For The Love of the Game

DOUGHBOYS

For The Love of the Game

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:35 am

I just read about a 94 year old geezer. A billionaire who just got married to, you guessed it, a young woman.
We all know what's in it for the geezer. We all know what's in it for the younger woman.
And common folks, for the most part, say more power to them.

Baseball is a younger man's game than life, so we'll reverse the 94 and make it a 49.
In baseball, Jamie Moyer is that geezer. The gratification is not sexual, of course.
No, the gratification comes in getting a player young enough to be a grandkid out on called strikes.
Moyer's borrowed time ran out years ago. The hands on the clock broke and Moyer's arm survived.
Even when he was 27, Moyer had a 49 year old arm. His fastball has the mph of the speed limit on an expressway. If seeing the catcher signal for a change up, you can get out of your seat, hit the john, by a hot dog and be back in your seat as the pitch came across the plate. Moyer lives by a realtor's code. Location, location, location.
Lucky in now that his body is 49, his arm hasn't aged a day.

Moyer should not be on any fantasy roster. His game was never suited for the fantasy game. Strike outs in Jamie Moyer's world is like humility in Deion Sanders world. If it happens, it's an accident.
Moyer doesn't pitch for statistics or fame.
Moyer pitches for the love of the game. And because he can.
And the common folks, for the most part, say more power to him.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!