Unsustainable, My Ass

DOUGHBOYS

Unsustainable, My Ass

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:56 am

I remember way back early in the season. I was listening to a piss-poor fantasy radio station. A guy on the show was railing about Clay Buchholz, telling his listener(s) that Buchholz has had unsustainable numbers and that owners would be better off dropping him and looking elsewhere for a new pitcher.
I never think of these 'experts' as talking to me, an NFBC owner.
The format in the NFBC makes makes most chatter on these kind of shows, unusable.
Anyway, after this guy was done telling everybody to drop Buchholz, his partner on the show started raving about Buchholz had never done well since the early part of his career and that what he was doing this year was luck-based.
He also complimented his partner in seeing through Buchholz early good starts and his recommendation.

I tire of so-called experts in fantasy baseball. They use numbers to support theories. Or they'll use history to support theories. Or they'll use their own opinion to support theories.
In the end, they really do not help at all.
I'm sure the 'expert' who recommended dropping Buchholz would say now that Buchholz was 'one in a million'.
But, then there is Anibal Sanchez.
And Derek Holland.
And Mike Minor.

It is easy for 'experts' to pick on players, especially pitchers, with little recent success.
Too easy.
For us in the NFBC, these pitchers are a life-blood.
Unless we are very lucky, we are only going to have, at most, two aces on our team that we feel we can use every week, no matter the matchup.
Most other starters are matchup and two-start decisions that we make on a weekly basis.
Buchholz, Sanchez, Holland, and Minor types are Godsends for NFBC owners.

Just last night, a fella was railing about how the Yankees would murder Jake Odorizzi.
I have Odorizzi on my Main Event team. There is enough pitching on my roster to sit Odorizzi against the Yankees.
He is a matchup pitcher and I did not like the matchup.
The fella on the radio went beyond that. He was telling his listener(s) that most Yankees should be played in daily leagues.
As if Odorizzi threw like a girl.
If listening to this guy, daily players would have been almost no-hit, while Andrew Cashner, a pitcher not owned by most teams even in our format, was getting shelled by an Oakland A's team, delighting fantasy players who loaded up on that team.

My point is that EVERYBODY can be wrong.
Clay Buchholz starts 'sustained' through the year. His prior starts and numbers be damned.
Fantasy baseball makes fools of us all.
I benched Jake Odorizzi in all my leagues this week.
He went out and threw a near no-no against the powerful Yankees.
It happens.
There are no 'experts' in fantasy baseball.
Having an 'expert' status or being called an expert, implies that one has mastered an art form.
To my knowledge, nobody has mastered our hobby.
Nobody ever will.
Especially somebody who tells us that a players numbers are 'unsustainable'.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!