Rules Clarifications

BB of the Leaderboard

Rules Clarifications

Post by BB of the Leaderboard » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:39 am

With respect to clearing a spot for a FAABed player, the rules appear to be inconsistent:

"For each free agent acquired, an owner must also release, disable or reserve a player from its active roster so as to properly conserve roster composition." (Second paragraph after Hickman example)

But

"A player may only be moved from the active roster to the Reserve List if he is NOT being replaced by a player picked up by means of FAAB. Movement from the active roster to the Reserve List may only occur if a replacement is being activated from the Disabled List or the Reserve List." (Second paragraph in section G)

So, can a FAABed player (free agent) fill a slot vacated by a player who is reserved or not?

Second question:

Rules say that during the auction, upon acquiring a player, "The owner must also announce the roster position that the player will fill." It does not specify whether the player can then later be moved to a different position at which he also qualifies (as is usual in most auctions). Is that allowed?

Thanks. :D

Greg Ambrosius

Rules Clarifications

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:20 pm

The second one is easier to answer first. Yes, of course, you can move a player to another qualified position after you've announced him at one position. Having flexibility is the key to acquiring these type of players.

Let me analyze the FAAB again. The intention of acquiring free agents in the Auction Leagues is to put them immediately into your starting lineup, not to stash them on your reserve roster. I will clear this up better for you by tomorrow.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

BB of the Leaderboard

Rules Clarifications

Post by BB of the Leaderboard » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:32 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

The intention of acquiring free agents in the Auction Leagues is to put them immediately into your starting lineup, not to stash them on your reserve roster. This is not the question so I guess I wasn't clear. The rules appear clear that a newly acquired FAAB player must go onto the active roster. What is not clear is how a place may be cleared for him to occupy. The first quote seems to say that a player can be reserved to make way for the newly acquired free agent whereas the second quote says that this can't be done but rather the open roster spot must be created by releasing or putting a player on the DL.

Greg Ambrosius

Rules Clarifications

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:33 am

The term reserve in the first example can only be used if the player was sent to the minors. At that point, you could still retain his rights, send him to your reserve roster, fill in your active roster with a FAAB pickup and then cut another player from your reserve roster to maintain the 23 and 6 roster requirement. But you cannot just reserve an active player who is sucking it up for your team and add a FAAB pickup and then stash your other player on your reserve. At that point, you must make the tough decision of cutting the original draft pick or sticking it out with him.

To be more specific, last year if you drafted Xavier Nady and you wanted to pick up Scott Podsednik after two weeks and nobody was injured on your team, you would have to decide to cut Nady and add Podsednik to your active roster. If Nady went on the DL at that time, you could reserve him, cut a different player from your reserve and add Podsednik to your active roster.

It sounds more complicated than it is.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Rules Clarifications

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:28 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Let me analyze the FAAB again. The intention of acquiring free agents in the Auction Leagues is to put them immediately into your starting lineup, not to stash them on your reserve roster. I will clear this up better for you by tomorrow. Now I'm confused (and that takes a lot to do) :D . I'm from the school of allowing owners to manage their teams without many constraints. Here's what I see: If an owner wants to pick up a free agent and add him to their reserve roster (stashing away), I say why not? What value does this rule bring to owners if they can't add a FA to their reserve roster? We only get 6 reserve spots.

Greg Ambrosius

Rules Clarifications

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:40 am

Gordon, don't get this confused with the NFBC. You can do exactly what you're saying in the NFBC, which is strengthen your bench. I have set up the FAAB differently in Auction Leagues because there are fewer available free agents and managing your starting roster is key. This question pertains just to the Auction Leagues as he's citing the rules from there. I am not adverse to changing that to exactly the way we have it with the NFBC if that's what Auction League managers would like. More flexibility between your six-man reserve squad and active roster is fine by me. Any thoughts from Auction League members?
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Dyv

Rules Clarifications

Post by Dyv » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:34 pm

For myself (AL Auction Vegas)

I would prefer to let the bench be very flexible.

Dave
Just Some Guy

BB of the Leaderboard

Rules Clarifications

Post by BB of the Leaderboard » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:46 pm

I too would prefer the maximum flexibility. But at a mimimum I would like the rules clear so that I know what they are.

B(Gasp, I am agreeing with that tedious lizard)B

Gordon Gekko

Rules Clarifications

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:59 pm

Originally posted by BB of the Leaderboard: B(Gasp, I am agreeing with that tedious lizard)B Tedious lizard? A TEDIOUS lizard? A tedious LIZARD? Nope still have no idea what that means. Thanks for a good laugh. I'll show the guys in the office tomorrow.

Greg Ambrosius

Rules Clarifications

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:12 pm

Well, it would make my job easier as commissioner so I'm not adverse to making both contests identical. Unless I hear otherwise from the silent majority, I will provide flexibility in roster management in the Auction Leagues as well. That would allow players to pick up free agents and put them directly on their reserve rosters while cutting one of their reserves, but that will just keep everyone on their toes during the season. I agree and will make the changes if that's what the group wants. Thanks for the input.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

seefer

Rules Clarifications

Post by seefer » Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:01 am

Even though I am just a co-manager in the NL auction league I can speak for my partner (he's in Idia right now) when I say that we would very much like a "more flexible" bench (reserves). Thanks Greg, and keep up the tremendous work!!!

GeneM

Rules Clarifications

Post by GeneM » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:21 pm

I'm also in favor of maximum flexibility in the auction leagues.

Sack

Rules Clarifications

Post by Sack » Sat Mar 06, 2004 3:58 pm

Max flexibility gets my vote. I don't like restrictions on reserve players. Hope you decide to allow the same rules as NFBC.

Greg Ambrosius

Rules Clarifications

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:32 am

Roster flexibility for both events will be used. I like a six-man reserve squad that I can use, too. That isn't the case in LABR, as Gene knows, and I think there's less strategy involved. So have no fear, you will be allowed to bring players in freely from your reserve squad in the NFBC and in the Auction Leagues.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius