Ok, Another Chance to Review A Team

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:09 pm

Same as NFBC! I like this a bit better than my other team because I managed to actually get 2 closers... My weakness I think are average SP pitching, but I figure it should be good enough

Tell me your thoughts...

Position Chris Throop

Pitcher - CL Huston Street (P)

Pitcher - CL Derrick Turnbow (P)

Pitcher - SP Barry Zito (P)

Pitcher - SP Noah Lowry (P)

Pitcher - SP Erik Bedard (P)

Pitcher - SP Jon Lieber (P)

Pitcher - SP Shawn Chacon (P)

Pitcher - SP Jorge Sosa (P)

Pitcher - SP Chien-ming Wang (P)

Pitcher - SP Josh Towers (P)

C Mike Lieberthal (C)

C Jason Larue (C)

1B Mark Teixeira (1B)

2B Jorge Cantu (3B,2B)

SS Felipe Lopez (SS)

3B Adrian Beltre (3B)

OF Scott Podsednik (OF)

OF Magglio Ordonez (OF)

OF Jason Lane (OF)

OF Wily Mo Pena (OF)

OF Raul Ibanez (OF,DH)

1B/3B Lance Berkman (1B,OF)

2B/SS Hanley Ramirez (SS)

DH Curtis Granderson (OF)

Bench Jeromy Burnitz (OF)

Bench Bronson Arroyo (P)

Bench Junior Spivey (2B)

Bench Salomon Torres (P)

Bench Craig Wilson (OF)

Bench Nate Robertson (P)

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:53 pm

SP stinks. Decent bench. 5 out of 10 stars.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:26 am

Love the offense...nice balance with upside risks (Granderson, Lopez, Ramirez, Spivey, Ordonez). Solid C's playing in good hitters parks half of the time.

Pitching staff will break your heart as I think you already suspect...lots of mediocre AL pitching playing in baseballs toughest division (Towers, Wang, Chacon)...ERA, WHIP, and K's are really weak on this third of your pitching staff. At least Towers and Wang are pretty good ground ball pitchers. In all honesty, I have taken Chacon off my draft sheets so I do not pick him in a drunken haze induced from all of those drink tickets Tom is going to give me.

I see Arroyo and Robertson in for you real soon, especially if Arroyo gets a chance to start again. Looks like you basically sacrificed a stud SP to solidify you Batters. Some luck in the FAAB is needed to get some solid, back-end of the rotation help. :cool:
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:16 am

I was in the same draft. I came away with:

Pyrzinski

Mauer

Swisher

Utley

Tejada

Atkins

Weeks

Kotchman

Sizemore

Nixon

Delmon Young

E. Brown

C. Patterson

Murton

Beckett

Pettitte

J. Patterson

Cain

D. Davis

Fossum

Fuentes

T. Jones

Devine

Reserves:

Millar

Nady

Macpherson

Connor Jackson

Shealy

Mota

C. Hansen

MGBMARTY

Post by MGBMARTY » Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:48 am

Wheres the BEEF No power Closers Average Beckett as an ace if healthy 15 175 1.30 4.45 era To quote Gekko 1 1/2 Stars

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:38 am

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

SP stinks. Decent bench. 5 out of 10 stars. interesting feedback lol. Unless something really strange happens in a draft, it is impossible in a league this deep not to have atleast some gaps. I have personally found SP the easiest to fix during the course of a year. closers tend to have specific 'next in line' people but new SPs show up and often may have 2 to 3 starts before people take them seriously. for example last year I got patterson, jorge sosa, and chacon all off the fa line (and chacon cost me $1)... And pitchers tend to be least reliable in terms of year to year consistency. Personally given my strong, balanced line up and 2 good closers I was pretty psyched with my staff but I obviouslly have a biased view

regards, spy

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:42 am

Originally posted by fireballs:

I was in the same draft. I came away with:

Pyrzinski

Mauer

Swisher

Utley

Tejada

Atkins

Weeks

Kotchman

Sizemore

Nixon

Delmon Young

E. Brown

C. Patterson

Murton

Beckett

Pettitte

J. Patterson

Cain

D. Davis

Fossum

Fuentes

T. Jones

Devine

Reserves:

Millar

Nady

Macpherson

Connor Jackson

Shealy

Mota

C. Hansen As compared to me SP is good. I like Cain allot this year. the Closers are a concern and also the general high risk nature of your offense. to me, there r a few too many risks than I normally like to see there... :D

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:48 am

Couldnt agree more Spy. High/Risk High/Reward. I think Fuentes and Jones will be fine and Devine and Hansen could easily be closing. I love my SP. No doubt there is alot of risk on offense but corners and outfielders find there way to the free agent list often. Wanted to be strong up the middle and it is tough to get better than Mauer, AJ, Tejada, Utley and Weeks. Ill need guys to step up offensively, no doubt. I doubt ill take that much risk in the main event though, little easier when the league is only one hundred bucks.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:38 am

Originally posted by Spyhunter:

quote:Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

SP stinks. Decent bench. 5 out of 10 stars. interesting feedback lol. [/QUOTE]5 out of 10 stars is the best i've given out so far.

Top Dawg

Post by Top Dawg » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:04 am

OK _ I know my gang can get a 1 in speed, here is my latest donation to the cause:

C: Johjima, Y. Molina

1: Pujols

2: Polonco

3: Ramirez

SS: Uribe

CI: Delgado

MI: Biggio

OF: Edmonds, Griffey, P.Wilson, R.Sanders, B. Anderson

UT: Chipper Jones

Reserve hitters: Carl Everett, Durazo, Aaron Hill

Pitchers (mix and match 9 of these)

SP: Pedro, Big Unit, Escobar, Maddux, Madson, Thomson, Trachsel

Closers/RP: Gordon, Wickman, Weathers, Hawkins, Villarrel, Crain

Have your shots...

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:11 am

Hi Pete. Drafted too last night. Love your offense with the exception of steals. Think you have a real good shot. Your season will hinge upon Pedro's big toe and if the Unit is still the Unit.

Jeff(Fireballs)

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:13 am

One of the drafters gave me an "F" in the mockdraft voting for this team, maybe I should just throw in the towel now

Feb 28, $500 satellite, think you'll beat me ... bring on the side bets. Or should I just give up now?

C V Martinez, J Willingham

1b A Dunn,

3b A Beltre

CI D Johnson

2b R Weeks

SS J Rollins

MI I Kinsler

OF M Ramirez

OF B Wilkerson

OF R Freel

OF R White

OF Kubel/ V Diaz/ Nady

SP Vazquez, Duke, Clemens, Clement, McCarthy, Baker

CL Gagne, Benitez

[ March 08, 2006, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: KJ Duke ]

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:20 am

KJ, an awesome offense, no doubt about it. Pitching is another story. If Clemens retires(which it loojs like he will) you'll have your work cut out for you. Clement is below average in the AL(especially in that division) and McCarthy has no rotation spot to start the year. If you find yourself a solid starter or two on the free agent list though you will be tough.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:26 am

Originally posted by fireballs:

KJ, an awesome offense, no doubt about it. Pitching is another story. If Clemens retires(which it loojs like he will) you'll have your work cut out for you. Clement is below average in the AL(especially in that division) and McCarthy has no rotation spot to start the year. If you find yourself a solid starter or two on the free agent list though you will be tough. thx for the comment fball, I think Clement can be around 4.00 with above avg W opps, although I know he has doubters, and I drafted 3 SP reserves to pick up any slack in addition to the waiver wire.

Top Dawg

Post by Top Dawg » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:28 am

fireballs - You are right about $100 vs $1250. I've done 2 of these $100 leagues and took several of the same risks (Pedro in both for example). Not sure how the $1250 will compare. However, I do know the teams picking early will have to either ignore speed or saves. It is going to be very hard to get both from the 1,2,3 hole. Even Pods was gone last night before I got to call out pick 2.

Best of luck,

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:28 am

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

One of the drafters gave me an "F" in the mockdraft voting for this team, maybe I should just throw in the towel now

Feb 28, $500 satellite, think you'll beat me ... bring on the side bets. Or should I just give up now?

1b A Dunn,

3b A Beltre

CI D Johnson

2b R Weeks

SS J Rollins

MI I Kinsler

OF M Ramirez

OF B Wilkerson

OF R Freel

OF R White

OF Kubel/ V Diaz/ Nady

CL Gagne, Benitez I certainly would not grade it as F. Maybe he was just trying to drive down your opinion of yourself- I do not have a clue as to how anyone who reads your posts could think you have a very high opinion of yourself.

[ March 08, 2006, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Chest Rockwell ]

MGBMARTY

Post by MGBMARTY » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:41 am

An F thats a joke think team is solid B

This tean which I drafted I would love to have in main event feel free to rip it and degrade it

C Willingham

C Y Molina

1b Texiera

2b Freel

3b Blalock

SS Peralta

CI D Young

MI Uribe

OF Pods

OF Dunn

OF W Pena

OF R Sanders

OF D Roberts

DH C Wilson

P Prior

P Duke

P Haren

P Penny

P Byrd

P Baker

P Jenks

P Dempster

P Foulke

Gladly take this team into battle

Marty

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:47 am

Solid offense, very solid. Sorely lacking in K's(even moreso assuming Prior has his customary stints on the DL). Wins will be tough to come by as well. Need to see that Duke is not a one year wonder. Foulke a big question mark and Wood could bump Dempster from the closers role.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:40 am

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

Maybe he was just trying to drive down your opinion of yourself- I do not have a clue as to how anyone who reads your posts could think you have a very high opinion of yourself. People that work hard at something tend to develop confidence, those who don't tend to develop contempt for those who do.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:45 am

Originally posted by MGBMARTY:

This tean which I drafted I would love to have in main event feel free to rip it and degrade it

C Willingham

C Y Molina

1b Texiera

2b Freel

3b Blalock

SS Peralta

CI D Young

MI Uribe

OF Pods

OF Dunn

OF W Pena

OF R Sanders

OF D Roberts

DH C Wilson

P Prior

P Duke

P Haren

P Penny

P Byrd

P Baker

P Jenks

P Dempster

P Foulke

Marty In my humble opinion, may be the best team I have seen. Too bad you cannot trade a little of your speed to upgrade the one or two weakest (relatively) areas (i.e. back-end starters if you haven't already covered with reserves). Do not draft this team in the Main Event please. :D
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:48 am

quote:Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

Maybe he was just trying to drive down your opinion of yourself- I do not have a clue as to how anyone who reads your posts could think you have a very high opinion of yourself. People that work hard at something tend to develop confidence, those who don't tend to develop contempt for those who do. [/QUOTE]Back to baseball Dr Phil...

Solid team- I have had a team rated an F that other people were gushing over. When you combine being anonymous and opinions you are bound to have one not like it or at least vote like they did.

Still not so sure if that is your finest work- looked a lot better with Clemens on June 1st. I have a very similar team that without Clemens has me worried a bit.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:52 am

1b A Dunn,

3b A Beltre

CI D Johnson

2b R Weeks

SS J Rollins

MI I Kinsler

OF M Ramirez

OF B Wilkerson

OF R Freel

OF R White

OF Kubel/ V Diaz/ Nady

CL Gagne, Benitez I haven't checked out projections on all, but certainly not an "F" team. BA might be a challenge, but other batting categories are good. Gagne, Vazquez (even with CHW), Duke, and Clement will be ok. In most of these I feel like I am so repeating myself, but some help might be needed for ERA, WHIP, K's.
Charles Krauthammer

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:52 am

C Willingham

C Y Molina

1b Texiera

2b Freel

3b Blalock

SS Peralta

CI D Young

MI Uribe

OF Pods

OF Dunn

OF W Pena

OF R Sanders

OF D Roberts

DH C Wilson

P Prior

P Duke

P Haren

P Penny

P Byrd

P Baker

P Jenks

P Dempster

P Foulke

Marty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Edwards Kings:

In my humble opinion, may be the best team I have seen. Too bad you cannot trade a little of your speed to upgrade the one or two weakest (relatively) areas (i.e. back-end starters if you haven't already covered with reserves). Do not draft this team in the Main Event please.Power and sb combo is nice but I see a 1 in batting average.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:56 am

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

quote:Originally posted by KJ Duke:

quote:Originally posted by Chest Rockwell:

Maybe he was just trying to drive down your opinion of yourself- I do not have a clue as to how anyone who reads your posts could think you have a very high opinion of yourself. People that work hard at something tend to develop confidence, those who don't tend to develop contempt for those who do. [/QUOTE]Back to baseball Dr Phil...

Solid team- I have had a team rated an F that other people were gushing over. When you combine being anonymous and opinions you are bound to have one not like it or at least vote like they did.

Still not so sure if that is your finest work- looked a lot better with Clemens on June 1st. I have a very similar team that without Clemens has me worried a bit.
[/QUOTE]lol, I thought you started it, Dr. Phil, in any case ... I think this is my best draft so far so if I'm wrong I'm probably in trouble. I would gladly take this in the main event.

Marty - like your team too, but I agree with Quahog that you'll be BA challenged.

Spyhunter

Post by Spyhunter » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:39 am

C Willingham

C Y Molina

1b Texiera

2b Freel

3b Blalock

SS Peralta

CI D Young

MI Uribe

OF Pods

OF Dunn

OF W Pena

OF R Sanders

OF D Roberts

DH C Wilson

P Prior

P Duke

P Haren

P Penny

P Byrd

P Baker

P Jenks

P Dempster

P Foulke

Marty Hi, some good looking parts to this team, but I would be a bit worried about the following:

Does C Wilson have a full time job?

BA (which others have mentioned)

Actually Power as well - you have freel, Roberts, and Pods all in there so you will be huge on steals, but 3 slots with a total of 20 HR is hard to paper over...

Spy