We're On Pace To Live Forever

DOUGHBOYS

We're On Pace To Live Forever

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:57 pm

I cringe when I see 'on pace' writeups. The only reason we see them is because it is the beginning of the year.
Seven home runs in a week during the middle of the season is merely a 'hot streak. It is only a hot streak because we have the first part of the season to measure those seven home runs.
We have nothing to measure Adrian Gonzalez or Billy Hamilton's start to the season, so we get dumbasses doing the 'on pace' scribblings, implying there is a chance that out of orbit stats can be maintained.

Baseball is like life. There is no clock. When our nine inngs are over, we die.
Before that time comes, we are all on pace to live FOREVER!
Trouble being that no baseball game has gone on forever and neither has any person.
For some reason, the possibility of the 'never done' enthrals us.
We want to see Adrian Gonzalez hit 100 homers.
We want to see Billy Hamilton steal 200 bases.
We want to live forever.
We want these things, knowing they will never be.

Jon Lester, Giancarlo Stanton, Starling Marte, and others are pissing off their owners and fans.
Are any of them as bad over the course of a season as they have been the first nine days of a season?
No.
We are impatient sombitches though.
We want what we paid for.
I have not seen one ''on pace' write-up for Stanton to hit zero home runs. Apparently, that is not as much fun as Adrian hitting 100 homers.

When I was a kid, there was a lot of talk about the four minute mile.
Track meets became part of 'Wide World of Sports. Other track meets were part of weekend sports television.
I watched those attempts at breaking the four minute mile. I would yell, "Wow, look at that guy go! He's going to do it for sure!"
My Dad would give me an "Harumph" and inform me that the guy ahead was not the good miler.
He told me he was a 'rabbit'. Somebody that would set a fast pace for the race, then fall off after a lap or two.
"WHY IS HE EVEN THERE IF HE CAN'T WIN?" I'd ask.
My Dad would try to let me know that he was a plant for Jim Ryan or Marty Liquori or some trackster going after the record, so that they would run a faster race.
Nobody, but nobody expected these rabbits to keep their pace for four laps. Nobody did an 'on pace' for these rabbits.
It went without saying that no human could keep that pace.
Yet, in other sports, especially baseball, we have players 'on pace' to do the impossible.

And now that I write this.
It's ok.
I woke up this morning and I'm writing this post.
I'm on pace to wake up tomorrow morning and write another post.
THAT, is an 'on pace' I can live with.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Glenneration X

Re: We're On Pace To Live Forever

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:41 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I'm on pace to wake up tomorrow morning and write another post.
Good stuff Doughy. Please keep up the pace. ;)

Edwards Kings

Re: We're On Pace To Live Forever

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:34 am

At this pace, you will live forever, so I hope I am around to interview you when you turn 2,000!
Attachments
2000 year old man.jpg
You don't look a day over 1,950...
2000 year old man.jpg (71.59 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer