Opinions welcomed

Top Dawg

Opinions welcomed

Post by Top Dawg » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:44 am

I know I am hurting for speed and have taked a few of the injured... But, I would like some thoughtful words of wisdom:

C: Posada, Miller

1: Pujols

2: Durham

SS: Berrora

MI: Jose Vidro

3: Aramas Ramirez

CI: Morneau

OF: Damon, Edmonds, Floyd, Kearns, Feliz

UT: Juan Rivera

Bench offense: Tony Batista, S. Stewart, Counsell, Closser, Bernie Williams

SP: Pedro, Sheets, Smoltz, Wood, Maddux

Relief: Gordon, Todd Jones, Reitsma, Hermanson, Scott Williamson, Looper

Most of my starters are injury prone to say the least. I went for closers late and took guys who might fill in as closers rather than take a starter with a high ERA/WHIP. I figured there are always starters in the waiver pool.

Thanks for your comments,

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Chest Rockwell

Opinions welcomed

Post by Chest Rockwell » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:04 am

Originally posted by Top Dawg:

I know I am hurting for speed and have taked a few of the injured... But, I would like some thoughtful words of wisdom:

C: Posada, Miller

1: Pujols

2: Durham

SS: Berrora

MI: Jose Vidro

3: Aramas Ramirez

CI: Morneau

OF: Damon, Edmonds, Floyd, Kearns, Feliz

UT: Juan Rivera

Bench offense: Tony Batista, S. Stewart, Counsell, Closser, Bernie Williams

SP: Pedro, Sheets, Smoltz, Wood, Maddux

Relief: Gordon, Todd Jones, Reitsma, Hermanson, Scott Williamson, Looper

Most of my starters are injury prone to say the least. I went for closers late and took guys who might fill in as closers rather than take a starter with a high ERA/WHIP. I figured there are always starters in the waiver pool.

Thanks for your comments,

Pete IMO another great example of some pretty good picks that will add up to mediocre team. Too much injury risk in the starting pitching too- I also see a lot of "names" on here that may be a bit past their prime.

I liked a lot of the picks but how it translates to points will be what hurts you.

Joe Sambito

Opinions welcomed

Post by Joe Sambito » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:25 am

I agree with Chest. 3 years ago get ready for your yoohoo shower.

Chest, A couple times know you make the point of good picks but mediocre team construction. Have you taken a stab at Buster's challenge? If not, take a crack at it. I am curious how it shakes out...
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

Chest Rockwell

Opinions welcomed

Post by Chest Rockwell » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:34 am

Originally posted by Joe Sambito:

I agree with Chest. 3 years ago get ready for your yoohoo shower.

Chest, A couple times know you make the point of good picks but mediocre team construction. Have you taken a stab at Buster's challenge? If not, take a crack at it. I am curious how it shakes out... Hey Chris

2 things- 1) I agree with Gordon that buster's thing does not prove a lot so no thanks on that one- the point being you already know the stats anyone with a calculator can do it. 2) I have been critical of a lot of roster construction- but I also would be critical of my own roster construction during the 2 magazine drafts. I think it is an extremely good idea to do a satellite league to get one under your belt. I fully realize every draft is different but you still face the same type decisions in every draft- it is just the round you face it and the category you face it in changes.

I am really surprised our fellow LV 5 guy Ken Gray is not back in the main event. He knew his stuff.

ALL-IN JD

Opinions welcomed

Post by ALL-IN JD » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:38 am

Ill be so bold as to throw my team up on the board. I picked out of the 14 hole, which I didnt mind at all:

C Torrealba

C Mathis

1B Giambi

2B Utley

SS Reyes

3B Rolen

MI Weeks

CI Glaus

OF Sheffield

OF Tori Hunter

OF Kearns

OF Jose Guillen

OF Granderson

UT Aguila

P Haren

P Kazmir

P Blanton

P Cain

P Wang

P Fossum

P Todd Jones

P C. Ray

P Farnsworth

R Delmon Young

R Hidalgo

R Shealy

R Verlander

R Devine

R Scott Olsen

R Astacio

Joe Sambito

Opinions welcomed

Post by Joe Sambito » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:58 am

Chest,

Funny you mention Ken Gray, I scanned the list early today for his name.

I realize the Buster challenge doesn't mean alot b/c you know the stats, and knowing is half (closer to 95%) the battle, but everyone has the stats, I am just curious if a balance team or more of a contrarian team would place first. Believe me I didn't have the calculator and Charlie Epps algorithm out, I just shot from the hip, but as I was doing it, I wound up with alot less "names" than I would have expected.
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

Edwards Kings

Opinions welcomed

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:28 am

Top Dawg,

With the recognition that you must have been willing to accept a great deal of injury risk, I like your team. No problem with talent, only reliability. You have a few with 10-20 SB, but I am not sure it is enough to bring you out of the basement in that category.

I wonder too if your five starters are enough to get you up to the bar for wins and k's. As you said you plan on using FAAB to pick up additional starts based on match-up or to get a back up if you have any injuries (probable) to one of the big five.

Anyway, I like the talent...hope the injury bug doesn't bite you and hope a strong wind is always blowing from first to second.... :D
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Opinions welcomed

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:40 am

Fireballs,

I can't quite figure out if I like or dislike your team. Good speed. Could have good power if Rolen is healthy, Giambi continues to hit like last year rather than 2004, and Guillen bounces back a bit. You may have some serious challenges in BA. The two closers are second tier. Some of the SP behing Haren have upside that they have to live up to (I like Kazmir).

Gut feel (for whatever that is worth) is that this is a middle of the pack team, but what do I know. May I ask if you went Utley/Reyes/Sheffield/Rolen for picks one to four?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

ALL-IN JD

Opinions welcomed

Post by ALL-IN JD » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:45 am

The team has huge upside but huge injury risk, in my humble opinion, but no guts no glory. Believe it or not I "reached" for Weeks in the 4th and took Rolen in the 5th. My goal was to get the best MI possible and go from there. No doubt I have 2nd tier closers but they could get me 30 saves apiece(no guarentees). I think the power upside is definitely there with Giambi, Glaus, Rolen and Sheffield. Injuries(or lack there of) shoul be the keys to success.

Jeff

Gordon Gekko

Opinions welcomed

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:48 am

2 out of 10 stars. :(

TheKing

Opinions welcomed

Post by TheKing » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:07 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

2 out of 10 stars. :( Makes me feel honored for the four stars you gave my squad. Which, by the way, should be upgraded to six.
"When your strategy is deep and far reaching, what you gain by your calculations can allow you to win before you fight."

Top Dawg

Opinions welcomed

Post by Top Dawg » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:34 am

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

Top Dawg,

With the recognition that you must have been willing to accept a great deal of injury risk, I like your team. No problem with talent, only reliability. You have a few with 10-20 SB, but I am not sure it is enough to bring you out of the basement in that category.

I wonder too if your five starters are enough to get you up to the bar for wins and k's. As you said you plan on using FAAB to pick up additional starts based on match-up or to get a back up if you have any injuries (probable) to one of the big five.

Anyway, I like the talent...hope the injury bug doesn't bite you and hope a strong wind is always blowing from first to second.... :D Edwards King:

Thanks for the thoughts. I actually put together a spreadsheet of "projections" and there is no doubt I will need to move a 6th starter into the lineup to pick up valuable K's and W's. ERA and WHIP are solid.

Speed is still an issue. My guys project out to enough to obtain 1-3 points; closer to the 1. The intention was not to punt sb's, the draft just went in that direction.

Pete

Edwards Kings

Opinions welcomed

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:42 am

Originally posted by fireballs:

The team has huge upside but huge injury risk, in my humble opinion, but no guts no glory. Believe it or not I "reached" for Weeks in the 4th and took Rolen in the 5th. My goal was to get the best MI possible and go from there. No doubt I have 2nd tier closers but they could get me 30 saves apiece(no guarentees). I think the power upside is definitely there with Giambi, Glaus, Rolen and Sheffield. Injuries(or lack there of) shoul be the keys to success.

Jeff Jeff,

Weeks seems to be hot on most folks list. Matt Berry just forecasted that Weeks would be this years Utley, so that could work for you. Anyway, good luck!
Charles Krauthammer

Gordon Gekko

Opinions welcomed

Post by Gordon Gekko » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:42 am

Originally posted by TheKing:

quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

2 out of 10 stars. :( Makes me feel honored for the four stars you gave my squad. Which, by the way, should be upgraded to six. [/QUOTE]stays at 4. sorry

agd

Opinions welcomed

Post by agd » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:52 am

Pete, since you put together the projections, who are we chasing is this league from the start?

Thanks.

Pick #3

Top Dawg

Opinions welcomed

Post by Top Dawg » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:40 am

Originally posted by agd:

Pete, since you put together the projections, who are we chasing is this league from the start?

Thanks.

Pick #3 Sharon??: Actually all I did was enter my drafted players into a spreadsheet and compared their projected totals to what points those totals would have gotten in my league last year. I knew at the draft I was going to be under in the points needed for wins and K's but also knew that it has been easy to add a free agent pitcher who might get 7-9 wins and 100-125 K's. Power is harder to find.

If you are Sharon, I have to say I was very frustrated with you during the draft. You took 4 players I had "highlighted" right before the pick got to me. Oswalt, Johjima, Roberts and Guardado. Probably a few more too!!!! I like the balance of your team. Nice Job indeed!

Pete