Spring Training

DOUGHBOYS

Spring Training

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:53 am

Some writers tell us to not pay too much attention to Spring Training.
It is so easy to make a general comment like this.
Just what are we not supposed to pay attention to?
If AJ Pierzynski hits 10 home runs in Spring, I believe most of us are smart enough not to move him up with the upper echelon of catchers.
At the same time, instead of being 22nd on a list of catchers, he may move up to 19 or 20.
Everything means something in fantasy baseball. Even Spring Training.
Maybe even, ESPECIALLY Spring Training.

Are we supposed to disregard Juan Nicasio?
Nicasio dominated in Spring Training.
He went into Spring, hoping for any job and came out of Spring as part of the Pirates rotation.
He impressed his team and who many consider the best pitching coach in baseball enough to be in that rotation.
WE HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION!
Nicasio moved up draft boards with each outing.
Going from not draftable to a hot commodity.
Is it the right thing for us to expect continued good outings?
We'll soon find out.

Trevor Story won the shortstop job in Colorado.
I don't know what is to become of Jose Reyes. As I've written before, I doubt he'll see another pitch as a member of the Rockies. Reyes seems to have a welcome that wears out fast.
He's running out of those welcomes and his law problems won't help him.
Story moved up from being taken in rounds 30 to 50 in Draft Championships to rounds 12 to 18 in Main Events.
Reyes has gone from being taken in single digit rounds to 20-something rounds.

Ken Giles started Spring Training with the Astros with no competition for the Closer job. Luke Gregerson was hurt.
All Giles had to do was be Ken Giles.
Instead, he was Carlos Marmol.
A pitcher that Houston Management began to not trust. When Gregerson came back from his injury, he threw like Luke Gregerson.
Reliable.
As fantasy players, we believe that stuff and strength of arm trumps all.
In real baseball, TRUST trumps both.
Right now, the Astros trust Gregerson, not Giles.
And that mistrust was manifested during Spring Training.
Giles will have to regain that trust by pitching well in regular season games in order to get the Closer gig.

It was a foregone conclusion that Pablo Sandoval would be the Red Sox third baseman.
Nope.
That Rusney Castillo would be the Red Sox left fielder....
Nope.
Goeddel, Naquin, Rickard...
Aaron Sanchez leaped from obscurity to be a teens/rounds pick.
Mike Leake made a leap.
Even an old veteran like Robinson Cano leapt from the fifth round to the third round, bolstered by a great Spring.

This Spring was a learning experience.
If not paying too much attention, we probably did a disservice to both our study and our drafting of rosters.
It once was said that Spring Training does not matter.
For fantasy baseball, that is simply not true.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

EA Sports

Re: Spring Training

Post by EA Sports » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:29 am

I don't remember anybody in recent memory that went from undrafted in draft champion leagues to a hot commodity during the main event more than Nicasio did this year. Ray Searage is the man.
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win" - Bobby Knight

Yah Mule

Re: Spring Training

Post by Yah Mule » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:53 pm

Scott Kazmir's ADP slid steadily as poor outings and reports of diminished velocity were the story of his preseason. So far tonight, he's allowed an infield single to Spangenberg through six innings. Everybody who took him when his value was deflated is smiling tonight.

James Sheilds fans are probably disappointed in his outing in that game, but his defense did him no favors. John Jay, brought in to shore up a miserable outfield defense, misplayed two flyballs into extra base hits in the fourth inning. Matt Kemp nearly turned a Justin Turner line drive into a triple in the same inning.