Embarassing first MDC draft

kgrady

Post by kgrady » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:21 pm

:rolleyes: There's a first time for everything, including a mock draft on MDC. Is there ever! For whatever reason, I've never been really keen on the concept of mock drafting, but I decided that maybe it was time I tried it. 14 other unsuspecting drafters no doubt wish I had stayed away.

I logged in about 10 minutes before starting time. I had a list of of players that are either true sleepers or guys that I simply like a lot more than the ADP suggests. It made sense to find some of them ahead of time and place them on the chalkboard (aka - pre-draft selections) so that I wouldn't have to dig around for them later. BIG MISTAKE! :mad: I didn't realize that by placing players in this area, I was essentially creating a substitute default list if I went over on my alotted time. Sure enough, a player lasted longer in round one than I expected so I tried to find him. (I am not the quickest draw when it comes to the keyboard or mouse!) I ran out of time and to my astonishment my first round pick defaulted to Aaron Hill! :confused: Now Aaron Hill's a good player, but the only way he's a first round pick is if the player pool consists only of Toronto Blue Jays. Anyway, I hastily tried to reassure everyone that I wasn't intentionally screwing things up. (It just came naturally!) Unfortunately, my failure to make a first round selection kicked the auto-pilot on. The time window shortened and before I could select Ryan Braun with pick #16, the default kicked in again and said "Why don't you take Freddy Sanchez instead?" :eek: Yikes! This is not what I had in mind! I righted the ship from there, and deleted the rest of the pre-draft names so that the likes of Anthony Reyes didn't wind up as my 3rd round pick. Alas the damage was done. Most people bailed out of the draft because they understandably figured it was a lost cause! :(

My apologies to all of you who were witness to this debacle! Be forewarned however. I'm going to try MDC again tomorrow. :eek: If I dribble the ball off my foot and out of bounds again, I will pull the plug on my MDC endeavors!

Kevin
"Fear ... that's the other guy's problem!" - Lewis Winthorpe (Dan Akroyd) from Trading Places

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:38 pm

Too bad Aaron Hill and Freddy Sanchez won't make it into the official NFBC ADPs as 1st and 2nd rouders. :D :D

EliGrimmett

Post by EliGrimmett » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:05 pm

I was in that draft. Funny stuff!
"This guy here is dead."
"Cross him off then."

kgrady

Post by kgrady » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:57 am

FYI ... I sent a message to MDC asking if there is anything that can be done in such a situation. I was told that the draft's commissioner/creator has the authority to temporarily stop a draft to correct a mistake.

Kevin
"Fear ... that's the other guy's problem!" - Lewis Winthorpe (Dan Akroyd) from Trading Places

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:05 am

Did you fall asleep? I'm guessing you had 90 seconds to make your first selection. Unless you were picking 50th out of 50 teams, why would you need to scroll through anything to find a player? The list shouldn't have changed much.

You then would've had 90 seconds for your second pick. I believe once 2 consecutive picks are missed by a drafter, the "auto select" feature kicks in and auto selects for you.

The only way the time would've been shorter by the second round is if your clicked on the "i'm away" or "away"(whatever it says) )button.

First time for everything. Keep practicing. I'm sure the other drafters weren't happy, but that's why you're mocking...to try different strategies like getting Hill and Sanchez in the first 2 rounds.

It'll get easier in time. If you truly want to mock, keep doing it and you'll become a pro using MDC.

[ March 01, 2008, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: GOD Loves You ]

Asumijet

Post by Asumijet » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:38 am

Originally posted by kgrady:

FYI ... I sent a message to MDC asking if there is anything that can be done in such a situation. I was told that the draft's commissioner/creator has the authority to temporarily stop a draft to correct a mistake.

Kevin I was in a mock draft immediately after yours. There were a couple of guys in there still complaining. Don't even think twice about it. Mocks are good for trying strategies and to practice in-draft situations. Anything else, and your just spinning your wheels.
Neal Moses

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:08 pm

i was in the draft..i was one that left early..arod went #3..hill went 1.13..sanchez went 2.3...i was out.
bill cleavenger
BIG BLUE NATION
"we don't rebuild, we reload"

RedRum

Post by RedRum » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:39 pm

why were u going over the alloted time?? there is the problem :D jk
_ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _