I know, it's getting old, but I just can't help myself. My wife always tells me I beat jokes to death. :)

FFBC Main Event - 4th Place, 85.5 points
Fast April start, brutal May and early June, starting to bounce back late June. Hopefully this team (and all my teams) are gearing up for a strong 2nd half.

Half the season behind us, a long three months to go. The dog days are here. Good luck to all the rest of the way. It's been fun so far, hopefully the rest of the way will be even more so.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:33 am

I'm off from work today and pretty much just got to relax all morning. My wife Audrey is making lunch. We'll eat before heading out back to the pool with the kids. A little later we'll head out to a barbecue where we'll eat some more before setting off some fireworks. And all day long there'll be MLB games being played on the tube and the radio.
Just a perfect day.

I love this holiday. I love this country more. Happy 4th of July everyone. Enjoy your families, your friends, the fireworks, and the games. Happy Birthday America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrV8QPQAhxo

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Matt Kemp back on the DL. Jeez, what a horrible waste of first round picks. Adding insult to injury, he goes from "likely to play Monday" during Sunday's FAAB to the disabled list once this week's games started less than 24 hours later. Seriously, how does that happen? And when it does, why is it always right after lineups start locking on Mondays?? :?

Before this season, I hadn't had Kemp on any of my teams since 2010. His disgraceful performance that season tainted him to such a degree in my eyes, it took two seasons to wipe away the scars.

At least that season, Kemp had an excuse for his putrid performance that I could live with. He was getting some *****.
This season, it's just that he is a *****. :?

I think it'll be a while before Kemp sees the inside of another one of my rosters.

Oh and while we're at using **** letter words, Aramis can go **** himself also.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 am

Now zen...Mr. Low(no r)y, now zat ve has addressed zur New York Mets delusions of glandur, ve must discuss zur anger management issues vith people who only 90 days ago you professed zuch an affinity for....but zur hour is zup. Zee you nest week!

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Hey Lowry ! What the hell's this all about !!! Don't see Goose or Gid or Pettitte pulling this kind of crap...
Don't know about you and your heros Mr Met...
Attachments
espn-.jpg
Lowrys dream: A chance meet with Harvey at the Bellagio in March ;-)
espn-.jpg (49.16 KiB) Viewed 119533 times

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:08 pm

Quahogs wrote:Hey Lowry ! What the hell's this all about !!! Don't see Goose or Gid or Pettitte pulling this kind of crap...
Where's that 'blister' again?
On my tombstone-

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:05 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Quahogs wrote:Hey Lowry ! What the hell's this all about !!! Don't see Goose or Gid or Pettitte pulling this kind of crap...
Where's that 'blister' again?
Don't you fret Doughy, Juprinka....I think yesterday's ballgame proves we've got a pretty good stand-in at team ace while our All-Star game starter recovers. ;)

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:18 am

Edwards Kings wrote:Now zen...Mr. Low(no r)y, now zat ve has addressed zur New York Mets delusions of glandur, ve must discuss zur anger management issues vith people who only 90 days ago you professed zuch an affinity for....but zur hour is zup. Zee you nest week!

Mr. Edwa(r)ds (with an r), I think both you and Dr. F(r)eud (also with an r) would both agree that a good fantasy baseball rant is therapeutic. :D

I'm pretty sure Cha(r)les (once again also with an r) Schultz would also concur.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:10 am

Poor (also with an r) Glenn!
A Mets fan no matter what.
Unknowing that the Mets are at a poker table with other players who let them win a hand or two an hour to keep their money in the game.

Worse, in looking at the 'players' around the table, it is a beagle, a chitzuh, and poodle that is beating them like a drum. :D
On my tombstone-

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:31 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Poor (also with an r) Glenn!
A Mets fan no matter what.
Unknowing that the Mets are at a poker table with other players who let them win a hand or two an hour to keep their money in the game.

Worse, in looking at the 'players' around the table, it is a beagle, a chitzuh, and poodle that is beating them like a drum. :D

Hey Doughy, if we're going to play poker, can we at least use my deck? ;)