New Rules, Once Twice and Bryce

DOUGHBOYS

New Rules, Once Twice and Bryce

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue May 03, 2016 11:07 am

Back in the day, even as recent as last year, I've suggested rule changes for the NFBC.
I feel that as baseball evolves, our game must follow.
So now we have twice-a-week moves for hitters to match most series in baseball and other changes that have made our game better.
I wish we could have pitchers for different series too, but two groups are against this.
The first group are DAS (Drafters Against Streaming).
I fully understand this concern but feel there is a workaround that can be implemented to lessen the streaming blow.
The second group is the Traditionalist Party (Hey, it's an election year, why not?)
These folks have suffered with two start pitchers, no matter the teams played and do not want change, because that's the way its been and that's the way it'll be!
Like said, I have given up asking for changes because it is all rendered moot, in that changes would have to come from Cousin IT and if there's one thing that DAS, the Traditionalist Party, and I can agree on, it is lack of faith in Cousin IT.

I do believe that pitching will evolve at the major League level. Some teams have gone stretches of using a six man rotation. Already this year, a pitcher has been called up in order to give a five man staff an extra day off.
Six man rotations are coming in one form or another.
Player agents want it. Pitchers want it. Managers want it.
The only resistance is coming from owners. They know that payroll increases with another anointed Starter.
Still, the writing is on the wall and they know it.

There will also be a roster increase to accommodate the change.
Already, rosters increase to 26 for doubleheader make up games. Easing into a 26 man squad, so that Managers can still play their match-ups. Next year is a contract year for MLB and its players. It may be instituted as soon as then.

I can see other changes way off in the distance as well.
Seven inning games, instead of nine (Blasphemus!)
DH's for both leagues (Ugh!)
Computer's calling strikes (can't wait to see those arguments)
Expansion to other countries (talk about a road trip)
And my favorite, the first female baseball player.
This list makes the sixth pitcher and extra roster spot look tame. Eventually though, I believe they will all happen.

As for baseball now, I believe it has become more regimented.
Few calls are argued. Just a lot of pointing to the dugout to review a play.
Bench clearing brawls are diminishing.
I always thought there was a place for these.
Especially in today's game. Players are more streamlined today. That promotes a sameness to every game.
Believe me, if I'm the Manager of the Houston Astros or New York Yankees, I might HOPE for Carlos Gomez to rush the mound after an inside pitch or even ASK Chase Headley or another veteran to start something on the field to light a fire under the Yankees ass.
Old timer Managers did it. I doubt that these Managers even think that way now.

I miss rivalries. The press tries to make rivalries, when almost non-existent.
The Giants and Dodgers of the 50's REALLY did hate each other.
There were several fights and threats from opposing players knocking on locker room doors, challenging a player or Manager to come from the locker room. Sometimes the player or Manager would emerge and they would duke it out.
Now, the press makes a big to do about an upcoming Red Sox-Yankees series, all this while players from both teams are amiably chatting with each other before a game.
Ugh.

One last thing.
Bryce Harper says he wants to make baseball fun again. He even had some Trumpish hats on during interviews stating that point of view.
What exactly is that?
Hitting a home run and having the right to admire that home run? Bat flipping?
That's not fun for me. It's not fun for the pitcher. It's not fun for his team.
IT'S FUN FOR BRYCE HARPER.
Have your fun.
It'll last nine batters.
Unwritten rules are sometimes the best rules.
What would be more fun for me is players having the fundamental ability to lay down a bunt.
Once thought a simple task, now most baseball players can't do it.
Shifts are employeed, knowing that players cannot, because of lack of practice or will not because of muy ego, lay down a bunt to bust the shift.
FUN would be seeing more players without a k/bb/hr as a hitters only resume.
Fun would be a relay throw instead of an outfielder trying to make highlight reels with a 1 in a 1,000 trow from deep in the outfield.
That throw does make the highlight reel. The other 999, forgotten.
FUN would be a Giant or Dodger hating somebody only because the other is not a Giant or Dodger.
Making baseball fun again?
That means different things to different folks.
Your idea of baseball fun in no way resembles mine, Bryce.

Stepping down...folding up soap box...so long
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!