Eight Hours To Six Hours

DOUGHBOYS

Eight Hours To Six Hours

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:03 am

I like drafting fast in 50 round drafts. It's a personal preference. I see no reason to keep others waiting, when knowing who I want to pick.
For guys like me, it seemingly takes forever for most others to draft. I know that a lot of it is in my mind. There is a fine line in fast/slow drafts. Some like to enjoy their time. Playing the Greg Holland or Kenley Jansen head games, before deciding on one. In a current draft, the drafter, knowing he is on the clock, steals away for two hours before making a pick. I picture him in a war room with other advisers going over a formula in who to pick. Some drafters seemingly think the more time spent picking, the better the pick will be. It just doesn't work that way.

Anyway, I do believe that the eight hour clock should be six hours. I don't think this would effect the volume of drafters. They would sign up either way. What it might do is encourage more to use the 'auto one'. I've spoken with some drafters that don't trust auto1. They tell me the draft room doesn't allow things like dashes or % in the chat, so how can they trust auto1?
It's tough telling them it's safe after that argument... But, it is.

A six hour clock would not encompass a whole daytime shift or night shift like the eight hour clock. It would provide a light at the end of the tunnel for drafters waiting on another to time out.
It would also encourage drafters to check in a little more during drafts. Drafters who are more diligent about checking in are more courteous drafters than those that don't.

The eight hour clock was devised as a plan when there was less technology. It was with the thought that a guy may be at work all day without internet access. Now, with smart phones being better, a drafter can easily keep pace during a break or lunch.
It was also a thought for sleeping hours. A six hour clock would encourage a check of the computer or phone before going to bed and awaking. Something, most of us do anyway while drafting.
Some folks have gone out of their way not to call these slow drafts. Changing the clock from eight hours to six hours would be another step in that direction.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

spitdoggy

Re: Eight Hours To Six Hours

Post by spitdoggy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:00 am

4 hours seems like plenty to me. or maybe a 2 hr, that might be fun. auto1 rules!

Roy's Outlaws

Post by Roy's Outlaws » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:21 pm

My dream slow draft would be where each drafter starts with a 24 hour clock. If you use 20 hours on your first 2 pick then you only have 4 hour left for your last 48 pick. You can't keep a draft on hold day after day because the rules say I get 8 hour per pick. When you use up your 24 hour allowance, then when your pick comes up you get 1 hour to pick or you are auto pick from your Q or the highest player on the draft board. No backing up the draft if you miss your turn ( Tough Luck). Don't know how hard this would be to program, just my dream draft. Because then I know if I get stuck with a SLOW poke, It will only be temporary, and not 4weeks of Hell.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:32 am

We need baby steps. An eight hour clock almost seems the same to 'good' drafters and 'bad' drafters alike. I would like to see personal clocks as well, but it's never going to happen. Some folks enter these drafts FOR the slowness. That is fine if they communicate why they need to draft slowly to league members.
A six hour clock is merely a step in the right direction for all parties.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:08 am

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the 6-hour clock.

If the SPIRIT of the contest is to pick at your earliest convenience once you're on the clock and the PURPOSE of the clock is to set the minimum time frame in which everyone can be reasonably expected to check, then 8 hours is more reasonable than six.

The accepted work-day is 8 hours. Breaks/lunch hour etc -- if a pick is made just as one "punches in" then there should be a window before "punching out" that one can check, but if not, the clock should cover the whole time. Meetings, conferences, emergencies, etc may interfere with a pick on occasion. Eight hours could even be a little light.

The accepted sleep-time is 8 hours. We can make all the jokes about who gets 8 hours these days, but when you factor in there is some lag between turning off your PC and actually hitting the hay and waking up and turning on the PC, that eats into that 8-hour window. If you actually do sleep for 8 hours, the clock again may be a little light.

Then there's what I call the traffic light principle.

You know the guy that weaves in and out of traffic always looking for the clear lane? I can't tell you how many times I see this then end up idling next to the same guy at the next traffic light.

There are always events that sync up time regardless of what transpired before.

There are going to be picks that are going to be made at the same time regardless of how quickly the previous picks were made. Sure, occasionally you make the light and seem to be making up time. But eventually you're going to hit a light you would have hit irrespective of all previous events.

Regardless if the clock is 6 or 8 hours, there are going to be some "traffic light" picks that sync up the draft so that it ends up ending the same time either way.

Why take the chance of a 6-hour clock expiring during an emergency meeting or overnight, when the draft's time will be the same either way?

Just one man's perspective.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE