Matt Williams

DOUGHBOYS

Matt Williams

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:04 am

I like Matt Williams. I liked him as a player. He was a no-nonsense type player. Nose to the grindstone player who could mash.
His teammates loved him and it was no surprise that he chose the coaching path after his playing days were over.

As a Manager, he was quite refreshing in his honesty. For a fantasy player, he was great. He let folks know when somebody was hurt and even when he thought a player needed a rest, he would let us, Joe Public, know well in advance.
As far as Managing the Washington Nationals, was he a good Manager?
No.
He, most likely, had the best talent in the NL East and did not make the playoffs.
And whether it was because of not managing his players well on the field or not controlling them off, it doesn't matter.
The Nationals, by any stretch, were an epic fail

I like Matt Williams, but he had to go. Being honest and a good Manager for Fantasy folks is not good enough.
The clincher was the Papelbon-Harper incident.
Williams claimed he didn't know what happened.
I believe him.
But, even when informed about the tussle, he still sent Papelbon out for the ninth inning.
Later, when asked why he still sent Papelbon out for the ninth inning, his response was, "He's our Closer!"
Williams did not grasp the larger problem.
He was a little like a husband coming home for lunch only to find his wife in the arms of another man.
He asks her to fix his lunch because she is still his wife.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!