Santana/Peavy, 2 SP strategy - Revisited 5 years later

RobG

Santana/Peavy results

Post by RobG » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:01 pm

Originally posted by The Mighty Men:

MID-SEASON UPDATE:

Well, the strategy that all the "experts" said could not work is working, so far. At the mid point, team Santana/Peavy is in first place. I did this strategy after Tom Kessenich said in a chat words to the effect that he would never start this way. I'm sure many thought you could not win a league starting SP/SP, either.Here are the standings.

I will say, when you hit on a McCann, Hamilton and McLouth, to go with your higher offensive players, yes, that strategy can absolutely work. You can't always rely on hitting so well with those guys though.

1 The Mighty Men 61.0 59.0 120.0 0.0

2 Moose & Squirrel 56.0 52.0 108.0 0.0

3 It's not easy being Green 46.0 59.0 105.0 0.0

Take a look at my draft from the first post. My hitting has been tremendous. I lead in RBI, and am in the top 3 in HR's and R's. E. Santana, Marcum and Sonnanstine have been great, too. My $400+ Cueto pickup at the beginning of the season has not been good.

It seems to me that it doesn't matter too much who you draft in the first two picks IF you can hit with alot of picks throughout a draft.

Good thing this team is carrying me, because the rest of my teams are not too good.
Rob Giese

Crazy Like a Fox

Santana/Peavy results

Post by Crazy Like a Fox » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:13 pm

Originally posted by Crazy Like a Fox:

quote:Originally posted by The Mighty Men:

I am posting this only to foster discussion and hear comments from all the NFBC experts. I took the plunge. I entered tonight's $125 satellite just to try the Santana/Peavy combination. I KDS'd #13 as my first pick, and got it (before Santana was traded). I thought Santana might be gone, but he made it to 13. So, I bit the bullet and took Peavy and gave it a shot.

C Brian McCann ATL R5 P13 Comment

C Dioner Navarro TB R25 P13 Comment

1B Paul Konerko CHW R6 P3 Comment

2B Placido Polanco DET R11 P13 Comment

2B Kelly Johnson ATL R14 P3 Comment

SS Jason Bartlett TB R18 P3 Comment

3B Mark Reynolds ARI R16 P3 Comment

3B Joe Crede CHW R23 P13 Comment

3B Mike Lamb MIN R29 P13 Comment

OF Corey Hart MIL R3 P13 Comment

OF Chris Young ARI R4 P3 Comment

OF Johnny Damon NYY R7 P13 Comment

OF Josh Hamilton TEX R10 P3 Comment

OF Nate McLouth PIT R15 P13 Comment

OF Bill Hall MIL R19 P13 Comment

OF Jerry Owens CHW R24 P3 Comment

OF Jonny Gomes TB R27 P13 Comment

DH Jim Thome CHW R8 P3 Comment

SP Johan Santana NYM R1 P13 Comment

SP Jake Peavy SD R2 P3 Comment

SP Jeremy Bonderman DET R12 P3 Comment

SP Shaun Marcum TOR R17 P13 Comment

SP Scott Baker MIN R20 P3 Comment

SP Ervin Santana ANA R21 P13 Comment

SP Kevin Slowey MIN R22 P3 Comment

SP Andrew Sonnanstine TB R26 P3 Comment

SP Jonathan Sanchez SF R30 P3 Comment

RP Huston Street OAK R9 P13 Comment

RP Carlos Marmol CHC R13 P13 Comment

RP Jim Hoey BAL R28 P3 Comment

One of the reasons I wanted to try it was just because nearly everybody will say winning the league cannot be done by starting with two pitchers. So, why not give it a go in a $125 satellite. Feel free to flame away at me if you want - I don't care. Even you, Gekko. Wow, not only did you try a strategy that I was thinking about you also picked a lot of pitchers I like late.

I've got many of your pitchers on my Feb. 19th squad. Peavy, Bonderman, Slowey, Ervin Santana.

I think your power might be a little underrated. McCann, Konerko, Reynolds, Hart, Young, Hamilton, Gomes, Thome - ALL 25+ homers.

Stolen bases are fine with K.J., Bartlett, Hart, Young, Damon, McClouth, Owens.

Power could be midpack, stolen bases could be top 5. Pitching as a whole is easily top 2 (if Marmol gets closer job) I think you'll get about 65-67 points in pitching cats. Scour the free agents during the year improving on your offensive deficiencies and you could reasonably get 40-45 points out of that offense. Takes some work though.

I think you did a great job drafting, picking some nice offensive players with upside. Damon returns to form, Hamilton hits 30+ homers, Young hits 30/30 and raises BA, Thome hits 40 homers with 100 rbis, McCann goes for .300-30-100, Navarro proves his last 2 months were no fluke, all things I expect to happen, and you my friend are in the running to take this thing home.

I think, considering you took top 2 picks with pitchers, you recovered admirably.

Your team has a good chance to win and who knows, might even be the favorite.

Excellent draft. Love it.
[/QUOTE]Maybe I'm just patting myself on the back here, but I did really like you're team.
"Hit a home run - put your head down, drop the bat, run around the bases, because the name on the front is more - a lot more important than the name on the back."

Ryne Sandberg (my favorite player of all-time)

Edwards Kings

Santana/Peavy results

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:38 am

Originally posted by The Mighty Men:

MID-SEASON UPDATE:

Well, the strategy that all the "experts" said could not work is working, so far. At the mid point, team Santana/Peavy is in first place. I did this strategy after Tom Kessenich said in a chat words to the effect that he would never start this way. I'm sure many thought you could not win a league starting SP/SP, either.Here are the standings.

1 The Mighty Men 61.0 59.0 120.0 0.0

2 Moose & Squirrel 56.0 52.0 108.0 0.0

3 It's not easy being Green 46.0 59.0 105.0 0.0

Take a look at my draft from the first post. My hitting has been tremendous. I lead in RBI, and am in the top 3 in HR's and R's. E. Santana, Marcum and Sonnanstine have been great, too. My $400+ Cueto pickup at the beginning of the season has not been good.

It seems to me that it doesn't matter too much who you draft in the first two picks IF you can hit with alot of picks throughout a draft.

Good thing this team is carrying me, because the rest of my teams are not too good. Congratulations on your excellent first half! Your team is certainly outperforming anything I have going right now and you proved again you can win with any strategy (or from any draft position). I think when I looked at your team, I said it could compete (not that I am an expert), but I think the point that some make is that by going 1 and 2 with pitchers, you are engaging in a risky strategy and much of what we do is targeted at mitigating risk. But it looks like have pulled it off (so far :D )!!!

The reason you pulled it off, IMO, is not Santana and Peavy, of course or the fact you picked two pitchers first. It is because you were smart enough (and lucky enough) to get some great picks later on. These are the guys that are carrying you.

OF Josh Hamilton TEX R10 P3 Comment

OF Nate McLouth PIT R15 P13 Comment

SP Shaun Marcum TOR R17 P13 Comment

SP Scott Baker MIN R20 P3 Comment

SP Ervin Santana ANA R21 P13 Comment

SP Kevin Slowey MIN R22 P3 Comment

SP Andrew Sonnanstine TB R26 P3 Comment

SP Jonathan Sanchez SF R30 P3 Comment

Great draft and great season. Congrats again!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

cribgusto

Santana/Peavy results

Post by cribgusto » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:17 am

The fact that Santana and Peavy are clearly underperforming everyone's expectations demonstrates that the strategy, in and of itself, is not the reason for your team's success. As Wayne shows, it is wildly successful late picks (McLouth/Hamilton) that carry most of the weight.

So, the winning strategy here is actually "pick really good players late in the draft." I think other people have thought of that strategy before.

The Mighty Men

Re: Santana/Peavy results - Revisited 5 years later

Post by The Mighty Men » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:08 am

I just ran across this thread from five years ago. Take a look at some of the great comments in here about strategy.Some people said that drafting two SP's could not win.

WOW, how times have changed. I saw several teams start SP/SP this year in the main event, and a TON of teams start with two SP's in the first three rounds.

Really, does strategy change, or the player pool change, that much in 5 years? Or does the recency effect of strong pitching change what is an "acceptable" for the "norm" in drafting a main event team?

Interesting stuff.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1