Why isn't there an 'Overdog?'

DOUGHBOYS

Why isn't there an 'Overdog?'

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:07 am

I found myself rooting for the Kansas City Royals to beat the Detroit Tigers during their three game series this week. I don't know whether it was because I like a good underdog or have a lot of friends that are Royals fans.
Most, including those Royals fans, think I hate the Royals.
I don't.
What I do believe is that Dayton Moore has led Royals fans down a road that is unforgivable for a GM. He has peddled hope more than substance.
And, I've let that belief be known here, as well as to my Royal fan buddies.
The Royals won their game with the Tigers last night and I got an ear full of "How do you like my Royals now?" from one of their rooters.
The Royals remain the same team to me. And I write this now, before knowing their playoff fate. They remain without a real leader. Their starting pitching has held together better than most years, but guys like Guthrie and Vargas are as hittable as it gets. And Ventura would be shut down if KC were not in a race.
Their real strength, as last year, is their bullpen.

Pirate fans were ecstatic about even making the playoffs last year. I can see Royals fans being the same way this year. If making the playoffs, I can also see Royals ownership giving Moore a new contract.
To me, I think this would retard KC's future growth. Moore built with bad teams and good draft picks. He was right on most picks. Otherwise, his management has been abysmal.
Whether making the playoffs or not, I certainly don't think he deserves a new contract. I feel a better GM in his shoes, would have already made a Kansas City a yearly contender. A team with some veteran playoff leadership. Not, a one year hoper.

Since detailing my dislike for Moore's job as GM, he has been surpassed in ineptitude by other organizations.
The Rockies, the Phillies, the Padres, and Diamondbacks.
The Rockies and Phillies Management have exceeded Moore's mishandling of his job by leaps and bounds. While Moore has Elmer Fudd'ed his way, he has done no real harm to the Kansas City franchise.
Rockies and Phillies Managements may be doing irrepairable harm to their organizations for the next few years.
Phillies fans are smart. They know the level of play has decreased and attendance has dropped with that level of play.
Rockies and Royals fans don't have Phils history.
Or, their expectations.
They mostly go to a Rockies or Royals game to see a ball game, not a pennant contender.

I asked my Royals buddy, "If the Royals make the playoffs and lose the play-in game...
1. Would you be happy with the Royals year?
2. Would you give Yost and Moore new contracts?
The answer to both questions was 'yes'.
I understand 1.
For the life of me, I can't understand 2.
Still, I'll root for the Royals. They're an underdog.
And if making the playoffs and re-signing management, they will continue in that underdog role for long time.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!