Records and Record Players

DOUGHBOYS

Records and Record Players

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri May 31, 2013 9:14 am

Baseball people love to talk about records. Whether it's the 'record that'll never be broken' or 'will somebody ever hit .400 again? ' There is always some record in baseball that will be brought up if baseball folks are talking about their favorite sport.
Most brought up is Joe DiMaggio's hitting streak. Unusual, in that baseball players are admired for consistency, but it is not essential in judging the worth of a player.
A player could top DiMaggio's streak and hit below .300 during the streak. This player would be revered for possibly under performing. A little like a pitcher throwing a no-hitter and losing the game 3-0 because of wildness.

That hitting streak puts 'normal baseball fans' in the same boat as us fantasy baseball people. Everyday, they come to the ball park to see if their hitter will get a hit. The individual becomes as important, or in some cases, more important than the final score.
That fan sweats out every at bat, hoping that the hitter gives him another reason to come to tomorrow's game to go through the same process.

DiMaggio himself, had the perfect psyche for a hitting streak. He had quiet confidence, knowing he could accomplish anything he wanted on a baseball field. But even more important than that quiet confidence was the need for admiration.
DiMaggio missed more Opening Days than any other offensive Hall of Famer. A couple of years because of injury, but most of the time from holding out till the Yankees would give him more money. Some years, he was actually boo'ed by Yankee fans upon his return from a holdout.
But, it was important to DiMaggio. He felt he was the best player in baseball. Playing for the best team in baseball.
Was it arrogance?
Partly.
But arrogance too, is needed when in the middle of a hitting streak.

DiMaggio did not like being compared to anybody. But, with Ted Williams in Boston putting up the same kind of numbers as DiMaggio, comparisons were inevitable. Personally, I think both of these players may have been even more revered had Williams played at Yankee Stadium and DiMaggio at Fenway. Those parks would have been more tailor made for both. But destiny may have interfered if that had happened and one or both may have been injured or some other jinx may have struck.
DiMaggio would take some sort of comfort in knowing that besides Williams and DiMaggios exploits on the field, DiMaggio will be most remembered for Marilyn Monro,Williams, a frozen head.

Some baseball folks approach me and ask what record will never be broken. My pat answer is Cy Young winning 511 games, which of course is more because of an era than greatness of a player.
But THIS is the record I am most incredulous about and we will never see this record broken during our life times.
In fact, it also won't be broken during our kids lifetime. Or even during their kids lifetime.
Guaranteed.
You heard it right. Guaranteed.
Guaranteed, because it is a record of time.

This record has survived the steroid era and it is a home run record. This record goes unspoken by most, but has always been there.
Almost taken for granted.
And it is a record that is ongoing, even today.
The record?
Since 1920 when Babe Ruth hit 54 homers for the Yankees, the American League home run record for homers in a season has been held by a Yankee.
Babe held the record for 41 years. Roger Maris has held the record for 51 years and it doesn't look like it'll be broken this year.
That'll make 93 years covering every year of all the 'live ball' era's.
Every era since, has had a chance to break this record.
Including 1930, when over half of the hitters batted .300 or more.
And Jimmy Foxx. And Hank Greenberg. And Ted Williams.
And the modern likes of Ken Griffey' Jr.
And the pseudo power of Alex Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro, Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, and Albert Belle
But the largest threat to overtake Ruth and Maris may have been, incredibly, another Yankee.
Mickey Mantle.

Yearly records aren't near as enjoyable to follow as a day to day hitting streak. But, we're baseball people. All records hold a place for us. They are all part of this game that we love. One record may mean more to one fan then another. It is all part of the mystique and glory of our game.
It doesn't matter to us if a record is accomplished with the ease of Babe Ruth, or the coolness of Joe DiMaggio or the despair of Roger Maris.
We're baseball people and we love records.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Navel Lint

Re: Records and Record Players

Post by Navel Lint » Fri May 31, 2013 4:27 pm

I have a record for you.

I wouldn't call it my favorite record, or an unbreakable one, but it does sort of merge the singular uniqueness of a hit-streak and the inevitability of time that you note in your post.

The Cubs have recorded at least one hit in 7,554 straight games. That streak is current through today’s game and is longest such team streak in baseball history. The Cubs were last held hitless on Sept 10th, 1965; 47.5 years ago.

The second longest team hit streak all-time is also a current streak. The Reds have not been no-hit since 1971, a streak of 6,662 games.

So the Cubs streak could end at any time, and it eventually will; but when it does, the Reds will still need to get at least one hit every game for another 5.5 years before they overtake the Cubs.

I guess that will leave us plenty of time to consider the (in)significance of the “record”
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri May 31, 2013 4:40 pm

Great stuff, Russ!
Love stuff like that.
And What a game that last no-hitter was vs. the Cubs.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

viper

Post by viper » Fri May 31, 2013 8:11 pm

which Cy Young record is least likely to be beat

Wins = 511
or
Losses = 316

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri May 31, 2013 8:55 pm