The NFL

DOUGHBOYS

The NFL

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:20 am

Football ratings are dropping.
Gee.
Didn't see that coming.
That. of course, is sarcasm.
Look at football from a non-fan point of view....
There are movies and news accounts of how the NFL ignored concussion problems.
To make things worse, they have now championed 'concussion awareness' at every turn.
It's like baseball with Jackie Robinson. He was treated badly, so they now make sure to include Robinson's name any way they can.
It's not a bad thing I guess, but screwing up and then going overboard in the other direction is off putting at the least.

Non football fans also hear about Josh Brown and Ray Rice. And whatever punishment the league hands out is wrong.
Just ask the media.
For some reason, a lot of people want these abusers to be tied to the stake.
Have you read your local police blog?
There are guys like this in Anywhere, USA.
Still, the NFL takes the black eye because it is so public.

While non-fans are thinking about how to fry the abusers, another problem comes up.
Colin Kaepernick.
"In respecting such American principles as freedom of religion and freedom of expression, we recognize the right of an individual to choose to participate, or not, in our celebration of the national anthem."
That was the 49ers 'official' statement after Kaepernick sat down for the National Anthem.
Crazy.
I know many, many people who swore off the NFL after this act.
Yet, the NFL goes all politically correct on us in defending 'his cause'.
Then some other 'followers' do the same thing.
And that is followed with similar statements of political correctness.
I know we're in a letigious society. An ass-covering world.
But, wouldn't have been more pleasant to hear the NFL say, "We don't agree with Colin Kaepernick and find it apalling that he uses our National Anthem as a way to display his self...ishness".
Instead, we get the pc crapola.
Ugh.
The non-fan comes home from Church on Sunday to see players sitting for the Anthem.
Grrrreat message, NFL!

And what about the play on the field?
Remember when a good kick off was to the goal line?
Now, for the most part, we see kickoffs sail past the end zone.
Is there anything more boring than seeing an unreturned kickoff.
C'mon NFL, you can even see that, right?
And quick...who is the best running back in football?
If you said "nobody" YOU WIN!
There is no Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, or Barry Sanders.
Nobody now, comes close.
Sure, there is David Johnson and Leveon Bell, but that is only because there teams utilize them on more plays.
NFL teams have gone to a lot of committees.
Committee's on the football field are like committees in real life.
Dull.
But, that's ok.
The NFL hardly runs the ball anymore.
Problem solved!
It is not a 'steady as she goes' offense that moves down the field. It is a 20 yard pass and a receiver who can't wait to get up to take the referee's job away in signalling 'first down'.
Football has gone the way of poker. A player seems to shove 'all in' every few minutes. Passes are the way for quick scores.
The philosophy has changed. It used to be said that three things happen on a long pass and two are bad (incompletion and interception)
Now though, the philosophy is that if throwing a long pass, three things can happen and two are good (completion, pass interference)

Which brings us to officiating.
When did fans start paying money to see which ref had the best arm to throw a flag?
It used to be that fans held their breaths as a kick off was returned for a touchdown that there were no flags.
Now, it's on any play that gains yards.
If Kaepernick sat down for every flag thrown in the NFL, he would have scrapped his 'cause'.

Players don't have to score touchdowns to celebrate any longer. A run of more than 10 yards, a catch of more than 15, a sack, a blocked punt, a missed field goal...these all turn into 'selfies'.
No, not THAT kind of selfy.
The kind of selfy where the player does a little dance or motion or first down signalling, or really ANYTHING that makes sure he gets attention for his 'selfy' achievment.
I sure miss Barry Sanders just handing the ball to the ref.

It's become a different game. You can't hit the quarterback too hard.
Not in the head. Not in the neck. Not he knees. Below the waist is questionable.
Fans don't even know what a catch is anymore. And I mean real fans.
The non-fan, ha, don't even try.
A horse-collar tackle is illegal, but hair pulling is ok.
Read that last sentence again.
Can you imagine that in the past?
Ray Nitcshke has to be laughing.

Nobody is at fault for tv ratings falling more than the NFL themselves.
They have overlooked the things that has really hurt their sport while zeroing in on rule changes that have made possible new fans give up.
They've gone from three yards and a cloud of dust to three incomplete passes and punt.
Hit the quarterback to protect the quarterback.
And every Sunday is Flag Day.
The NFL has big problems.
And as with the concussions, they'll be the last to admit it.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

whale4evr

Re: The NFL

Post by whale4evr » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:23 pm

Some meaningful attempt to get PEDs out of the league would be a good start.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:56 pm

whale4evr wrote:Some meaningful attempt to get PEDs out of the league would be a good start.
Great point.
My grandson marvels at the meat hooks they call arms in the league.
Incredible really.
I know a fella who works out everyday, religiously.
Never will have and never had arms like those guys display.

It's also a contributor to the concussion problem. The speed is increased, the muscle mass is increased.
Something has to suffer on impact.
It's also changed tackling itself.
Arms were extended to tackle before PED's. Now, shoulder and head led tackles are the more common approach while hands and arms are used for raking the ball.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:02 am

One more thing about football today...

WHERE ARE THE STARS?

Besides Tom Brady, who are the stars of the NFL?

At quarterback, some will say that Cam Newton is the best.
So last year.
Aaron Rodgers star has faded.
Russell Wilson has become average.
Besides Brady, there is not a big star.

Running back.
Well, fantasy players will point at David Johnson or Leveon Bell.
In reality, they are a product of a good system (for them) that allows them to touch the ball more often,
Neither, have breakaway powers or even break tackles better than other running backs.
In no way could they be compared with the greats of the game.

Wide Receivers?
Beckham, Jones, Brown?
These are all good receivers.
Good.
Beckham is as consistent as his personality.
Jones can be written out of Falcons plans on a whim and has.
Brown only catching td's from one qb.

This era and in particular, this year, is missing a big star.
The biggest star from this era is selling pizza and insurance on television.
If asking a non-NFL fan if they've heard of Julio Jones, they'll shake their head in answering no.
If asking the same question about Ray Rice, you'll get some that will say yes.
THAT, that is a large problem for the NFL.
On my tombstone-

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:50 pm

only sport in history that the players never practice what they do. it will only get worse. Jordon shot jumpers every day. tiger practiced every day. phelps swam every day. nfl players outlawed tackling in practice. the new generation will adjust. women don't play tackle- and they are now 50% of the fans. I think it is video games and smart phone more than anything and it will effect all sports.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:35 pm

I know I'm way behind on this but I couldn't disagree more on all Kaepernick accounts. What you call being "politically correct" is just basic freedom in America. When we turn into a nation that DEMANDS YOU ALL STAND AND HONOR THE FLAG, we've lost what makes America unique. Plus he's an African American who felt a certain way about deaths to his brethren in this country. Whether he went about it the "right" way or not 1. Unless you're black how can you claim to understand, 2. Free speech. The dude is obviously not trying to disrespect service men, he wanted to bring a point he felt passionate about to light. Kudos to the league at least for understanding free speech, even if he is kind of an idiot.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:28 am

Bjs2025 wrote:I know I'm way behind on this but I couldn't disagree more on all Kaepernick accounts. What you call being "politically correct" is just basic freedom in America. When we turn into a nation that DEMANDS YOU ALL STAND AND HONOR THE FLAG, we've lost what makes America unique. Plus he's an African American who felt a certain way about deaths to his brethren in this country. Whether he went about it the "right" way or not 1. Unless you're black how can you claim to understand, 2. Free speech. The dude is obviously not trying to disrespect service men, he wanted to bring a point he felt passionate about to light. Kudos to the league at least for understanding free speech, even if he is kind of an idiot.
I do not want to insult you but I disagree as actually no one in this post "demands" the idiot Kaepernick do or not do anything. Most recognize it is his choice/right to deliver whatever message he wants. Many have fought and many have died so that he could have that right. I personally object to the forum he chose to make his message. I think the real point here is the NFL had a choice to stand by Kaepernick or condemn his choice of forum to express his opinion.

The NFL chose poorly.

As I have a choice. There is no reason for me to listen to Kaepernick's message so I ignore it. He has no special insight, no special attributes, intelligence, or background as a political or social commentator. Without the fact he happened to be on the sidelines of a NFL game, had he made his message anywhere else, many fewer would have listened or cared because his message has no more value to the national discourse than any other person on the street. He, in short, took a cheap shot and the NFL chose not to condemn it.

He chose to use his position as an NFL quarterback in the spotlight to do something, quite frankly, stupid. He chose to defile one of the few things left that seem to have the ability to allow most of us stand together, united, on rare common ground...an area from which more common ground, more common understanding could evolve...if not for people like Kaepernick. Accepting for a moment that Kaepernick's intentions were good (something I seriously question), what Kaepernick and others of his ilk do not realize his that with great rights comes great responsibilities. How and when we chose to deliver our free speech messages is not restricted, but if you have the brains God gave you, you should choose the appropriate place, the appropriate time, and in hopes of the appropriate response.

In short, many have opinions...people like Kaepernick apparently do not have brains/real understanding attached to them. And evidently brains are in short supply in the NFL as well. I do not applaud Kaepernick for merely have the ability to do something stupid and call it "free speech". Doing something stupid is easy. Making a real effort and finding common ground...that is hard.

I, for one, also have the right and responsibility on how I respond to Kaepernick's message and to the NFL response. I ignore him, others like him, and I have ignored the NFL. I have not watched a game and will not watch the Super Bowl. I choose not to support morons.

And to the racist undertones from your post ("Unless you're black how can you claim to understand"), I am not a black man. I am, according the media, the radicals, the pseudo-intellectual community, the enemy. I am a WASP. According to conventional wisdom, I have never worked for or earned anything I have. All was given to me because of my race and gender by the CABAL of other WASPS (p.s. can someone send me the next CABAL meeting notice...I seem to have dropped off the mailing list). Add to that, I may even a greater enemy because I am Southern. Therefore, based on the common vernacular provided by the NY and LA media centers, I must take great joy at being the "Man" and routinely shooting or hanging minorities while spitting tobacco spittle out of the gaps in my front teeth but being sure to miss my un-shod feet while avoiding books without pictures.

This is of course a gross exaggeration based on a false generalization, just like Kaepernick's issue and concern over his "brethren", I believe, is false in my mind...my opinion. Racial generalization such as the one Kaepernick is purporting (cops target minorities to kill without cause) is, like most generalizations, not true. Before making such a "bold" statement, perhaps he should read "An Empirical Analysis of Racial Differences in Police Use of Force" by Roland G. Fryer, Jr. (yes, the same guy who exploded the arguments of the pro-gun law lobby).

http://www.nber.org/papers/w22399

Anyway, the message he wants to shout is of his own making. I think doing so during the National Anthem is wrong. Stupid in fact, and I will not applaud it as somehow showing great courage in exercising free speech. I, like you I imagine, care about every unnecessary and tragic death, including the shooting deaths of law enforcement officers which have spiked 78 percent in the first half of 2016 compared to last year. These include an alarming increase in ambush-style assaults.

Perhaps Kaepernick will take a knee at the next "Black Lives Matter" meeting in protest, hmmm?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer