Are We Just 'Share' Croppers?

DOUGHBOYS

Are We Just 'Share' Croppers?

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:38 am

Back in the day, we had few fantasy teams. Heck, one season long team was what most of us started with then.
I sorta missed those days.
When having just one team, we live and die with that team all year.
And, it is all the more sweeter for us when we win with that team.

Now, now we have 'shares' of players.
I use the term 'shares' myself sometimes, but I really don't like it.
With a lot of teams now, during drafting season, we fool ourselves into thinking that we need shares of most players coveted.
We feel that when the season begins, the right blend of our players will surely cash.
Not so fast.

I have a friend who entered the NFFC Playoff Football Contest.
He entered 20 teams.
20!
That's $3,000 !!!
Fortunately, he has a lot of money, so $3,000 to him is like a case of Doritos for me.

Anyway, he is a huge Philadelphia Eagles fan, so every one of his teams had prominent Eagles players.
Most, with their QB and RB.
You would think he would be kicking ass and taking names since the Eagles are in the Super Bowl.
Eh, not so fast.
His best team has a chance of getting a little money back... the rest, not really.
20 teams with the right team prominent and he is still going to lose money.

It's a reminder that the players we draft now are the important thing.
Not how many shares of this player or that, but The RIGHT Player
That should be plural. The Right Players.
Last year, if we had wanted just a share of Bellinger, we could have patted ourselves on the back.
We were 'smart' enough to draft a second round pick this year, in the 40th round last year.
But, if we drafted Matt Harvey, David Price, and Jonathon Villar too, the Bellinger pick did little good and the team went south.

Many teams give us the sense that we have a net below while doing our high trapeze drafting.
Instead of taking the best player available as we would with one team, we fall into that net by taking shares of players.
I know.
I do it too.
It is a diversion for us on draft day that we pay for during the regular season.
Does it ever work?
Not that I know of.
I have never heard a winner of any league admit that he just wanted 'shares' of his players that led his team and credited that for winning his league.

Another thing we do with multiple teams is use them as 'practice'.
After my first draft of the year, I wondered if I may be taking a few players too high.
So, in the next draft, I purposely did not select them to see if they went in the same round or later.
With ADP becoming more of a thing, we don't have to do this now.
We look at ADP and get a general sense of where players are taken.
Of course, in March for the big drafts, ADP goes to Hell.

In my last draft, I had the 13th pick.
My thought was not who my first selection was going to be as much as who my next pick would be.
That draft would see 24 players go off the board before reaching me again.
I went through all second round and third round picks and finally decided that Alex Bregman was my weapon of choice.
I like Bregman.
Is he a better player or hitter than Joey Votto, Francisco Lindor, or Gary Sanchez who all went later?
Not by ADP standards and surely not be last years numbers.
BUT, I like Bregman for the five category goodness and that he covers both middle and corner infield in a format that does not have FAAB.
I hadn't drafted Bregman much yet, So, I could have said I wanted another share.
But I am done with that....I hope.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!