Fake News

DOUGHBOYS

Fake News

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:41 am

We let news influence us. We won't admit it, but we do.
Even when this news, is not news.
There was a RotoWorld blurb that upset the apple cart of many drafts. Some drafters, so influenced by the news, that a player who was not taken in some 30 round drafts was taken in the top 10 rounds.
The blurb was not new news at all.
It started off as a writer's opinion. Then followed through with his Mgr. gushing about the player.
Nowhere in the blurb was that the player had 'won' the job, but the insinuations were certainly present.

I remember reading the blurb when it first came out. I was floored. I had given little consideration to this player for a Main Event draft. He was a judy. A judy who had had his chance as a starting player and failed.
After reading the blurb, I made him a consideration for the last round of the draft.
Others took this blurb much more seriously.
Serious enough for the player to be drafted in the 15th round of my Main Event league and as high as the 8th round in others.

Here is the blurb....

'MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan writes that Delino DeShields could be the Rangers' everyday left fielder and leadoff man.
DeShields has batted .302/.448/.321 with 12 steals this spring, which might have been enough to push Jurickson Profar back into a utility role and Carlos Gomez down in the order. "I tell guys, make me put you in the lineup," manager Jeff Banister said. "Let your game put you in the lineup. Delino has made us do that. How it plays on Opening Day or the day after that … just continue to play the game." DeShields entered 2016 as the Opening Day center fielder and leadoff man, but he lost those jobs quickly and ultimately hit .209/.275/.313. However, the 24-year-old had a good rookie season and could make a dent in fantasy leagues with his on-base skills and running ability.'

Notice the "Could be" in the first sentence?
I did.
It means it his opinion, not the Managers.
The rest is just gushing and fawning about a great Spring.
A reminder about his failures last year, quickly followed up by a "However" and what 'could be' if DeShields flourished.

As I was reading the many drops of DeShields in higher leagues, I thought about this blurb that was released on March 28 and the many drafters influenced.
We have to be good at throwing away blurbs like this.
This one fooled a lot of good drafters. Some names that are wily NFBC vets.
It can happen to any of us.
This blurb had wording that made it seem like DeShields was more than he was. Followed up by a Manager's gushing almost as if HE said that DeShields was starting.
It has to be remembered that RotoWorld can be a detriment as much as a helping hand.

Here is the next blurb on DeShields on Opening Day...

;Rangers manager Jeff Banister said Monday that it will be either Delino DeShields or Ryan Rua starting in left field on Tuesday.
Jurickson Profar somewhat surprisingly got the nod in left Monday after momentum seemed to be behind DeShields getting the first crack at the job. Ultimately, it looks like this will be a fluid situation where the first player to get hot will start seeing the bulk of the at-bats.'

Jurickson Profar somewhat surprisingly got the nod in left Monday after momentum seemed to be behind DeShields

HA!
That momentum was 'created' by a writer's opinion!
The fallout was that DeShields started two games and was pulled in one game after two at bats.
He led off early in the week (the game he was replaced)
He hit ninth yesterday.
DeShields is 0-6, with three strike outs in just those two starts.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!