600 Online Championship Teams

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:41 pm

Tonight, we hit 300 teams for the debut NFBC Online Championship, an incredible response that I'll admit was unexpected. I had a feeling that we could grow our NFBC customer base by offering a solid, 12-team league format online with a fair overall grand prize, but I was unsure of the demand when I first set our guaranteed grand prize. In fact, I was a little nervous about guaranteeing $30,000+ in prizes.

Maybe only Shawn Childs saw this coming, but we are now at our overall guaranteed level and we need to go above 300 teams to fill each league perfectly with 12 teams each. Our rules state that we can go up to 600 teams while continuing to pay out 80 percent of all additional revenues and we will do that for each additional league we add.

In the last seven days, we've added almost 100 teams, so honestly I'm not sure where we're going to land. I don't want this to get too big, but I've already met with our entire sports staff and we will ramp up the staffing for those eight days to make sure we have enough administrators for each league on each night. Tom and I will work all eight nights, but we'll have the help of MDC.com and additional staffers to make sure these run very smoothly.

So here's how the prize breakdown will work for each additional league. League prizes will remain $1,300 for first place and $650 for second place. Since each league brings in $4,200, 80% of that is $3,360. Since $1,950 goes to league prizes, that leaves us with $1,410 for the overall prize pool. The prize breakdown will be as follows for each additional league past 300 teams:

League prizes = $1,950

Overall grand prize = $810

Combined Standings = $200 (for main event and online)

Overall 2nd through ? prizes = $400

This is the same breakdown that we currently have based on the first 300 teams. I will play with it slightly to make sure we have the grand prize as a nice round figure, like $25,000 or $27,500 or something once we land at the final figure, but for now you get an idea of what the breakdown will be with every new signup that comes in. Everyone wins.

So the $20,000 grand prize will increase $810 per additional league. If we get 120 more teams -- which is very possible -- the grand prize will be $28,000 instead of $20,000. We'll also be able to increase second through sixth overall and will even extend that to second through 10th or 11th overall. I want to pay more overall finishers and this will allow us to do that. The final figures will come once we know the final number of teams.

Obviously we have to stop the signups at some point once we have full 12-team leagues on certain nights and some of the later drafts are getting pretty full already. So keep an eye on the signup list and don't wait too long if you see a night that works best for you.

We will hit all of the credit cards for the online championship next week sometime, likely the 12th or 13th. This is going to take some time with all of these signups, so I think we may need to start sooner than I had wanted. And we need to make sure everyone is set up on MockDraftCentral.com beforehand. This will be a lot of work, but I have a feeling this will run smoothly.

I'll put a post tomorrow about cuts in this league and how that will work. The 12-team leagues will have lots of good choices in free agency and we will need to monitor the cuts like we do in the 15-team format. You can cut anyone you want, but if we see a major star cut in just one league, we hold the right to freeze that player out of free agency in that league. Again, you can cut anyone you want but we also reserve the right to take him out of free agency.

We'll discuss that tomorrow. And remember, we'll have Combined Standings with the main event and a car of your choice up to $75,000 in value to anyone who can win the overall titles in both the main event and the online championship. Oh, and the highest scoring team will win $5,000 and we'll add second, third, fourth and more prizes going forward as $200 from each additional league will now go towards that prize fund. We win all around.

Thanks again for the incredible participation and good luck all.

[ March 27, 2009, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Greg Ambrosius ]
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Da bears

Post by Da bears » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:46 pm

Great news Greg!!!
-Bauler Shot Caller

Post by 751542 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:55 pm

WOW!!!! keep em coming...we will probably see an influx of 3 packs for the people who only have 1 team at this point.....as big eddie would say...BANG!!!!
" i have never lost...just ran out of time!"

Da bears

Post by Da bears » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:16 pm

Originally posted by RoundTrippers:

WOW!!!! keep em coming...we will probably see an influx of 3 packs for the people who only have 1 team at this point.....as big eddie would say...BANG!!!! Yeah I already got my 3-pack. :cool:

See ya in Vegas in a few weeks RT.
-Bauler Shot Caller

Post by 751542 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:21 am

if its a FEW weeks i will not be there....2 weeks brotha...2 weeks!!
" i have never lost...just ran out of time!"

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:20 am

Here is an idea for many of you to help grow this and thus the prizes.......you play in local leagues where very few if any of them play in the NFBC - live or satellites. Why not send an email to your league and tell them about the Online Championship? Lower entry fee and anyone can play without any travel expenses or time away from home.

Would love to see this event start at 500 this year and grow from there.

And Greg you can add me to the Childs comment - I still think there is a Massive untapped audience for this event.......

Top Dawg

Post by Top Dawg » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:52 am

Originally posted by Captain Hook:

Here is an idea for many of you to help grow this and thus the prizes.......you play in local leagues where very few if any of them play in the NFBC - live or satellites. Why not send an email to your league and tell them about the Online Championship? Lower entry fee and anyone can play without any travel expenses or time away from home.

Would love to see this event start at 500 this year and grow from there.

And Greg you can add me to the Childs comment - I still think there is a Massive untapped audience for this event....... Great idea Perry, but I would somehow like to keep larger groups of "friends" from competing in the same league since there are overall prizes. I love the idea for a satellite though. No harm, no foul if 15 buddies gang up on one satellite.

Pete
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Sack

Post by Sack » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:17 am

The drive behind this is $350.

It is a great price, affordable for most people. When you break DOWN the "entertainment" value per month, it is even cheaper. Add in the CATCH of three teams for $950 and you have a real winner.

12 teams, I must admit now, adds to this. I was skeptical about this at first because it broke from the NFBC norm of 15 teams. However, you'll be able to draft better players which I feel will help with the "new" audience in the enjoyment of watching the games and therefore offering a solid product.

While I had my eye on the 3-bagger from the start, I'm shocked I had to move on March 2nd. Figured there would be a bigtime drive AFTER we return from the Main Event. Looks like we won't have that "initial" low number to shoot for 20K, but that is OK....glad to see this take off.

[ March 03, 2009, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Sack ]

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:47 am

I'll continue to update the number at the top of this thread as demand warrants. Right now we've topped 325 signups for the online championship, which means we already have 27 leagues. That has pushed the overall grand prize up another $1,500 at a minimum and increases second through 10th overall too plus the Combined Standings prize pool. We'll figure out all of those final numbers once we land at a final spot, but so far the increased demand just means an increase in payouts. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:17 pm

We've added three more leagues in the last two days, so the grand prize is already up to at least $22,500. Wow, this can be fun once we finish up with 400+ teams. Keep 'em coming as we have now staffed up to make sure the spots are available to run each draft smoothly as long as the demand is there. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Motorboat Jones

Post by Motorboat Jones » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:55 am

I put the count at 363 as of this morning !

RedRum

Post by RedRum » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:54 am

I'm in for the ONLINE Championship!!!! :D
_ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:28 am

Over 390 now for the NFBC Online Championship. Thanks all and let's fill up these remaining leagues.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:54 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Over 390 now for the NFBC Online Championship. Thanks all and let's fill up these remaining leagues. Your ads on RW still say $20k, couldn't hurt to jack that up to $25-30k ...

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:45 pm

Originally posted by KJ Duke:

quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Over 390 now for the NFBC Online Championship. Thanks all and let's fill up these remaining leagues. Your ads on RW still say $20k, couldn't hurt to jack that up to $25-30k ... [/QUOTE]Yeah, good point. I can have our art director change those ads tomorrow and get them to RW. Thanks for the heads up.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:44 am

Today we topped 400 signups for the debut NFBC Online Championship, so we are already headed towards 33 leagues and possibly more. The grand prize has already been raised to $26,000 and will continue to rise with each new signup. Here's the breakdown of where the additional prize money is going once we got past 300 teams:

League prizes will remain $1,300 for first place and $650 for second place. Since each league brings in $4,200, 80% of that is $3,360. Since $1,950 goes to league prizes, that leaves us with $1,410 for the overall prize pool. The prize breakdown will be as follows for each additional league past 300 teams:

League prizes = $1,950

Overall grand prize = $810

Combined Standings = $200 (for main event and online)

Overall 2nd through ? prizes = $400

Thanks all and we'll have to stop the signups for some of these leagues soon to reach perfect increments of 12 teams. Good luck to everyone in this debut contest.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:43 am

We're at 408 teams now, which would be 34 full leagues once we fill out each date perfectly. That would make our grand prize $27,500. Wow, this is going to be a fun, fun contest to watch. Thanks all and let's finish this one off strong.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:07 am

Just a heads up that today we started hitting the credit cards for the NFBC Online Championship. All signups going forward will be processed as they come in and we'll begin closing some of the early leagues once we get to a perfect 12-team increment. Thanks all for a tremendous start to the baseball season.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Motorboat Jones

Post by Motorboat Jones » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:52 pm

Once you close out a specific date/time slot for the online championship, how long will it take to randomize/draw leagues and draft orders for those teams ?

bustouts

Post by bustouts » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:24 pm

greg or tom,

please sign me up for whichever tuesday on line championship draft, 3/31, works better with your numbers.

thanks

david d

poopy tooth

Post by poopy tooth » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:03 am

Yaz,

Where is Holly Springs?

Sounds familiar. I used to live in Wilmington and Jacksonville.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:23 am

We have 433 Online Championship teams as of today and heading towards a guaranteed $30,000 grand prize. Amazing. I don't have a number yet for folks doing both events and competing for the Combined Standings title, but I'll get that once signups are done. This should be a lot of fun. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Yankees2009

Post by Yankees2009 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:43 am

Greg,

Is the March 31, 7:00 draft filled ? If so, when do we get the draft positions ? I think the on-line championship is very attractive for many of us who have never participated in a NFBC draft. I, for one, like the 12 team format , in my 1st draft. I did a mock draft however, with 23 teams. My #3 1st round became a #44 2nd round. Good enough for C.Quentin.

Motorboat Jones

Post by Motorboat Jones » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:30 am

Originally posted by poopy tooth:

Yaz,

Where is Holly Springs?

Sounds familiar. I used to live in Wilmington and Jacksonville. I live in Holly Springs near Raleigh (Wake County).

Badger

Post by Badger » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:45 am

Signed up for 3/30. Looking forward to it.