Chasing the NFBC 2014 - Now a Veteran of Chasing & Blogging

Glenneration X

Re: Chasing the NFBC 2014 - Now a Veteran of Chasing & Blogg

Post by Glenneration X » Sat May 24, 2014 3:34 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:I have Shelby Miller in my Auction league. You think he can turn it around? He has walked more people than a school crossing guard.
I dunno Bud. Sure appears that Miller has a bit of trouble focusing in on the strike zone. :?

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu May 29, 2014 9:11 pm

Fantasy Sports vs. Real Sports - Real Sports Wins!!!

I've been a passionate sports fan for as long as I can remember. I've lived and died with my teams. That's faded a bit over the past few years as fantasy sports and especially high stakes contests started to become more and more what sports were about for me.

In a way, that's a little sad. Though understandable. As in recent years my fantasy teams have brought me more joy than the real life teams I grew up loving. As a Mets, Jets, Knicks, and Rangers fan, there's been more disappointment than great moments these past few years, in fact almost all my years.

Beltran watching strike 3 against Wainwright.
Gastineau's roughing the passer against Kosar.
Ewing's missed layup at the buzzer against the Pacers.
Richter's 200 foot "soft goal" allowed against the Penguins.

I could go on and on. My teams seem to live in perpetual heartbreak.

But I do have 1986 and 1994. I will always have 1986 and 1994. And now, I have a chance at another.

So for now, fantasy sports takes a back seat. Why? Because I haven't had one of my real teams go on to its sports championship round for 14 long, long years, when my Mets lost the 2000 World Series to the evil (and of course steroid tainted) Yankees.

That is until now.

My Rangers are going to the Stanley Cup Finals!!!

The King and his Court. We're going to the Cup!!!

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Fri May 30, 2014 12:32 pm

Lundqvist is playing out of this world... Rangers will be underdogs against either of the other 2 teams, but I see a Ranger Cup in 6 games.... should be a great finals.... Enjoy, I know I will....

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Sat May 31, 2014 8:00 pm

Glenneration X wrote:Fantasy Sports vs. Real Sports - Real Sports Wins!!!

I've been a passionate sports fan for as long as I can remember. I've lived and died with my teams. That's faded a bit over the past few years as fantasy sports and especially high stakes contests started to become more and more what sports were about for me.

In a way, that's a little sad. Though understandable. As in recent years my fantasy teams have brought me more joy than the real life teams I grew up loving. As a Mets, Jets, Knicks, and Rangers fan, there's been more disappointment than great moments these past few years, in fact almost all my years.

Beltran watching strike 3 against Wainwright.
Gastineau's roughing the passer against Kosar.
Ewing's missed layup at the buzzer against the Pacers.
Richter's 200 foot "soft goal" allowed against the Penguins.

I could go on and on. My teams seem to live in perpetual heartbreak.

But I do have 1986 and 1994. I will always have 1986 and 1994. And now, I have a chance at another.

So for now, fantasy sports takes a back seat. Why? Because I haven't had one of my real teams go on to its sports championship round for 14 long, long years, when my Mets lost the 2000 World Series to the evil (and of course steroid tainted) Yankees.

That is until now.

My Rangers are going to the Stanley Cup Finals!!!

The King and his Court. We're going to the Cup!!!
I'm on vacation with the family here in NYC. I'm hearing a lot of Rangers talk on the streets and I'm happy for them.

Of course once the Blackhawks dispatch the Kings tomorrow night and move on to the Stanley Cup Finals it will be a different story for the Rangers.

I think Chicago will run over New York like ................
like....................
can't remember..................
oh yeah, got it now.......................

like when Michael Jordan ran up Ewings back and posterized him for all time .

:lol: :lol: ;)

The good ole days :D :lol:
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:21 am

Navel Lint wrote:I'm on vacation with the family here in NYC. I'm hearing a lot of Rangers talk on the streets and I'm happy for them.

Of course once the Blackhawks dispatch the Kings tomorrow night and move on to the Stanley Cup Finals it will be a different story for the Rangers.

I think Chicago will run over New York like ................
like....................
can't remember..................
oh yeah, got it now.......................

like when Michael Jordan ran up Ewings back and posterized him for all time .

:lol: :lol: ;)

The good ole days :D :lol:
Hey Russ, sorry your Blackhawks couldn't help you relive the "good ole days". :P

Well, at least the Blackhawks now have plenty of time to join your idol playing a sport they have a chance at. ;)

Outlaw wrote:Lundqvist is playing out of this world... Rangers will be underdogs against either of the other 2 teams, but I see a Ranger Cup in 6 games.... should be a great finals.... Enjoy, I know I will....
Mike, I agree. My Rangers will be the dog in this series, but ya never know when you have The King in net.
I do really like your prediction though. :D

Go Rangers!!!

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:12 pm

Big Kings fan here. Just an unbelievable amount of heart displayed in this 21 game playoff stretch. Hopefully they have enough gas left in the tank for one more series.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:00 pm

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:Big Kings fan here. Just an unbelievable amount of heart displayed in this 21 game playoff stretch. Hopefully they have enough gas left in the tank for one more series.
Granted Chad, the Kings have had quite an incredible playoff run thus far. Some might even consider them a team of destiny. If it weren't for the Rangers!

On the 20th anniversary of Messier, Leetch, Richter and the end of the evil 1940 chant. It's just meant to be!!

Come Wednesday, I expect to see this scene quite a bit. ;)

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:13 am

there will be about 2 million people in nyc area watching the finals, about 50,000 in the la area and about 10 from the rest of the country- but we sure will "hear" about it from the 2 media capitals.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:28 pm

The First Step to Recovery is Admitting There's a Problem

Many of us have vices.

Doughy and a bag (ummm or family pack) of Doritos.
Massatto and scantily clad women who work for singles.
Joe Money, a 12-pack and 12-teamers.
I'd mention Gekko's vices, but he'd rather I keep them anonymous.

I might even have a few vices of my own. Anyone in these contests who I've met in NYC or Vegas who've watched me go through a pack and a half of Marlboro's during a 10-minute draft break could attest to that. Image
However cowboy killers aside, for the most part my personal vices have been pretty harmless. For the most part.

One of my most painful addictions involves one of my most enjoyable ones, fantasy sports. For whatever reason, I seem unable to break the hold certain cataclysmic arms have had on my rosters. Year after year over my time playing this hobby, the Tim Lincecums, the Scott Bakers, the Brandon Morrows, the Josh Johnsons, etc. have found their way onto my fantasy staffs. Year after year, they disappoint and leave carnage in their wake.

The worst of these WHIP and ERA killers and the one with the greatest hold on my fantasy psyche is none other than the evil Erik Bedard. I'm not sure when my addiction to this spawn of Satan first occurred. Probably back during his one good season around 3000 years ago where he likely helped me to a good finish in my local league. It always starts so innocently. But like a heroin addict forever chasing that first high, I've chased those one time results from Bedard throughout my fantasy sports career, with the same detrimental results as that poor heroin addict. :cry:

Still, I thought I had finally kicked the Bedard habit. I drafted him nowhere this year. He was on NONE of my rosters. The monkey was finally off my back!!! :D

Ummmm, well... until last week.

Ya see, even though I had kept Bedard at bay, I couldn't help but watch from afar. I watched him grab a spot in the Tampa rotation. Yet I stayed strong. I watched him pitch well. Yet I resisted. Then it happened. Bedard coming off 5 straight great starts had a 2-start week on the horizon. My resolve broke. The monkey was back.

I picked him up everywhere. To show the depth of my addiction, I even picked him up for my at the time rising Diamond squad, at the expense of another hot 2-start pitcher, Chris Young.

Well the results were predictable.....

Chris Young - 2 starts, 12.1 innings, 10 baserunners, 3 earned runs, 11 K's, and 2 wins. :?
Erik Bedard - 2 starts, 8.2 innings, 22 baserunners, 11 earned runs, 6 K's, and 2 losses. :shock:

Addiction's a bitch.

No that isn't the fish you're smelling. Erik Bedard STINKS!!!

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:12 pm

And after I drop this POS everywhere, he throws a gem in his very next game.
I truly HATE Bedard.

But still, I do have some FAAB left. Hmmm.... :P

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:31 am

Ceboidea Bedardus on the back...And I am not sure there is a cure.... :lol: ;)
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:25 pm

The new Bedard in my life might just be Tony Cingrani. Two years as a fantasy baseball option, two years rostered across my fantasy squads. Both years, the same results. A waste of assets.

Last year, Cingrani cost me boatloads of FAAB. This year, the early round draft spots used for my #2 or 3 starting pitchers. Well, at least it wasn't for any important teams this season. Just a pair of Mains, the Diamond, and the #%$*&% Platinum!!! Jeez, I hate this game sometimes. :?

As we all know, with Latos' return on the horizon, Cingrani's mediocre performances to date put him in a mid-season battle for his spot in the Reds' rotation against Alfredo Simon. Seriously? Alfredo Simon? Cingrani's pedigree and talent shoulda made this a no-brainer. However, with his job on the line, he just started pitching worse and worse.

With one last chance tonight to prove that he deserves to hold his starting role, he instead put the final nail in the coffin of his place in the rotation (and likely my place in the standings :cry: ).
4.2 innings, 10 base runners, 6 earned runs, 2 HR's allowed. :shock: Now that's what I call a pressure player. :roll:
In other words, Cingrani sucks. Thanks for the going away present Tony.

Maybe if Cingrani did a bit less of this, he'd still be a starter tomorrow.

Well, the one bright side is once I drop Cingrani en masse Sunday, I'll have roster spots open for Bedard. :mrgreen:

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:49 pm

"My Kind of Town"

I managed to win Jon Singleton in last Sunday's FAAB for a couple of my leagues including one 15 teamer. The price I paid in the 15 teamer was $190. I lost him for another 15 teamer at that same $190 price point where I tied with the winning bid. I unfortunately lost him for yet another league where I had a real CI need even though I bid $249.

These are certainly significant prices to pay for one pickup in a very long season, especially one that comes with no track record and potential downside. However I feel the high prices paid for Singleton were justified considering the paucity of high upside CI power that could be expected to surface on the free agent wires during the course of the season. Obviously there are many that feel the same as the average Main Event winning bid was over $291 and one bid even reached the rarified air of $455. In fact, each and every winning Main Event bid on Singleton easily surpassed the triple digit threshold. That is except one.

In Chicago, as Mr. Edwards so observantly pointed out, the winning bid for Singleton was $50. $50??? Not one of the 15 Second City players in that league thought a power hitting 1B warranted even a $51 investment?? Even coming off a 2 home run first week? :? Ummm David Peralta went for more FAAB this week in that town. :shock:

Nothing against the Windy City, but I suddenly understand why Gekko used to publicly long to draft there and why Sack Magner actually booked flights to do so. :P ;)

Singleton enjoying a laugh after finding out what he went for in Chicago 2.

Greg, I'll miss NYC and Vegas, but please make me the first signup for Chicago 2015. ;)

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:41 pm

It's Been a Great Month to be a Sports Fan

My New York Rangers were eliminated in the Stanley Cup finals last night by the LA Kings. The Kings are a great team, winning their 2nd Cup over the past three seasons. Still, it was right there for my Blueshirts. Three of the four games the Rangers lost went into overtime. In all three the Rangers had leads going into the 3rd period. Still, even though my Rangers were on the short end, it was a great series that captivated my attention throughout. In fact, the entire Rangers run to the Cup finals was exhilarating.

I haven't paid as much attention to hockey over the past few years. It's a little surprising considering it was probably my favorite sport growing up. The Rangers-Islanders and then Rangers-Devils rivalries were at the heart of my sports consciousness. Yet I know why hockey has taken somewhat of a backseat in my sports attentions. I don't play fantasy hockey. There are no high stakes fantasy hockey contests.

The same could be said for a lot of sports. I was a complete sports nut growing up. I played and watched everything I could. There was no sport I didn't love. However over the past few years, as my high stakes fantasy sports passion and involvement grew, my love for those sports and events that weren't involved in fantasy dissipated, or in some cases disappeared.

Over the past few years, come May, June, I've been typically knee deep in paying attention to my competitive high stakes fantasy baseball teams. I've usually had a few in contention for something, and just about every moment I could spare for sports was spent watching or studying or analyzing baseball to help them compete. This year, I don't really have that problem. All my fantasy teams suck. :(

As much as that fact blows, it did come with an unintended benefit. With my fantasy teams barely clinging to relevance and my Mets in the same boat, my appetite for sports went looking in other directions to quench its thirst. And my appetite found quite a bit. I had forgotten how much goes on in the sports world this time of year. Besides my Rangers run to the Cup, over the past month I got to enjoy:

- The NBA Finals - Great to see good prevailing over evil as the venerable Tim Duncan takes out LeBron and the evil Heat.
- The NFL Draft - Which leads into my Dynasty rookie drafts. Gotta have at least some fantasy sports in this new consciousness. :mrgreen:
- Kentucky Derby, Preakness, Belmont - I may not cash in fantasy baseball this year, but I did hit the exacta in the Derby for a nice payday. ;)
- Indy 500 - Averaging nearly 200mph and the top two finishers separated by .06 seconds, like a Billy Hamilton-Dee Gordon 40 yard dash. :shock:
- The World Cup - Since Pele and the Cosmos went bye-bye, America pays attention to soccer exactly once every 4 years. This is that time.
- The US Open - Even without Tiger, it's always a cool event to watch. Golf always looks so easy on TV, impossible when you're playing it. :?
- The French Open - Not too much to say about tennis.... except, I prefer the ladies event!!

Can we start a FANTASY tennis league please? 8-)

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:58 am

Glenn,

Did you see that Bedard has two starts this week?

:D :lol:
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:Glenn,

Did you see that Bedard has two starts this week?

:D :lol:
I did see that my friend and have my old stalwart in the starting lineup with that 2-step for a couple of my squads this week, including the Diamond. :o

Still as bad as that sounds, I did show restraint and refused to go ALL IN on Bedard yet again. See, what progress can be made through years of therapy. :D

So for the most part, I went in a different direction this time. For instead of Bedard, I picked up and started Tyler Matzuk everywhere. :shock: That worked out well. :(

Sigh. I hate this game. When does football start?? Or at least Wimbledon? :D

Who cares about choosing between Bedard and Matsuk when a sports rivalry this interesting is going on?

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Fresh off Tony Cingrani, drafted as the number 2 starter for several of my most important teams, spiraling into the abyss before being banished to the Cincy bullpen and then the minors, the last thing I could afford for those teams was to lose yet another valuable starter.

So of course today, a certain young St. Louis pitcher, drafted as the number 1 starter for two of those Cingrani squads (not that those teams are that important to me, just the Platinum and a Main :( ), goes down with a bum shoulder.

Ahhh well. I hate this game. All I've got to say is......

WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! - cha

Well at least the good news is that shoulder injuries aren't typically that big a deal for a pitcher. :?

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:21 pm

So Close Yet So Far

Many of us have given the Win An NFBC Main Event Contest over at Fanduel a try on a Friday night or two.
On occasion, I play some of Fanduel's other tournaments as well. Tonight was one of those occasions.

Tonight I bought a $200 entry into their DFBC Qualifier.

Beat the 243 other entrants in the Qualifier and win one of only 70 seats to their DFBC Final in Vegas come August. Beat the other 69 people in that Final (including our own KOQ who already has 3 of the 40+ seats that have been won so far) and leave Vegas with a cool million bucks.

Unfortunately, I fell short. 1/2 point short. 64.58 - 64.08.

It came down to the last inning of the last game of the night that could impact the final score of the contest.

The player in front of me had no hitters left. I had both Logan Morrison on base and Mike Zunino at the plate with one out.

Morrison scores a run, I win.
Zunino gets a hit, I win.
Zunino gets a walk, I win.

But instead, I got one of these......

I probably shouldn't complain. I did win a couple dollars in the contest for coming in 2nd. Ahhh, but so close.
Maybe another night, maybe another try.

Well, good night. I have a feeling I might be up for a while.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:57 am

Where Closers Go to Die

Nate Jones
Matt Lindstrom
Ronald Bellisario

Q: What do the players listed above have in common?

A: The answer's kinda obvious. They've all served time as the assumed 9th inning anchor for the South Side Sox.

Q: What else do these pitchers have in common?

A: Also kinda obvious. They've all served time creating closer carnage across the 2014 Glenneration X rosters. :(

First I leave a handful of draft rooms with Nate Jones as a sneaky good closer coming at great "value" (sorry Doughy) for 5 of my teams. Obviously he was a little too sneaky good of a pick as he lost his assumed closer role on Opening Day and has yet to throw even one pitch yet this season. :?

Then I miss out on K-Rod's return to greatness everywhere and settle for Matt Lindstrom for 6 of my teams during the insane closer fire sale held that first regular season FAAB back in April. After several weeks of the occasional save mixed in amongst blown saves and WHIP & ERA damage, Lindstrom mercifully ended my pain with his own painful ankle injury.

Or at least I thought the pain was over. :?

For I then picked up his replacement, the epitome of throwing gasoline on a fire, the infamous and awful Belissario for an unfortunate 7 of my now ruined teams. Like Ventura, I stuck with him too long. Thankfully, a pair of ridiculous blown saves over the past week finally caused Ventura to come to his senses, allowing me to finally stop the WHIP & ERA bleeding for these 7 teams by dropping his lame ass.
Three stinkin' outs!!! You'd think he'd be able to do that at least one time cleanly!!!

Finally, I would be rid of White Sox closers from my roster forever!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Alas, it was not meant to be. :(

For I bid on and won one of Belissario's potential replacements, Jake Petricka, for a ridiculous 9 of my teams.
What the hell happened to 8?

Ahhh well. Maybe I'll get lucky and Putnam or Guerra will win the job. :D

Where for art thou Bobby Thigpen?

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:59 pm

No apology necessary, Glenn. :D
In fact, if anything, you illustrated why the word 'value' should not be used in that way.....and never in the same sentence as Nate Jones!
It is still the most misused word in fantasy.

For what it is worth, I like Petricka and decided that Ventura would give him the nod through pure stuff than giving the job to Guerra because of experience.
Time will tell.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:57 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:No apology necessary, Glenn. :D
In fact, if anything, you illustrated why the word 'value' should not be used in that way.....and never in the same sentence as Nate Jones!
It is still the most misused word in fantasy.

For what it is worth, I like Petricka and decided that Ventura would give him the nod through pure stuff than giving the job to Guerra because of experience.
Time will tell.
I hear ya Bud on value and I hope you're right on Ventura's nod. Though last night's 2 inning pre-9th outing could be a shaky sign. We'll see.

Outside of that, I hope all is good and that you're enjoying your new gig. Your daily presence is surely missed around these parts.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:34 pm

And Pixels go Boom!!!

Well, with the crazy weather on the east coast today creating havoc on everyone's holiday beach, picnic, and BBQ plans, we can only hope that it clears up in time for tonight's fireworks displays.

Fear not however. For even if Grucci allows the inclement conditions to cancel their shows, there is one fireworks display that will surely go on. Not rain, nor sleet, nor a hurricane of epic proportions could keep me from my appointed duty tonight as I tape my laptop to a pair of rockets and send it skyward to its explosive glory. :D

Mind you, I do this only to help celebrate our nation's birth and it has nothing at all to do with my horrible fantasy teams (well, that's my story and sticking with it. :? )

Ahhhh, now that's what I call a birthday candle. ;)

HAPPY 4TH EVERYONE!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:10 am

Pssssst! Eric Bedard has been moved to the bullpen...Closer option? Hmmmmm...... 8-)
Charles Krauthammer

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:50 pm

A Salute to Mr. Jeter

I didn't get to watch the entire All-Star game yesterday as I had movie plans with my father, son, nieces and nephews last night. However before leaving for the theater, I did manage to catch the player introductions.

I knew it was Derek Jeter's night and made sure that my son watched as Jeter was introduced and received his well deserved ovation. I explained to Joseph, all of 6 years old and already a die-hard Mets fan, that Jeter is one of the greatest players in the game and that this would be his last All-Star Game as he was retiring this year.

He had a couple questions obviously. My answers....

"No, of course he isn't better than David Wright, I said he was "one" of the best players in the game, not the best." :?

"No, David Wright isn't here. I think he's hurt." :?

"I don't know why Jeter doesn't want to play anymore. Yes, I know you never want to stop playing." :mrgreen:

Still, beyond the questions borne of naiveté, I'm glad we got to share that moment. I'm glad we got to see "one" of the best players in the game go out the right way in his last All-Star game.

It seems Derek Jeter has always done things the right way. Over the last few years, we've seen more than a few athletes who once seemed to be able to do no wrong, do wrong, and tarnish their once Jeter-like aura.

Tiger, Lance Armstrong, LeBron, we can go on. They all once were perceived as golden, but through missteps or miscalculations, their perceived greatness was reduced to only what was seen on the playing field, and no longer what was seen off it.

Not Jeter. He became the example that all other athletes wanted to emulate, that all respected whether playing the game or not, that all fathers pointed to their sons on what true greatness is. Even as a Mets fan, I admire and respect Derek Jeter.

Jeter seemed to achieve nothing but greatness, both on the field.....

....and off it. :shock:
Yes, I'm a fan.

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:25 pm

Glenneration X wrote:A Salute to Mr. Jeter

I didn't get to watch the entire All-Star game yesterday as I had movie plans with my father, son, nieces and nephews last night. However before leaving for the theater, I did manage to catch the player introductions.
You went to the movies, or you took some home movies......

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/42143432/v ... star%2Bred

Looks like Bernie Brewer was firing some high tight fastballs at your head :shock:
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson