THAT, Will Be Enough

DOUGHBOYS

THAT, Will Be Enough

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:43 pm

These Draft Championship leagues are so fun and amusing. For the guy like me, that has baseball on his mind 24/7, it helps make the days without baseball season pass quicker. Our minds are constantly engaged in who to pick next.
Pitcher or hitter?
Power or speed?
Positionality or prospect?

Some play many of these Draft Championships to try out 'new' strategies. Some will stick to those strategies even though the draft inhibits their original line of thinking. Others abandon their strategy, letting the draft dictate the right roads in which to travel.
Draft Championships are where some build a team with five catchers playing five positions.
Or three shortstops in the first three picks.
Or five outfielders in the first five picks.
Or pitchers. Lots of pitchers.
Or hitters. Lots of hitters.
Or Matt Carpenter, Martin Prado, and Ben Zobrist in playing the flex offense.
All these teams get lost in the abyss once the season begins.

We seldom hear of a drafter winning leagues with odd strategies. They've been used in the past and they'll be used in the future. Mostly by inferior players who want to prove their worthiness to other drafters or to himself. In short, it is much like the kid on the playground looking at his Mom, yelling, "Hey Ma, Look at me!" Attention is more desirable than results.
In the course of trying to prove just how smart these drafters are, they are met with a few posts disagreeing with their thoughts. The majority, post nothing, roll their eyes, and dismiss these teams along with like teams from the past, who thought that chicanery may beat balance for Overall competitiveness.

There have been hundreds of Main Event winners over the past 10 years. I'm trying to think of even one, besides Gekko, who says, "Look at me!"
Either with a off the wall drafting style or posting style.
I can't.
And Gekko gets a pass. There is not one NFBC player who does not respect Mark's game. Say anything about him that you want, I don't care and he doesn't care, but his game is top notch. He does not use his style of drafting as a tool to say, "Look at me!"
His style is that of study, study, study, draft well, misdirecting posts, and then let others know just how well he drafted. AFTER THE SEASON.
A player who wants drafters to notice him DURING drafting season is different altogether.

The Main Event is not to be compared to Draft Championships. Different methods can be used or tried in a Draft Championship. Pissing away $150, acceptable. Pissing away $1600, not so much.
At the same time, I like to think that future Main Event winners could come from Draft Championships.
And I've noticed some damned good drafters in these same Championships.
They're quiet. As are past Main Event winners. They won't blow their own horns. They don't need to.
The lesser players will do that.

The player that will toot his own horn will not blame himself or strategy when the season begins, and his plans go awry.
It won't be his fault.
He is always right. Even when wrong.
He'll think that the Overall winner had an 'easier league' or that things were just luckier for the winner.
He may even post these views.
It'll be another chance to say, "Look at me!"
At the same time, those who drafted balanced teams, drafters who have done their countless hours of study and homework will be rewarded. Teams drafted by this silent majority will be winning leagues and cashing checks. They won't post that they won their league. Probably won't even mention that they did well.
They may allow themselves a mental 'attaboy'.
THAT, will be enough.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

BK METS

Re: THAT, Will Be Enough

Post by BK METS » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:01 pm

Amen

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:37 pm

I did win the only league were I held off on SP till round 11. LOL

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:26 pm

The next time one of the idiots in DC53 blow their horn again in the Message Board (and there are about 4 of them), I'll re-read this post. Excellent.
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Gekko wrote:I did win the only league were I held off on SP till round 11. LOL
The big difference with you Mark is, there is a method to your madness. You actually have a plan.

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:39 pm

Damn, I thought he was talking about Ron Shandler!

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:03 am

Man, you guys just go nuts if someone does things differently than you or doesn't comply to what you believe.

At the poker table, when we see a novice show up and bet crazy with lousy cards we shake our heads when he wins and smile knowingly when he (very often) loses.

I'd think y'all would be thrilled to see the "apparent" dead money drafter in your league making all the mistakes you've spelled out here. But no, you bitch about it instead.

It's been suggested to me that maybe the reason Alan didn't like me hoarding SB in DC1 was that it meant everyone else's team had little chance of winning the overall with only a low SB potential. But when I said that in chat I was told that idea was stupid.

Mr Greenberg insists that his distain for me stems from me not showing proper respect for he and other "winners" who have come before me and posting things in the forum that he either doesn't understand or doesn't agree with. He called me an idiot (I can handle that) but also called another manager an idiot in the draft chat room. For that reason I sarcastically called him "a classy guy" after which Dan and at least one other guy jumped all over me saying how they've met Alan and he's a really nice guy.

I've been trying out various draft strategies in these cheap DC leagues simply because it's fun and when there's no FAAB you really never know how the season will unfold.

If I wanted to be a stick in the mud and draft "the way I'm supposed to" then I'd spend my money on more ME entries and leave my strategy for FAAB rather than the draft.

I welcome all the potential trash talk I've earned once the strategies fail. Bitching like you are now makes you sound petty and closed minded.

So keep up the crusade against Deadheadz and anyone like him who signs up for NFBC as it continues to grow. Your country club is letting "them" in now.

Time to start lobbying for a private forum and even higher entry fee leagues. Gotta keep "them" out.

Thinking Outside The Box is the American Way.
Why do you hate it so much?
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:44 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote: There have been hundreds of Main Event winners over the past 10 years. I'm trying to think of even one, besides Gekko, who says, "Look at me!"
Either with a off the wall drafting style or posting style.

The player that will toot his own horn will not blame himself or strategy when the season begins, and his plans go awry.
It won't be his fault.

He is always right. Even when wrong.
That may be true about others but not me. I own my choices. I don't make excuses for my performance. Yes, I'll tell you when I didn't get a player I wanted but how's that an excuse?
You won't see me crying repeatedly how I missed cashing because I managed my team so poorly I finished the season 1/3 of an inning short of the minimum.

Heck, I've owned the fact that I waived Bartolo Colon and Kyle Seager after less than a month into the 2013 season. Big mistakes. No excuses.
DOUGHBOYS wrote: He'll think that the Overall winner had an 'easier league' or that things were just luckier for the winner.
He may even post these views.
It'll be another chance to say, "Look at me!"
At the same time, those who drafted balanced teams, drafters who have done their countless hours of study and homework will be rewarded. Teams drafted by this silent majority will be winning leagues and cashing checks. They won't post that they won their league. Probably won't even mention that they did well.
They may allow themselves a mental 'attaboy'.
THAT, will be enough.
You explaining all this really looks like YOU'RE the one saying "I'm so smart for telling you what's going on with this guy."
Hey maybe NFBC will give me my own forum named after me..."look at me!"

Hey, you've given me an idea for my team name. Thanks Dan!
Last edited by Deadheadz on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:51 am

Dan - this auction might be as explosive as the contract league auction!!!!!!!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:52 am

Deadheadz, I suppose all that is fair.
This post was not only directed at you. Although, I must admit that a few of things done by you were included in this post.
I also think it is fair that we have a 'country club'. We don't, but it's fair that you think it.
The NFBC is bred on 'Live' drafts'. Most of the veterans have drafted in these live drafts and through these and other means, a lot of us have gotten to know each other on a 'friends' basis.
There were hundreds of drafters at the Main Event at the Bellagio last year. Every one of them glad they came. Every one of them got along with others. Every one respectful of each others drafting skills.
If this is what you call a country club, so be it.

Online drafting and posting is different. There is much more chest thumping online.
Why?
Because in the back of minds, some think 'I can say anything I want'. It is easier to tap keys and read a monitor than say some things to a person's face. It is just human nature.
Your strategies that I used in the post have been used before you and they'll be used after you.

The NFBC is the cream of the crop of fantasy players. NFBC players have won Yahoo, ESPN, and home leagues before coming here and winning.
The original post was not solely directed at you. DC players are tooting their own horns before earning their bones with the NFBC.
These players have not won a thing, but already have the NFBC by the balls in their own minds. I get being cocky. I was cocky once.
At the same time, seeing serious problems with a players roster, then hearing him crow that he's as good of player as ANYBODY in the NFBC gets my dander up.
It ranks right up there with a kid barging into a real Clubhouse and yelling that he's as good as Tiger Woods. That kid will draw rolls of eyes, snickers, and get others riled. He'll leave having gotten no respect.
Fantasy baseball has a way of humbling players. Especially at this level. This needs to happen to a few of those players.

Respect is earned. It is that way in every facet of life.
It's no different here.
Respect is earned in what is put into this game. It is also earned in winning this game at the highest level.
If you want to call that a 'country club', so be it.
If so, I'm betting that every drafter wants to be in the club.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:15 am

Respect is earned but disrespect is free for anyone who "asks for it?"

Let me apologize for appearing to be trying to take the spotlight away from those who feel they deserve it more.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:30 am

Deadheadz wrote:
You won't see me crying repeatedly how I missed cashing because I managed my team so poorly I finished the season 1/3 of an inning short of the minimum.
Interesting

Money

Post by Money » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:41 am

BK METS wrote:
Deadheadz wrote:
Interesting
:D
Joe

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:50 am

Deadheadz wrote:Man, you guys just go nuts if someone does things differently than you or doesn't comply to what you believe.

At the poker table, when we see a novice show up and bet crazy with lousy cards we shake our heads when he wins and smile knowingly when he (very often) loses.

I'd think y'all would be thrilled to see the "apparent" dead money drafter in your league making all the mistakes you've spelled out here. But no, you bitch about it instead.

It's been suggested to me that maybe the reason Alan didn't like me hoarding SB in DC1 was that it meant everyone else's team had little chance of winning the overall with only a low SB potential. But when I said that in chat I was told that idea was stupid.

Mr Greenberg insists that his distain for me stems from me not showing proper respect for he and other "winners" who have come before me and posting things in the forum that he either doesn't understand or doesn't agree with. He called me an idiot (I can handle that) but also called another manager an idiot in the draft chat room. For that reason I sarcastically called him "a classy guy" after which Dan and at least one other guy jumped all over me saying how they've met Alan and he's a really nice guy.

I've been trying out various draft strategies in these cheap DC leagues simply because it's fun and when there's no FAAB you really never know how the season will unfold.

If I wanted to be a stick in the mud and draft "the way I'm supposed to" then I'd spend my money on more ME entries and leave my strategy for FAAB rather than the draft.

I welcome all the potential trash talk I've earned once the strategies fail. Bitching like you are now makes you sound petty and closed minded.

So keep up the crusade against Deadheadz and anyone like him who signs up for NFBC as it continues to grow. Your country club is letting "them" in now.

Time to start lobbying for a private forum and even higher entry fee leagues. Gotta keep "them" out.

Thinking Outside The Box is the American Way.
Why do you hate it so much?
You have brought up me calling someone an idiot in DC 1 about 5 times now. I apologized to that specific person after the draft and we are good. It was a misunderstanding and I was wrong. As far as you are concerned, I wrote the "Who Shot Deadheadz" column in fun, but it was to illustrate that many people have similar views of your antics. Not necessarily those mentioned in the column, but as in a "who done it" mystery, many have the same feelings. I called you an idiot because you are one and continue to talk.

Many have used different strategies in the DCs as preparation or a tryout to see if they may work. I have never had an issue with you doing that. Why would I ? If you want to throw away $150, go right ahead. My issues with you have nothing to do with that. I actually think that part is rather amusing. I believe many have the same feeling about you and I am one of the only ones that expresses it. Many people don't like me as well and I am fine with that. The fact that you seem to criticize and pick a fight with nearly everyone on the boards is a product of who you are. You obviously love to talk, but in return, cant seem to handle the heat.

I personally think you are a prick... and until it is proven otherwise, you remain one. Not that my opinion of you means anything to anyone.

I am done with all of this. You aren't worth my time. Dan, "time wasted". Lets move on...

Money

Post by Money » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:56 am

Veterans, Respect, Country Club, etc. etc. etc.

This has been a well traveled road and will remain that way as long as the NFBC continues to flourish. It's a legitimate discussion and one that plays out while the faithful await the start of the season. Anyone traveling one side of this road typically travels it alone.

As we enter a new season I find that there is not really a right or a wrong to this, simply opinions. Differing opinions and potential conflicts make the NFBC world go round. Not everyone gets along here and that's ok, and trust me not everyone embraces each other in Vegas. Most seek out and bond with those they choose too and have gotten to know from previous years or on the boards here. There is certainly not enough time to get to know everyone.

There is more than one way to win at this game. Creativity and thinking outside of the box is one way to create an edge that leads to success. Unfortunately we all have to take our lumps as we formulate different game plans from season to season. The conversation that it creates helps us get through to draft day.

The clock is ticking, we're getting there, It's time for Mr. Lowy to start up his countdown thread. 8-)

edit: I posted this prior to seeing BK's comments. I guess it's turned personal, unfortunately I've been there before, I'll stay out of it at this point.
Joe

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:59 pm

Dan,
Dump the on line drafts. Come back to Las Vegas for the second weekend for the main event. You know down in your heart that you want to! I'll be there with the gang. Hoping you can make it! :D

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:02 pm

BK Mets, Please sign up for the main event in Las Vegas. Please!!!! Maybe just Maybe I get you in my league! :D :D :D

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:23 pm

Walla Walla wrote:BK Mets, Please sign up for the main event in Las Vegas. Please!!!! Maybe just Maybe I get you in my league! :D :D :D
I am already there, my friend. 2nd weekend. :D

Dak

Post by Dak » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:42 pm

I've not met either Greenberg or Deadheadz..........but I do believe they are BOTH pricks. Say it to each other's face, morons!
You're both right and both wrong at the same time. Dead ...don't rile the establishment and BK.........you ARE part of the "clubhouse"!

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:49 pm

Dak wrote:I've not met either Greenberg or Deadheadz..........but I do believe they are BOTH pricks. Say it to each other's face, morons!
You're both right and both wrong at the same time. Dead ...don't rile the establishment and BK.........you ARE part of the "clubhouse"!
Ha! I actually agree with you! :D

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Money wrote: The clock is ticking, we're getting there, It's time for Mr. Lowy to start up his countdown thread. 8-)
Interesting timing on your request Mr. Berg, because today just happens to be......

.....days until the first live drafts and auctions of the 2014 NFBC. :D

I cannot wait!!

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:17 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
Money wrote: The clock is ticking, we're getting there, It's time for Mr. Lowy to start up his countdown thread. 8-)
Interesting timing on your request Mr. Berg, because today just happens to be......

.....days until the first live drafts and auctions of the 2014 NFBC. :D

I cannot wait!!
Starting the countdown with the best :D .... and as said in the SECOND best post game interview of all time... "CANT WAIT!"

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:26 pm

BK METS wrote:
You have brought up me calling someone an idiot in DC 1 about 5 times now. I apologized to that specific person after the draft and we are good.
I point to your name calling behavior to demonstrate that you are not the "nice guy" people claim you are. Nice guys don't make a habit of treating others poorly. I'm told I need to earn the respect of those I'm competing against. They rightfully respect you for your accomplishments yet give you a pass on being rude at times.

On Sep 29 Alan agreed with Outlaw there should be no name calling:
BK METS wrote:
Outlaw wrote:Opinions should be respected. The thing I dislike the most about these boards is the name calling. It's probably a big reason over the past 3 years less and less people post. Joe and KJ are execllent Fantasy players and both offer a lot to the NFBC and offer and write some good stuff. Bottom line, disagree, but no name calling or any semblence of personnal attacks.
I agree and I never agree with you!!! See, there is hope for these boards :D
Yet Alan is one of those who comes up with terms like "idiot" and "prick" to describe those he doesn't like or agree with.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Money

Post by Money » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:28 pm

Unknown.jpg
/Users/jb/Desktop/Unknown.jpg
Unknown.jpg (8.31 KiB) Viewed 5564 times
Come on Glenn, you can do this!! Start a thread. I'll help with this one. Where are you drafting this Met? :?
Joe

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:38 pm

Money wrote:
Unknown.jpg
Come on Glenn, you can do this!! Start a thread. I'll help with this one. Where are you drafting this Met? :?
Not this year my friend. When I started from 100 two seasons ago, coming up with that many matches and themes ended up being a much bigger undertaking than I imagined when I started. By the time I reached one, I had pretty much exhausted every baseball, fantasy baseball, and NFBC thought I had. It would just be redundant for me to do it again. We need someone else with a fresh approach to carry the torch this year.

I've got an idea of who'd be perfect....... ;)