All-American City team

Head 2 Head

All-American City team

Post by Head 2 Head » Tue May 20, 2014 11:17 am

Seems like a Doughboys' daily stuff topic :?:

Every time Al Albuquerque comes into a game, I'm tempted to put together my all American city name team. So here goes...
OF- Juan Pierre (South Dakota)
OF- Daryl Boston (Mass)
OF- Oscar Charleston (SC and Negro League HOFer)
1B- Juan Francisco (Wherever he's playing this year)
2B- Ray Durham (NC or NH, take tour pick)
SS- Ron Washington (DC)
3B- Mike Lansing (MI)
C- Tyler Houston (TX)
SP- Reggie Cleveland (Ohio)
RP- Al Albuquerque (who else?)
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill

DOUGHBOYS

Re: All-American City team

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue May 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Perfect!
Love this stuff!

There was a guy in the 60's. His name was Denver LeMaster.
It was shortened to Denny.
Which makes me think of the Food Chain of Denny's Restaurants and, of course, their 'Moon over My Hammy', which makes me think of both Miami and hamstring injuries.....and Joe Pignatano.
Rick Austin saw little Major League time. Austin Powers was much more of a celebrity. Steve Austin was a six million dollar man long before baseball players were.
There was Steve Phoenix who also had more famous namesakes in River and Joaquin. Ummm, Joaquin Andujar was a pretty good pitcher and Mickey Rivers was a PITA.
Jose Mesa's nickname was Jose Table. Makes me think of Jim Davenport.
Dallas Braden threw a no hitter and also threw a fit when ARod came near 'HIS' mound. I have to admit, I like the cahones (city in Mexico?) of any pitcher that rips Alex. By the way, Alex Stone was Donna Reed's husband on the 'Donna Reed Show'.
He was no relation to Steve Stone, one of my favorite analysts.
Rocky Bridges was a pitcher. It's not a place, but should be.
Lloyd Bridges starred in 'Sea Hunt' and 'Airplane'.
Ron Hunt wore a wet suit beneath his uniform top to take the sting out of getting hit with pitches.
If you're ever in a theatre, and you're a trouble maker, ask for an usher to page 'Mike Hunt''. Always a chuckle.

'Orlando' Cepeda is in the Hall of Fame. Orlando Merced is not. Orlando Merced has two cities in his name. Cepeda just one.
I'd rather be in the Hall of Fame though.
Travis Wood is an Air Force base and sexual ornament in one.
Rudy (New) York is hardly ever mentioned among great hitters. He could hit. A lot better than that Rudy who went to Notre Dame.
Rollie Fingers is a city name. Just mis-spelled, it's in North Carolina.
Rick Monday wanted to start a days of the week player.
A football player named Jeff Saturday joined him. Then, Tuesday Weld got mad saying she actually started it.
By the way, John and Morticia's daughters name was Wednesday....HEY! IT'S A LOT BETTER THAN PUGGSLY!!
They should all go out and get a Sundae.

Am I the only one waiting for Billy Hamilton to face Beachy? The Hamilton Beachy match-up makes me laugh.
Younger readers won't get that.
Dave 'Castro' Valle. Does that count? Nah, it's like Rudy York.
Benito Santiago was the capitol of Chile.
Which makes me think of the Food Chain 'Chili's'. I don't know why. I hardly go there.
But Chili Davis was a pretty good hitter who is on a lot of all-time switch hitter lists.
And Davis, California counts.
Unlike Cal Ripken.
Mike Lansing hit for the cycle, but did not go to Michigan. Unless playing the Tigers.
He was before Austin Jackson's time though, another two-city name.

If the Dead End Kids married Huston Street, their name would be Dead End Street.
Never mind.
I thought a Spahn-Salmon battle would have been amusing too.
My favorite real battery was Veale-Pagliaroni...it just sounds like something they should have at Chili's.
JT Snow, Tim Raines, Sunny Jackson, Gene Freeze, Champ Summers, David Hale....Alan Hale was the 'Skipper' on Gilligans Island.
Bob Denver, the star.
And we are back to where I started.......
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Tue May 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Jose Mesa's nickname was Jose Table

actually Joe Table - have to translate both names

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri May 23, 2014 12:25 pm

Aa afternoon with a friend not near as much into baseball as I.
Sometimes I wonder why he hangs out with me......

Wanna Coke?
"Phil Coke?"
Really? I can't ask if you want a drink without it turning to baseball?
"You should have asked if I wanted a Pepsi."
"Hey, do you remember Pumpsie Green?"
No.
"One of the first black players. I think he may have been the Red Sox first black player. There were no black people living by me growing up, so my first introduction to black folks was baseball cards.
Speaking of black, do you wanna freakin Pepsi?
"In looking back, I think those baseball card companies were a little anti-black, like a lot of folks were in the fifties and sixties.
It seemed like they hardly ever showed them smiling. And if they did, they'd look a little goofy. I remember those black players because I would try to collect every card.
Minnie Minoso, Jake Wood, Jim Gilliam, Gates Brown...
I'd bet they would give a straight answer if asked about a drink....
"Forget the drink, let's wait till it's two, then we'll go to Sonic for half priced drinks."
You're a cheap sombitch. If somebody was dying of thirst, you'd tell 'em to wait till two o'clock.
"I'm not cheap! I'll pay!"
Yeah, after two.

"Did you know that Babe Ruth was refuted to be part black?"
I'm getting a 7-up at Sonic to get you off this black player jag.
"That's what the Cubs were hollerin' at him when he supposedly pointed at Center Field for his 'called home run. They were calling him the 'N' word and big lips. I don't know for sure if Ruth was black though, so he wouldn't make my all-black team."
Alright, let me have the all-black team.
"Catcher, Roy Campanella. But heard Josh Gibson was really the best. But, I've got to keep it to Major League players.
First Base, McCovey with Stargell being close....I sure liked Donn Clendennon baseball cards though. All those N's were cool."
Yeah, who doesn't like 15 N's? :roll:
"Second base, Joe Morgan. Amazing player. Crappy broadcaster. Rod Carew too. Rod the God was incredible
Third base, Richie Allen. Jim Ray Hart would have been there too, but getting hit in the head ruined his career. There are not many great black 3b's. Bill Madlock was a good hitter too.
Shortstop, Maury Wills. Greatest PITA who ever lived. Wills is a personal choice. There are prbably better choices than Wills, but it's my team.
Outfield is easy. Aaron, Mays, and Robinson. I liked others like Willie Horton, Lou Brock, Vada Pinson, and Curt Flood, but those three, those three were awesome.
Pitching, Bob Gibson.
Satchell Paige and others would be thoughts, but if I had to win a game, Gibson would be the guy. The most entertaining was J.R. Richard. Like Hart, his candle burned too short. He could have been one of the best.

Let's go to Sonic.
"It's two o'clock already?"
Yeah, you've been yammering about black players for the last couple of hours....shuddup already, and let's go!
"I've gotta come up with a post for the Message Boards, any ideas?"
You're sick.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!