The Chase Continues - A Fantasy Baseball Blog

ALL-IN JD

Re: The Chase Continues - A Fantasy Baseball Blog

Post by ALL-IN JD » Tue May 28, 2013 8:17 am

Steve,

Similar to those old Michael Jordan fans the young Met fans have their own manta, "I wanna be like Ike!!" :D :D :D

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Tue May 28, 2013 8:35 am

ALL-IN JD wrote:Steve,

Similar to those old Michael Jordan fans the young Met fans have their own manta, "I don't wanna be like Ike!!" :D :D :D
c'mon bud, even Mets fans aren't that delusional. I re-worked your quote for you :D

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Tue May 28, 2013 12:26 pm

That Chris Young blast cost me a staggering amount in daily games that day. Brutal that it cost you a bid also.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue May 28, 2013 7:28 pm

Quahogs wrote:
ALL-IN JD wrote:Steve,

Similar to those old Michael Jordan fans the young Met fans have their own manta, "I don't wanna be like Ike!!" :D :D :D
c'mon bud, even Mets fans aren't that delusional. I re-worked your quote for you :D
Hey Guys, thanks for your concern but we Mets fans aren't too worried about Ike. When you have a team filled with young, up and coming studs like the Mets, there's bound to be some growing pains on the way towards their eventual superstardom.

Of course, I wouldn't expect Yankees fans to understand that. After Cano leaves via free agency at season's end, the youngest player in their starting lineup will already be three years into his pension. ;)

In this photo: A part of the Yankees youth movement next season. :shock:

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue May 28, 2013 7:33 pm

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:That Chris Young blast cost me a staggering amount in daily games that day. Brutal that it cost you a bid also.
Yeah Chad, it was a rough moment. I wasn't going to mention it, but two days later on Sunday night I gave Draftstreet's Championship another try. I held first place late into the Sunday night game. That is until Uggla's homer knocked me into my eventual runner up finish. Close but no cigar. Hmmm, where have I felt that feeling before?

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed May 29, 2013 5:35 am

Quahogs wrote:Mr Lowry I need you to hit .333 here. ;) Don't pike like Ike !
Well that went well. Juprinka!!! What kind of evil hex did you place on our poor Gausman?!? :shock: :o :shock:

I suppose I have to take some of the blame. Lord knows I haven't gotten a rookie pitcher right since the days of Doc, Fernandomania, and Mark "The Bird" Fidrych. :(

Hopefully Gausman can turn it around Sunday against the Tigers. :shock: That seems promising. :?

The Bird back in his glory days consulting on how to thwart the evil & powerful Juprinka curse. :shock:

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed May 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Lowry, now why would I curse myself ? I may suck yes but it's unintentional.

I was busy yesterday besides. I had the MHorrow-Maholm afternoon tea combo followed by the Helldickson-Gagman evening main course. So I kind of just made myself comfortable :cry: .
Attachments
toilimages.jpg
toilimages.jpg (3.87 KiB) Viewed 118819 times

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed May 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Quahogs wrote:Lowry, now why would I curse myself ? I may suck yes but it's unintentional.

I was busy yesterday besides. I had the MHorrow-Maholm afternoon tea combo followed by the Helldickson-Gagman evening main course. So I kind of just made myself comfortable :cry: .
I hear ya Bud. The Fantasy Gods have smited my team over the past couple weeks with pitching disaster after pitching disaster as well, along with injury after injury (and we don't even have a DL rule in place!!!! :| ), and bad management decision on my part after bad management decision. The results have been to watch way too many of my teams slowly spiral towards the precipice of the abyss. :(

Still, it's not a time for me to wallow in being forsaken by the Fantasy Gods.
I need to FOCUS.....

Jeez!!! He's not going there again! Nahhh. :D

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed May 29, 2013 5:55 pm

focus-lg.jpg
Focus upper right - go ahead, give it a try.
focus-lg.jpg (162.02 KiB) Viewed 118796 times

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed May 29, 2013 6:59 pm

:lol: :lol:

Upper right is her right hand, right?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu May 30, 2013 8:02 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote::lol: :lol:

Upper right is her right hand, right?
To be honest Doughy, I didn't even notice that she had hands. :o

And KJ, you're hired as my focus hypnotist. :D

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu May 30, 2013 8:38 pm

Seriously, could that have been any easier? 8-)
Now, if only winning the NFBC was that simple. :D

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:52 am

With the calendar making its turn into June, here's a quick update on my teams at the fantasy season's 1/3 mark......

Diamond League - 6th place, 79 points
From day to day, I could end up sitting almost anywhere in the standings as they remain extremely tight between most of us, only 13 points seperating 2nd place from 11th. I write most of us because first place is completely out of reach with Particelli holding a 40 point advantage over 2nd while running away with this league. A very impressive job thus far Bobby.
Personally, I can't seem to get over the hump of mediocrity for this league. I was the one who paid a small fortune to pick up Adam Dunn a couple weeks back after Juprinka's public drop of him as power's been a year long weakness for this team. However, Grandy's short lived return left me at par. Perhaps, Hanley's 2nd return this coming week will tip the scales for me in those power categories. As far as pitching, a perfect example of my mismanagement there is that after holding Luke Gregerson as a CIW through the seasons's 1st two months, I finally dropped him last weekend for the immortal Chad Qualls only to see Huston Street almost immediately go on the DL.

Ultimate Auction - 1st place, 119 points
I'm pretty proud of my efforts here through the early part of the season as I still feel like somewhat of a novice in the auction format. Unfortunately I don't have a Particelli sized lead here and Jim Ferrari's been hot on my heels in recent weeks. I really want this one as both an accomplishment as I'm still looking for my first championship in either a premium league or the auction format, and in regards to ROI as winning this league alone would guarantee this entire season as a profitable one.

Main Event - Las Vegas - 4th place, 97.5 points, 91st overall
This team was 1st in its league and 18th overall during my last update at the season's quarter pole. However, it followed up its great April with a very shaky May. This team has suffered through the worst of my mismanagement this season as my two big FAAB buys here were Dee Gordon and Kevin Gausman. :shock: Hopefully, Gausman will turn it around later today against the Tigers. :o I'm not feeling too confident however. :?
Two of the three teams that have passed me since the last update are run by the Great Lindy and dynamic duo of Nolan/Stephenson. I can't afford another month like May in June.

Main Event - Online - 6th place, 94 points, 182nd overall
This is the team I'm covering for BHQ and I wonder if they're rethinking their decision. :? June could be a big month for this team as it's another that will benefit from Hanley's return next week and should see the return of Aaron Hill, Corey Hart, and Peter Bourjos as well before the month is out. However, this team did lose its best performing pitcher in Tony Cingrani due to the mismanagement of Dusty Baker (at least it wasn't me this time :D ), so there's some work to be done there.

Main Event - NYC - 2nd place, 101.5 points, 102nd overall
A team that I just can't seem to keep healthy, I don't think I've had one week this season that the starting lineup's given me a full slate of games without one or two players within it joining their fallen comrades in missing games. The latest being Kemp and Crawford this week. Last week it was Victorino and Utley hitting the DL and Montero being demoted. The week before it was etc. etc. etc. Partially due to these injuries, the hitting for this team has been a tremendous disappointment thus far, but the pitching has performed well above expectations and has carried it during the season's early going. Even though Bumgarner and Medlen have both been scuffling a bit lately, thanks to the efforts of Minor, Teheran, Holland, Corbin, Griffin, Nolasco, and Lackey, pitching's been the least of my worries.
Coming out of the draft, I thought John Hogan had the league's best team and he recently raced past me into first place for this league. He'll be tough to catch.

KJ's MLBC Salary Cap League - 1st place, 117 points
The general theory for this format is that you either have to spend big and go for one of the top 3 league finish cash spots or go real cheap and try for the Manager of the Year cash spot which is based on a formula that rewards the best finish compared to price paid. The one thing that was generally acknowledged is that you couldn't play it half way. Of course one drafter still did, Bruce Pucci. And of course, he's currently 2nd in this league, right on my ass at half the cost, and pretty much just making a mockery of that general theory.

Max's 1000 Slow Draft - 13th place, 70.5 points
My one absolute disgrace this year. It kills me that I can't even try to fix it through FAAB. I just have to sit and watch it wallow in horrid ineptitude.
It's gotten so bad that I've even fallen below Massotto in the standings for this league. :shock: :( :? :cry: :P

Joe Berg's 12-Team Super - 3rd place, 75.5 points
3rd place is kind of a sucky place to be in a league that pays out two spots. ;) Juprinka's starting to get comfortable in 1st place in this league's standings. Particelli's holding 2nd and Dobies is right behind me in 4th. A tough group to try to make a run against. My hitting here has been competitive but the pitching's had trouble getting it together, mostly due to the starts of Verlander and Medlen. Not that they've been awful, but in a 12-teamer you need your aces to be aces, and through the early part of the season both haven't. If they turn it around however and start pitching like they did last season, I might have a chance to make a run here. If they don't, I'll be lucky to hold onto even my current sucky 3rd place position.

XII Las Vegas - 6th place, 66 points, 87th overall
This team's starting to come around after its brutal April. I do believe it's tougher to make up ground in a 12-team league when compared to a 15-teamer because even though its easier for you to repair your issues through FAAB in a 12-teamer, its easier for the teams you're trying to catch as well.

XII Online - 2nd place, 88 points, 15th overall
With my NYC XII scuffling a bit lately, this team has replaced it as my highest in the overall standings. Unfortunately I am competing in this league against Eric Green, the owner of the team currently 3rd in the XII overall. I believe this may be my most strongest and most balanced XII however. It does have a couple weaknesses, but if I can address them I'm hopeful this team can make a run.

XII NYC - 1st place, 84.5 points, 21st overall
Two weeks ago, this team was in 2nd overall. Injuries, regression (there's that evil word Doughy :o ), and some bad decisions have unfortunately hurt this team since. Hopefully I can turn it around and get this team back on the track it appeared to be on just a couple weeks ago.

Online Championships 3/17 Draft - 5th place, 73 points
This team seems cursed. It's the one that drafted both Hanley and Headley the days before their preseason injuries. The bad luck just continued with the early season injuries to Greinke, Cuerto, Billingsley, Brett Anderson, Aaron Hill, Maybin, Jim Henderson, etc and the recent demotions of Jesus Montero and Dee Gordon (though those may be blessings in disguise. :? ) This team has managed to stay within striking range within its league, so if and when the luck turns, maybe it can make a run.

Online Championships 3/31 Draft - 4th place, 79 points
Another team crushed by injuries lately to Price, Ogando, Josh Johnson, Bryce Harper, Aaron Hill, etc, somehow it's only 5 1/2 points out of 1st. The wonders of 12-teamers. :D You didn't think I'd go through an entire update without writing that somewhere, did ya Joe? ;)

FBPC Main Event - 6th place, 82.5 points, 41st overall
This team's been slowly sinking over the past few weeks and is another that's been battling injuries all season. Hanley returns next week however and hopefully the other key pieces on the shelf are not far behind and can fuel a turnaround.

Two months down, a long four months to go. It feels like the season just started, but before you know we'll be done. Noone says it's early anymore. It's more than past time to get these teams firing on all cylinders.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:05 pm

I'm managing 13 NFBC teams this season and an FBPC squad to boot. 14 teams altogether, several more than I had originally planned on and probably a few more than I can effectively manage. So what does someone do when he has more teams than he can possibly handle? Well, isn't it obvious. He grabs another. Like any true addict, ya gotta feed that vein. :D 8-)

For the first time since Fanball went under, I thought I'd give the Diamond Challenge a try with their mid-season offering. There's been more than enough CDM boys that have ventured over to the NFBC and dominated here. I thought I'd head over there and try their game again as well.

The following is the team I put together for one of the two Premier Leagues that CDM offers as part of their Mid-Season Diamond Challenge that starts today. I have no idea if I put together a team that can be competitive, but it was fun trying.... :D

Starting Hitters

C LUCROY, JONATHAN - MLW $710
C DOUMIT, RYAN - MIN $730
1B FREEMAN, FREDDIE - ATL $1,040
1B GOLDSCHMIDT, PAUL - ARZ $1,080
2B CANO, ROBINSON - NYY $1,600
2B JOHNSON, KELLY - TB $890
3B CABRERA, MIGUEL - DET $1,750
3B MACHADO, MANNY - BAL $600
SS TULOWITZKI, TROY - COL $1,200
SS SEGURA, JEAN - MLW $430
OF BRAUN, RYAN - MLW $1,640
OF MCCUTCHEN, ANDREW - PIT $1,520
OF GONZALEZ, CARLOS - COL $1,420
OF TROUT, MIKE - LAA $1,400
OF JONES, ADAM - BAL $1,240
OF GOMEZ, CARLOS - MLW $800
DH Players
1B DAVIS, CHRIS - BAL $670
OF BROWN, DOMONIC - PHI $470

Starting Pitchers

SP LYNN, LANCE - STL $860
SP HERNANDEZ, FELIX - SEA $1,330
SP SANCHEZ, ANIBAL - DET $910
SP MOORE, MATT - TB $800
SP MINOR, MIKE - ATL $700
SP ZIMMERMANN, JORDAN - WAS $930
RP *MUJICA, EDWARD - STL $750
RP GRILLI, JASON - PIT $870
RP REED, ADDISON - CWS $960
Swing Pitcher
SP HARVEY, MATT - NYM $650

Taxi Players

C ROSARIO, WILIN - COL $690
1B ENCARNACION, EDWIN - TOR $1,230
2B KIPNIS, JASON - CLE $870
3B WRIGHT, DAVID - NYM $1,320
SS DESMOND, IAN - WAS $1,140
OF HARPER, BRYCE - WAS $860
SP KERSHAW, CLAYTON - LAD $1,570
SP SALE, CHRIS - CWS $1,000
SP WAINWRIGHT, ADAM - STL $1,130
SP DARVISH, YU - TEX $950
SP MILLER, SHELBY - STL $590
RP PARNELL, BOBBY - NYM $730

knuckleheads

Post by knuckleheads » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:34 pm

I quit playing CDM when they started taking 8-10 weeks to payout, FYI. It's been a few years, but that's never a good sign...

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:36 am

knuckleheads wrote:I quit playing CDM when they started taking 8-10 weeks to payout, FYI. It's been a few years, but that's never a good sign...
I hear ya Dave, but rumor has it that they're under new management. ;)

8-10 weeks is way too long to get us paid, but take it from someone who knows.... at least they paid. I've played and won in contests that didn't and trust me that sucked far worse.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:20 am

I got up around 5am this morning. It's habit formed from years of getting up early for work. I remember when I was a kid and wondered how my father managed to get up early every single day never needing an alarm clock. I understand now. However, typically on a Sunday I would just roll over and try to fall back to sleep, try to get another hour or two until the kids wake up. This morning though was different.

My son has baseball at 11am. Afterwards, we have plans to meet up with my parents and brothers, nieces and nephews, at the Brookhaven Fair, a local carnival that comes around once a year for a couple weeks. Today's its last day in our town. It'll be a fun and great day for the kids.

The one unfortunate thing for me is that pretty much only left the early morning for my Sunday FAAB. Thus the early get up time. I've been working on FAAB since.... and "working" is the right word. It's days like this that make FAAB feel like work. It's days like this that FAAB makes my Sundays feel like a Monday. It's days like this that make me regret having as many teams as I do. :?

I suppose I'd enjoy FAAB more if I were better at it. My big buys this year being Tony Cingrani, Dee Gordon, and Kevin Gausman, I'm obviously not. Maybe I should just spend less time on it. I couldn't do worse and I wouldn't have to get up as early on those Sundays when I have plans. :D

Enjoy your Sunday everyone. It should be a fun one for me and my family. That is until later tonight when I get to see how I butchered my FAAB this week. 8-)

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:42 pm

"I hate Mondays."

I've heard it a million times, we all have. Mondays represent the end of our weekends, spent with our families and friends or even at times just in glorious solitude, when we got to do what we wanted, how and when we wanted, even if all we wanted was to do nothing at all. Mondays are the start of our work week, back to the grind, another long week of work, stress, and the rat race before we get to relax once again.

However, Mondays are something completely different for a fantasy baseball player. Mondays are a fresh start, a chance to try our brand new toys bought in FAAB the night before, a chance to change our lineups once again, this time starting the right players at the right time, all healthy and productive and ready to help begin our push up the standings. Everything seems so bright and optimistic on a Monday....that is until our lineups lock and the games start.

Ever notice how every injury seems to happen on a Monday? Every demotion to the minors or the bench or the pen?
Ever notice how it doesn't even take 'til Tuesday before you can't wait until the following Monday so you can start over once again with the next fresh start? :?

Our own decisions that bite us in the ass are the biggest rub of all. For me this Monday, I don't think I made one good one.

Adam Dunn - After two months of starting Dunn every week and watching game after game of 0-4 with 2 K's and a walk, my squads were finally healthy enough to sit Dunn for two of the three teams I have him rostered on.

Monday results for Dunn: 4 for 4, 2 HR's, 3 R's, 5 RBI's :?

Rickie Weeks - After two months of starting Weeks every week and watching game after game of 0-4 with 2 K's and no walks, and recently watching him being sat for the likes of the immortal Scooter Gennett, I had finally had enough and sat him in a Super.

Monday results for Weeks: 3 for 5, HR, R, RBI :(

Will Venable - After two months of rostering and starting Venable for his twice a week starts and three times a week PH/PR appearances, I finally grew weary of watching him sit for the likes of Chris Denorfia and dropped him on 3 of the 4 teams I had him rostered on.

Monday results for Venable: 2 for 3, HR, 2 R's, 3 RBI's :x

Kenley Jansen - After two months of rostering Kenley Jansen just to watch the Dodgers go back to Brandon League time and time again, I chose to no longer hold two backup closers to Chapman & Street for a 12-teamer and decided on K-Rod over Jansen based on the minimum two add'l saves Rodriguez was guaranteed due to Roenicke's promise to get him to 300.

Monday's results for Jansen: 1 IP, no R's, H's, or BB's, 1K
More importantly, Monday's results for League: 0.1 IP, 4 R's, 4 H's, 1 BB :shock:

I F****ING HATE MONDAYS!!!

And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse....

Of course, today Jansen gets named closer and Dunn blasts another HR.

I hate Tuesdays also.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Year after year after year. Will I never learn?

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:46 am

LESSONS LEARNED 6/13/13

Yesterday's news: Tulo hurt once again, out 4-6 weeks.
Lesson learned: Stay away from injury prone players no matter how talented. It always bites you in the a$$.

Yesterday's news: Cory Hart's estimated return gets pushed back yet again, still out another 4-6 weeks.
Lesson learned: Never, ever, ever believe a player's own self diagnosis. It always bites you in the a$$.

Yesterday's news: Kevin Gausman demoted to the minors, to return who the hell knows.
Lesson learned: Don't blow all your FAAB on rookie pitchers. It always bites you in the a$$.

In this photo: The fantasy prospects of most of my teams moving forward due to recent MLB news and/or my own recent team management blunders.
Lesson learned: Find a new hobby. Continuing to play ones you're not that good at always bites you in the a$$. :?

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:12 am

Glen,

When you have 75 teams you are bound to be effected to by EVERY injury and demotion!!! :D :D :D

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:43 am

things are looking up - Gausman will be back when Gonzalez's wife goes into Labor.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:40 pm

ALL-IN JD wrote:Glen,

When you have 75 teams you are bound to be effected to by EVERY injury and demotion!!! :D :D :D
Well, actually 14. Though I'll admit on FAAB Sundays it feels like 75. :?

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:01 am

To all I've befriended and compete against in the NFBC, I'd like to wish you each a Happy Father's Day. This is our day. Enjoy your sons and daughters, your fathers and families. And enjoy baseball, always a big part of being both a father and a son.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:12 am

How often does it happen? A closer role opens up towards the end of the week due to injury or ineffectiveness, but by FAAB Sunday all the information to make a clear cut decision on who will be the replacement closer is not available to us. Managers claim the position will be filled by the dreaded committee, there's often more than one option that could potentially fill the role, and of course noone cares that we need these answers by 8pm Sunday. :?

So we take the information that is on hand and we make an educated guess.

Heath Bell/David Hernandez
Junichi Tazawa/Koji Uehara
Vinnie Pestano/Joe Smith/Cody Allen

Obviously some of us end up guessing wrong, while some others guess right. Which side of the ledger do you think I end up on more often than not? :?

This weekend, we were given another of these choices.

Carter Capps or Oliver Perez

Once again, I struck out.

Strike one - I chose Capps.
Strike two - Capps is brought into last night's game in the 6th inning, pretty much an acknowledgement that he's not being saved for the 9th. :?
Strike three - Figuring that I'd better chance striking while the iron is hot since Wilhelmsen's demotion may be a short term one, I put Capps in my lineups including for the Diamond. Last night's ROI: 2/3 inning, 2 hits, 2 walks, 4 ER. :shock:

Well, at least I didn't have to sit long in suspense this time. An added benefit to being wrong once again is that I can now drop Capps if I need a spot for the next closer roller of the dice on Sunday. ;)

I hear ya Carter. I made the same face when I saw your box score this morning.