1 OZ. Doritos, Yes......Fantasy Baseball, No!

DOUGHBOYS

1 OZ. Doritos, Yes......Fantasy Baseball, No!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:29 am

I'm a little peeved.
There are some phrases in fantasy baseball that really make me feel like my favorite teen magazine..... MAD!
Is anybody else sick of hearing 'small sample size' ?
Yeah, me too.
I know what 'they' can do with your small sample size. Unless somebody is sending me a 1 oz. package of Doritos, I don't want to hear it.

The phrase is a backhanded or a left handed compliment to a team that has gotten out of the gate well. While providing hope to those who are probably the very ones using the term.
We've played a month of the season.
That is one sixth of the schedule.
It's more than a sample size.
It is a block of games. They could be trends. An early peak at coming events.
No matter.
A sample size?
Bull pucky!

If we have a bad June or July, do we chalk that up as 'small sample size?
You betcher ass we don't!
Those bad months are long!
We become so benign over the off season.
No standings to follow.
No play on the field.
We are just following things that are happening that may effect future picks. Nothing counts. Boring.
Then Spring training starts and 'they' says 'it means nothing'.....Which makes as much sense as small sample size.....We all follow spring training. It gives us insights to batting orders, pitching rotations, playing time, and managerial tendencies.
But again 'They' or somebody continually wants to diminish the baseball that is being played on the field.

Who decides when this small sample size is over?
We never hear that part, do we?
Pujols owners are tired of hearing he's going to hit. That it's just a small sample size. They want him to break out. They don't want to be mollified by the shortness in time. To them, that shortness of time or 'small sample size' is an eternity!
There's no clock on baseball games, but somebody wants to put a clock on our season.
Well, screw them!

The beauty of fantasy baseball is the day to day grind.
Every day means something.
April could be your worst month of fantasy play.
April could be your best month of fantasy play.
When we look back in October, we'll think of the start we had, no matter how good or bad.
And no matter the start, we won't think of it as, 'A small sample size.'
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

headhunters

Re: 1 OZ. Doritos, Yes......Fantasy Baseball, No!

Post by headhunters » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:08 pm

well said. and that small sample size will be followed by regression. regress to what? the career averages? the last 3 years averages? the last 3 years plus this year plus a weighted factor for recent history? where does injury play into this? not caring? rhiana? choking because of a big contract?. it is early- but it gets late early around here.