Regression 1, Progression 0

DOUGHBOYS

Regression 1, Progression 0

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:31 am

I don't believe in 'regression' in a baseball sense.
We see the word a lot when a player plays over his head for a period of time.
I laugh out loud when a person of brilliance prints a blurb that Trevor Story is due for regression.
First, no shit?
But really, he is just hot, white hot.
It's a streak.
A streak that Story owners pat themselves on the back for during the streak.
They know it won't last.
Everyone knows it won't last.

Shandler expected regression from Mike Trout, even after a year's worth of stats.
And after a poor first month (like now) from Trout, he proclaimed that he was right.
After doing so, Trout played like Trout and figuratively told Shandler to 'shove it'.
Regression is a favorite word for the younger, less established players.
Some write that we can expect regression from Hazelbaker and Tyler White. Even after Trout and then Carlos Correa showed everybody that a kid can come up and dominate at the highest level, the kneejerk reaction is to play the regression card.
By the way, did you notice that not many played the regression card with Correa?
Before Trout, I believe there would have been a lot more naysayers.
Hazelbaker and White, along with Story are hot hitters. Only the elite players are capable of staying hot for most of a season. The word 'regression' has become a bucket of water for writers in putting out the players firy streak.

At the same time, 'progression' is never used.
Joey Votto has walked less than Miguel Sano and Randall Grichuk. He's struck out more than Jorge Soler.
That won't keep up.
Even I know that Votto has just started the season coolish.
Progression is on the way!
But we never see that.
Votto is a veteran player. We all know of his capabilities. Since we all know, writers do not print that Votto is expected to see better times.
Rather, they pick on the young and less traveled with the 'r' word.

Of course, as fantasy players in the year long game, the words progression or regression help nobody.
Our game is played week to week.
We play Votto every week in hopes that THIS will be the week that he breaks from his funk.
We'll also play Story, Hazelbaker, and White because they are hot.
Next week, Hazelbaker may be benched because his streak has cooled.
In week to week play, that is what it is, a streak.
We leave it for others to call it regression.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!