Idiotsyncrasies

DOUGHBOYS

Idiotsyncrasies

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:27 am

Some folks have idiosyncrasies. I have 'idiotsyncrasies (Duh spellchecker! They'll know it's not a real word!)
Too many to mention in one post.
As you would guess, most of them revolve around baseball.

Here's one...
Since I've started playing in the NFBC, I can't go to sleep till the last day of the game is over.
I've tried. But, I know what'll happen. I'll lay in bed wondering what is happening and eventually get up to see.
Good thing I don't live on the East Coast!

Here's another...
Unless he looks to be dominating from updates on my computer, I will not watch my pitchers pitch. It drives me crazy!
And folks, that is a short drive.
I've tried, but I'll start yelling at the tv screen thinking somehow my pitcher, the umpire, the hitter, or the Manager could hear me. On a 3-0 pitch, I'll hope my pitcher hits the batter to improve his WHIP a little. I can't even listen to my pitchers pitching on XM. My mood changes too much and usually when I'm listening on XM, it's in a public place with good folks around me, I don't want my bad pitcher to bring down their day too.

And another...
I can't listen to Houston Astros games on XM. I'm sorry Houston fans, but your broadcaster is like me...stupid, old, or both.
Most of the time, I yell at him to tell me what's going on, until thinking I don't want to go through the pain any more.

Totally off subject, I'm watching the Braves-Mets game (Atlanta tv crew is barely tolerable)
Bo Jackson threw out the first pitch and was a guest in the booth. They asked him about bowling over Brian Bosworth.
Bo replied, 'He was getting in the way of progress'....nice.

And another...
While following my pitcher on computer, I'll have his game paused. If seeing he gets through an inning unscathed, I'll look at the tv screen and judge if he is capable of keeping it up for the whole game.
If he gets ripped, I'll change the channel.

and another...
As a kid, I collected baseball cards. I would anticipate the starting lineups over the radio and align my baseball cards likewise. If a player got a hit, I would put one of my 'doubles' with the first card. An odd way to scorekeep, but I was a kid, what did I know...

Last, and this has nothing to do with baseball....
I've never spent over $15 on a meal for myself.
The guys in the MLBC got a kick out of this because I end up donating $200 to their cause every year due to my cheapness.
This idiotsyncracy drives my wife and friends crazy.
They'll take me out to a swanky place and tell me to order anything I want.
I can't. Even though I'm not paying, I know they are and it turns my stomach a little to see friends or family spend so much on something that'll be gone in half an hour.

One short story and I'll end this...
Some of you were here and some weren't when Fanball became a partner in the NFBC.
I did not like Fanball from the get go. I voiced it, and was ridiculed by some, while others agreed.
It ended up with me having 'conversations' with Ryan 'E' Houston, the face of Fanball.
These conversations did nothing more than fan the flames to an all out fire for me.
I drafted in St. Louis that year and talked with other drafters who felt the same way about Fanball.

After the draft, we could order anything from the menu.
The talk at the table again turned to Fanball and I felt my temperature rising.
I was handed the menu. I didn't look at the food descriptions. I ordered the highest priced item.
My wife was shocked. It was the first and only time that I had gone over a limit.
But, it was also the first and only time that an antagonist bought me a meal.
I don't even remember what it was. But, it tasted good. :D

By the way, for those that weren't here for Fanball. Despite my feelings then, Fanball was a needed stepping stone for the NFBC. Who knows where the NFBC would be without them.
Although their leader had the message board decorum of a Yahoo Kid at the time, I'm grateful that they were there, when they were there.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

PGromek

Re: Idiotsyncrasies

Post by PGromek » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:49 pm

good stuff Dan

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks Paul,
It's nights like these where I put the idiot in sync. I know nothing will happen in these last two west coast games.
But I Can't help myself.
On my tombstone-

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:28 am

Are you awake yet Doughy? There's early games today. :)

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:38 am

Even for the Patriots Day game, Glenn. :)

If my wife hears a bump in the night and wants me to investigate, she doesn't say, 'I think I heard something!'
She'll say, 'Are you sure that game was over?...You'd better check'...
On my tombstone-