Private keeper league for NFBC participants

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:33 pm

The Cannonball Run I

World Series Keeper League

League is tentatively full. Email if interested as a contingency owner.

The NL auction will take place online Sunday, March 26 at 9am pacific time. The AL draft will take place Thursday, March 30 at 6pm pacific time.

Quick details:

1. Open to NFBC entrants, run as a private lge, not affiliated with the NFBC.

2. Separate 12-team AL and NL keeper leagues. This will create two distinct, very deep leagues (equivalent to a 24-team mixed league).

3. Each owner will own one team in each league created from an AL serpentine draft and an NL auction, testing owner skill in both formats.

4. The best combined AL/NL franchise wins the World Series

5. 5x5 rotisserie lge, 23-man lineup, 30-player roster, 800 IP minimum

6. No-trading, no collusion of any kind, no one may have ownership in more than 1 combined franchise

7. Anti-dumping – players dropped after the MLB trade deadline that were acquired for $5 or more, or drafted by the 15th round, will be removed from that season’s player pool

8. FAAB budget for free agent and draft slot bidding

9. Franchise may be sold at any time during the off-season to a new owner, but the combined AL/NL franchise stays permanently intact

10. Many basic rules not otherwise outlined are comparable to nfbc auction lge rules

Keeper Rules

1. 8-player maximum, no minimum (8 AL & 8 NL)

2. Players may be kept for a maximum of 3 years, no extensions

3. For the AL draft league, any keeper that was drafted will take the place of that team's draft pick for the same round. Any keeper that was a free agent will take the place of that team's 11th round draft pick, or highest available pick after the 11th round.

4. For the NL auction league, any keeper that was purchased in the auction will retain his auction value; any keeper that was a free agent pickup will have a $10 value.

5. MLB players traded to the other league would accumulate stats for the league in which they were drafted for the current year only, then change to their new league the following year while remaining with the same franchise. In such a case, equivalent value for auction vs draft lges would determine the keeper value of a player changing leagues.

100% payout less est. expenses of $17 per franchise

1. Entry fee = $1,250 per franchise

2. World Series Winner = $6,250

3. AL Pennant Winner = $2,500

4. NL Pennant Winner = $2,500

5. World Series runner-up = $1,250

6. AL Runner-up = $1,250

7. NL Runner-up = $1,250

Signup List

1. KJ Duke

2. Rob Dykhoff (Dak)

3. Scott Silberfein (-)

4. Josh Turin (-)

5. Chris Fargis (-)

6. Shawn Childs (CC's Desperados)

7. Perry Van Hook (Capt Hook)

8. Greg Morgan (-)

9. David Longood (-)

10 Jason Root (JAR)

11 Chi-Lin Chang

12 Ty Parsons

If interested, please send email to: [email protected]

[ June 09, 2006, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Cellar Dwellers

Post by Cellar Dwellers » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:01 pm

Gotta say I love the concept you've come up with. Unfortunately I've been involved in too many local leagues for too many years that I just couldn't take on doing another league. Good luck with it though, sounds like you've got a winner.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:26 am

Good concept (I would hope you cleared the posting of it with Tom/Greg)

sec 4a - keeper in Auction league - they should all be $10 (ie., the price of the FAAB bid should not have anything to do with the retention price)

I was very interested until I saw that you are only using certain ML teams.

Good Luck

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:13 am

Originally posted by Captain Hook:

Good concept (I would hope you cleared the posting of it with Tom/Greg)

sec 4a - keeper in Auction league - they should all be $10 (ie., the price of the FAAB bid should not have anything to do with the retention price)

I was very interested until I saw that you are only using certain ML teams.

Good Luck I didnt clear it - didnt think they'd mind since its not a commercial venture. Greg, email if you'd like it removed, I could try to email everyone instead but this was a lot easier.

Capt Hook - Player pool will be all AL players and all NL players for their respective lges. ((The MLB team names are NAMES only, since every franchise will have 1 NL and 1 AL team, I thought it would be easier to have team names that correspond to the appropriate leagues, and to tie a franchise's AL/NL teams together by city name)).

Although I didnt state it above, I'd want to keep most of the basic rules and deadlines similar to the NFBC auctions since everyone is familiar with them.

[ December 27, 2005, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:25 pm

KJ

1) you didn't address the FA retention price

2) why are you limiting this to 12? I would rather do 14 or 16.

3) As far as naming the teams, I would rather use Gekko-AL and Gekko-NL, or cities/areas that have two teams like Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Texas, Florida, DC (Balt/Was), No Cal (SF, Oakland), Ohio (Cin/Cle)etc. than have someone confused by the nicknames of existing franchises.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:34 pm

KJ

1) you didn't address the FA retention price

---- good suggestions, see rule revisions

2) why are you limiting this to 12? I would rather do 14 or 16. --- The NFBC auctions are 13 tms in the NL and 12 in the AL, the player pool would get very thin with more teams. 12 franchises is the equivalent of a 24-team mixed league.

3) As far as naming the teams, I would rather use Gekko-AL and Gekko-NL, or cities/areas that have two teams like Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Texas, Florida, DC (Balt/Was), No Cal (SF, Oakland), Ohio (Cin/Cle)etc. than have someone confused by the nicknames of existing franchises. ---- Team naming isn't central to the concept, I would go with what the majority wants on this so long as there is some consistency across lges so we could easily pair up the tms for the overall comparison. I thought it would be interesting to have the standing look like real baseball standings (real tm names) than a bunch of crazy names, but like I said a minor point to the concept I'd change.

[ December 29, 2005, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:30 am

UPDATE

Great response so far, thx guys. In less than 48 hrs I've heard from 15 people for a 12-owner league! The signup list is now listed in post #1.

For anyone keeping an eye on this thread, I'd say the league will be a definite go and shouldn't take too long to fill out, so let me know sooner rather than later if you'd like to be involved.

[ December 29, 2005, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:04 pm

Please note, a few rules modifications above relating to auction keeper prices per the Captain's suggestions. (Rules are still a work in progress).

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:03 pm

[ December 29, 2005, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:37 am

Okay, next up for the ad hoc Rules Committe is -

minor leaguers.

As this is a keeper league, we have to deal with these players differently than the NFBC leagues do. Here are my suggestions:

1)After the AL/NL draft/auction, each league will have a three round serpentine minor league draft (order to be inverse of draft order or nominating order)

2)Players chosen must be signed minor leaguers of teams within either the AL/NL.

3)Once activated these players would have a $5 contract

4)If an owned minor league player is activated prior to August 1, he must be activated if he stays with his ML team for 30 days. If he is sent back down before his 30 days and has not been activated by his Cannonball team he remains a minor leaguer(and the process would start again if called back up)

5)If an owned minor leaguer is activated after August 1, his Cannonball team may activate him or keep him in the minors (once activated a player may never be put back in the minors)

6)Each following season franchises may draft three new minor leaguers, but may never have more than five players on their minor league squad.

7)Any non owned minor leaguer called up during the year would be acquired by FAAB in the two leagues with normal corresponding prices and slots.

If anyone sees anything I have left out, please post or email. BTW as a keeper league and having minor league players, the DRAFTS must be conducted after Opening day (so that major league and minor league status is clearly determined). As our committed list grows, we should be keeping an eye on mutually available draft dates.

PVH

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:22 am

Ok, Perry.... What happens with a player as in Felix Hernandez from last year? We drafted him for a $1. We then put him in the reserve squad.

Are you against raising the inning minimun? I'm be more interested if the total was at least over 800 innings. Thanks Shawn

JAR

Post by JAR » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:25 am

I'd be very interesting depending on the locations/dates/methods of auction and draft. I live in MN and will probably be out in Vegas 2-3 days for the NFBC draft in March.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:32 am

Okay, next up for the ad hoc Rules Committe is -

minor leaguers.

As this is a keeper league, we have to deal with these players differently than the NFBC leagues do. Here are my suggestions:

1)After the AL/NL draft/auction, each league will have a three round serpentine minor league draft (order to be inverse of draft order or nominating order)

2)Players chosen must be signed minor leaguers of teams within either the AL/NL.

3)Once activated these players would have a $5 contract

4)If an owned minor league player is activated prior to August 1, he must be activated if he stays with his ML team for 30 days. If he is sent back down before his 30 days and has not been activated by his Cannonball team he remains a minor leaguer(and the process would start again if called back up)

5)If an owned minor leaguer is activated after August 1, his Cannonball team may activate him or keep him in the minors (once activated a player may never be put back in the minors)

6)Each following season franchises may draft three new minor leaguers, but may never have more than five players on their minor league squad.

7)Any non owned minor leaguer called up during the year would be acquired by FAAB in the two leagues with normal corresponding prices and slots.

If anyone sees anything I have left out, please post or email. BTW as a keeper league and having minor league players, the DRAFTS must be conducted after Opening day (so that major league and minor league status is clearly determined). As our committed list grows, we should be keeping an eye on mutually available draft dates.

PVH Perry, I see no reason to delay the draft date for ML'ers. There are various ways to determine eligibility as of a cutoff date. Any minor lg'er taken in the regular draft would immediately lose his minor lge keeper status, as would any player that accumulates stats on a team's active roster.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:39 am

Originally posted by JAR:

I'd be very interesting depending on the locations/dates/methods of auction and draft. I live in MN and will probably be out in Vegas 2-3 days for the NFBC draft in March. Jar - My best guess right now is that the draft will be online, and the auction would be either online (via IM) or in Vegas with a few people online that can't be their live (with a moderator shouting out online bids and typing in live bids).

We haven't discussed dates yet, but would try to accomodate everyone once we get close to 12 players.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:41 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

Ok, Perry.... What happens with a player as in Felix Hernandez from last year? We drafted him for a $1. We then put him in the reserve squad.

Are you against raising the inning minimun? I'm be more interested if the total was at least over 800 innings. Thanks Shawn Good question; which makes for a better league, 400 IP or 800 IP?

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:43 am

Kevin, didn't Greg use some on-line auction program last year for something? I would think it would be better to see everyone on the same playing field.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:53 am

Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

Kevin, didn't Greg use some on-line auction program last year for something? I would think it would be better to see everyone on the same playing field. Yes he did, it doesnt work very well. I've done several IM-based auctions which are very smooth. Everyone needs to track for themselves who has been taken, but the draft can be halted at anytime without consequence. Every automated system I've used has had problems which ended up with a lot of people being very unhappy, something I'd want to avoid.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:03 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

quote:Originally posted by CC's Desperados:

Are you against raising the inning minimun? I'm be more interested if the total was at least over 800 innings. Thanks Shawn Good question; which makes for a better league, 400 IP or 800 IP?
[/QUOTE]#1 - CC (good to see you here man)- IF we are really running this as a keeper league, then we should [don't have to, but better]have a differentiation between ML and ml players. In a true keeper league, you could not draft a minor league Felix Hernandez (or anyone else) in the main draft - they would only be eligible in the minor league draft or when they come up.

If we are not going to have a minor league draft and keep them separate as KJ seems to suggest, then they are just like any other player in salary and contract status (and one called up during the year would be a normal free agent and have a $10 salary or #11 or later draft slot)

#2 - KJ - personally I am not a fan of innings requirements (especially in keeper leagues). The 5X5 structure weights the SP dramatically and forces someone with an all reliever strategy to blow off two categories. However for consistency with other NFBC rules, I would think we should stick with 400 and let teams do what they want to do.

JAR

Post by JAR » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:23 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

My best guess right now is that the draft will be online, and the auction would be either online (via IM) or in Vegas with a few people online that can't be their live (with a moderator shouting out online bids and typing in live bids).

We haven't discussed dates yet, but would try to accomodate everyone once we get close to 12 players. Yuck. I love auctions, but I don't think I'd want to do it unless all 12 in the league were either online or in the same room.

Why not just do both NL & AL using a serpentine draft. Either that, or have the auction using AIM or YAHOO IM over 2-3 different sessions.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:36 am

I can get us a private chat room (used by the XFL)as long as there is not a conflict in dates.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:41 am

Originally posted by JAR:

quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:

My best guess right now is that the draft will be online, and the auction would be either online (via IM) or in Vegas with a few people online that can't be their live (with a moderator shouting out online bids and typing in live bids).

We haven't discussed dates yet, but would try to accomodate everyone once we get close to 12 players. Yuck. I love auctions, but I don't think I'd want to do it unless all 12 in the league were either online or in the same room.

Why not just do both NL & AL using a serpentine draft. Either that, or have the auction using AIM or YAHOO IM over 2-3 different sessions.
[/QUOTE]JAR,

I wouldnt want to not have the option in future years to have "live" auctions, those are much more fun. But for this year doing both the auction and draft online might be the best way to get things off the ground since most have probably already booked their plans and filled out their schedule for Vegas.

This year, maybe we just shoot for a "live" Cannonball poker tournament so we can meet and have a few drinks.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:47 am

[ December 31, 2005, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:10 pm

[ January 03, 2006, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:58 am

[ January 03, 2006, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

Kimo

Post by Kimo » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:31 pm

Hey Kevin,

Jim Ferrari here. I want in. Let me know the details.

[email protected]
Jim Ferrari