The Roids Factor

Rey

The Roids Factor

Post by Rey » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:52 am

I think one of the more interesting subplots to this season, and more importantly, to this fantasy season, will be the effect that the steroids controversy will end up having on player performance. The fact that several notable players have been reporting to camp much thinner than in years past plants a seed in my head. Though it may well be a mistake, I catch myself looking at many "ripped" players and making a mental note that there is a chance their performance this year could drop a bit. Call it the "Brady Anderson" effect, if you may.

All it is is one added uncertainty, but it's an uncertainty that has the potential to skew past performance. It will be interesting to see how guy's handle such an uncertainty.

baseballweenie

The Roids Factor

Post by baseballweenie » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:32 am

It's having similar effects on my way of thinking (and preparing), Rey. And, it's become very much a sub-conscious thing.

It's like the age factor. But, because it's much more "unknown" -- both the users and the after-effects -- it's a bit worrisome to know that your otherwise healthy #1 or #2 pick might break in half, or melt, at any time.

This is not to pass judgement on any player, or even to say that anybody is or was using steroids. I've got my own faults. I'm just saying it's another "thing" to think about.

seefer

The Roids Factor

Post by seefer » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:39 am

I too would like to throw my hat in this "ring of thought". Not only are numerous stars appearing in camp much leaner and lighter, but it is affecting the medium ranks as well. More and more everyday players are coming to camp lighter.

The first time it really struck me was last year with Sammy. He had basically "shrunk" and his body looked like that of another person. Not to mention he had lost his "moon face" that is so common with steroid users.

I like to read rotowire for info. and I must say, this is the first time in a long long time that more guys are reporting to camp lighter than "having added 15 pounds of muscle". I wonder how it will affect ALL players. Not just hitters, but pitchers as well. :confused:

Gordon Gekko

The Roids Factor

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:06 am

Paul Lo Duca showed up to camp 30 pounds heavier than he was at the end of last year. What does that tell you?

LB Big Richards

The Roids Factor

Post by LB Big Richards » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:05 pm

He's fat!

Gordon Gekko

The Roids Factor

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:06 pm

Originally posted by LB Big Richards:

He's fat! That's one way of looking at it.