Hot Stove

DOUGHBOYS

Re: Hot Stove

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:28 pm

Tampa also sent 5 million dollars in cash!
Tampa.
This franchise really has a hard-on for Yandy Diaz!

This could be a deal that is good for both players.
Diaz was getting lost in that Indians infield.
Bauers may find another gear in Cleveland.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:58 pm

If I'm Tampa, I wouldn't trade Bauers heads-up for Diaz, let alone throw in an extra player and $5M. Would not be surprised to see Bauers outplay Diaz in 2019 and every year thereafter.

A great trade by Cleveland in my opinion. Improved 1B and LF, and now they can keep J-Ram at 3B and Kipnis at 2B. Also better allows them to use Alonso as a platoon player, which makes sense because from what I've seen, the dude can't hit lefties.

Guess it is a good deal for the Mariners, too. Traded two years of Santana's contract for Encarnacion, who has a little higher AAV, but only has one year remaining. Either they get a short-term hitting upgrade for a year and then payroll relief or a player that is easier to trade because of the shorter commitment (probably the latter). (If I was Encarnacion, I would not be going house or apartment hunting in Seattle just yet.)

Don't really understand the Rays' motivation. Duffy is adequate at 3B and, if you're not thrilled with him (which I can understand), you can move Wendle over to 3B and free-up 2B for B Lowe. With Bauers, you had higher upside (I think), more power than Diaz, more speed than Diaz, and positional flexibility (1B/OF). Also, while it doesn't cost us anything, if Tampa Bay really threw-in $5M, you would think that money could've been redirected elsewhere with a bigger payback. I will have to research and watch Diaz some more. I normally hold Tampa Bay's front office in high regard; maybe I'm missing some big upside with Diaz, but I haven't seen it yet.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Dan - What do you think of Familia to the Mets for 3/$30M? I saw that and temporarily forgot that they had signed Diaz. (I'm now bummed because I drafted Familia twice as a future closer. Oh, well. Win some, lose some.) Lot of money for the Mets to spending on a set-up guy. Guess they're in it to win it now, but, if so, they got a lot more work to do.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:04 pm

Bronx Yankees wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:58 pm
If I'm Tampa, I wouldn't trade Bauers heads-up for Diaz, let alone throw in an extra player and $5M. Would not be surprised to see Bauers outplay Diaz in 2019 and every year thereafter.

A great trade by Cleveland in my opinion. Improved 1B and LF, and now they can keep J-Ram at 3B and Kipnis at 2B. Also better allows them to use Alonso as a platoon player, which makes sense because from what I've seen, the dude can't hit lefties.

Guess it is a good deal for the Mariners, too. Traded two years of Santana's contract for Encarnacion, who has a little higher AAV, but only has one year remaining. Either they get a short-term hitting upgrade for a year and then payroll relief or a player that is easier to trade because of the shorter commitment (probably the latter). (If I was Encarnacion, I would not be going house or apartment hunting in Seattle just yet.)

Don't really understand the Rays' motivation. Duffy is adequate at 3B and, if you're not thrilled with him (which I can understand), you can move Wendle over to 3B and free-up 2B for B Lowe. With Bauers, you had higher upside (I think), more power than Diaz, more speed than Diaz, and positional flexibility (1B/OF). Also, while it doesn't cost us anything, if Tampa Bay really threw-in $5M, you would think that money could've been redirected elsewhere with a bigger payback. I will have to research and watch Diaz some more. I normally hold Tampa Bay's front office in high regard; maybe I'm missing some big upside with Diaz, but I haven't seen it yet.

Mike
Almost exactly my reaction, Mike.
The 5 million dollars tossed in makes me think that this is not the end of this deal.
There are already rumors that Encarnacion is coming to Tampa for a song.
THAT would make sense.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:09 pm

I think the Familia signing is an above average signing.
Familia is familiar with New York. They know he can pitch there. He was alright as a set-up guy for the A's.
More so, it is just good to see the Mets WANTING to do something to win.
Above the Cano trade, which was a 'Look at me' trade for their new GM, this signals that the Mets are looking to win right away.
The Mets have stolen a bit of the Yankees off season thunder and I'm ok with that.
On my tombstone-

SpinningSeams

Post by SpinningSeams » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Bronx Yankees wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:43 pm
There is one aspect to all of this, however, that depresses me. Look at the big activity we've had so far.
Thus, before we get to Spring Training, I count about half of the teams as having no chance to win, and who seemingly are in or on the verge of a rebuild, or who just tread water content to be mediocre. I fear that our game is somewhat broken, and that players will get increasingly pissed, and fans increasingly will stay away, as fewer and fewer teams go all out to win every season. Just my $0.02. I love an active Hot Stove season, but I'd like to see one where all participants are trying to win
Mike,

Unfortunately they are all trying to win...The Greed game!

Player greed trying to kill the market by getting the most they can get!

Owner greed by trying to save/make as much money as they can!

GM greed by sabotaging the market to preserve their jobs.

Baseball headed to a dark place.
Scott
"SpinningSeams"

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:47 pm

SpinningSeams wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:24 pm
Bronx Yankees wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:43 pm
There is one aspect to all of this, however, that depresses me. Look at the big activity we've had so far.
Thus, before we get to Spring Training, I count about half of the teams as having no chance to win, and who seemingly are in or on the verge of a rebuild, or who just tread water content to be mediocre. I fear that our game is somewhat broken, and that players will get increasingly pissed, and fans increasingly will stay away, as fewer and fewer teams go all out to win every season. Just my $0.02. I love an active Hot Stove season, but I'd like to see one where all participants are trying to win
Mike,

Unfortunately they are all trying to win...The Greed game!

Player greed trying to kill the market by getting the most they can get!

Owner greed by trying to save/make as much money as they can!

GM greed by sabotaging the market to preserve their jobs.

Baseball headed to a dark place.
Maybe, Scott, although I hope not. Actually, the greed part - which I acknowledge - is nothing new to baseball. Owners always have been greedy, and before free agency and recent times, they really took advantage of players. Since free agency, many players have focused on maximizing their salaries. While other considerations (staying with one team, moving to a certain region of the country, maximizing the chance to win) have impacted player decisions in free agency, I can't blame players (too much) for taking what the market will bear.

Perhaps I'm looking at the game's history through rose-colored glasses, but I always felt like all or at least most teams were trying to win every season. Sure, some teams didn't have the ammunition, but they still tried to maximize wins. Yes, at various points in time, teams got old or had to cut salary, and you had one or a few teams shedding currently-better veterans for younger, cheaper talent. But, and this is the main thing that concerns me, you now have so many more teams seemingly not focused on winning now. You could probably make the case that half or almost half of the teams either are not focused on winning in 2019 and/or have little to no chance before the first ball is pitched. Also, I would venture that the game's finances have never been better, although perhaps that will change going forward due to a variety of factors. But, given local TV contracts, national TV contracts, the sale of certain assets by MLB that created a windfall for each team (not to mention ticket sales and tickets aren't getting any cheaper), every single team has money to spend to improve their stock, if they so choose. The fact that the number of teams choosing not to spend appears to be growing is worrisome.

There is plenty of blame to go around. Owners, players, the union (which has catered to the interests of veterans at the expense of younger players and minor leaguers), the front offices, the agents, etc. Not trying to blame any party in particular. You're already hearing, however, how the next CBA negotiations are going to be ugly, and you can kind of see why when so many teams seemingly have limited interest in winning this season. It's almost in vogue not only to do a rebuild, but to tear down your roster of all talent and undertake a five-year rebuild. Worked for the Astros. Unlikely to work for many copy-cat teams. Maybe it buys some GMs a few extra years in the job. We'll see. We've lived through baseball's labor unrest, a cancelled season, a World Series never played, a real chance for a .400 season lost, etc. Don't want to go through that again. Also, I was not into fantasy baseball back then. I can't even imagine the impact and disruption on the game we all love if there was another extended baseball strike. Let's hope we never get there.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Baseball has always been a 'stupid' sport.
Not the sport itself, but the people involved with the sport.
Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Dizzy Dean, Mickey Mantle, George Steinbrenner, Tommy LaSorda, Yasiel Puig.
Baseball has never had a lot of minds that would scare 'Jeopardy' players.
And baseball was better for it.
They did have enough smarts to keep baseball running, make it interesting, and draw millions of people, no matter who was making the largest slice of revenue pie.

Baseball isn't stupid any more.
We got smart guys running it. Most of the General Managers are from Harvard, Yale, Princeton or some other Ivy school that ain't Wrigley.
The smarter the people in the game, the more dull the game becomes.
We have players who play and hone their skills to make more money.
Back in the day, players were dumb enough to believe that the team concept came before personal gain.

We have General Managers embracing analytics. Math is their game and they bring that math to the field.
Shifts are in vogue. Swinging and missing is ok, as long as connecting 30 times.
Many, many, many pitchers are better than an Ace.
These fellas are smart.
But you know what?
The fan liked the dumb game better.
It was played more quickly. Didn't use as many players. And for the most part, fans hardly ever saw Managers unless arguing with Umpires.
That was the Manager they saw, chewing an Umpire's ear off.
Fans are even robbed of that now.
Now, we see a mis-shapened man of a Manager coming out to get a ball from a pitcher six times a game.
That Manager came from the school of Baseball. Now, directed by an Ivy Leaguer whiz who hardly played the game.
THAT is the Manager fans see now.

The smart guys are having their day.
The smart guys will soon realize that a Manager cannot figure out analytics on the fly and want computers in the dugout.
Only Split-second analytics will satisfy the smart guys.
Not a Manager who has a gut feeling.
Sooner or later, the crossed paths will lead to changes back to the way baseball was earlier.
The human element conquering and slaying mathematical nuances of their own making.
And somebody, somebody will realize that Harvard, Princeton, and Yale are not baseball schools.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:57 am

First the Cano trade. Then Familia. Now, Wilson Ramos.
Good to see somebody besides Jerry DiPoto making some moves (We can say that every year)

This one is the best one for the Mets....

1. They FINALLY do something behind the plate aside from telling everybody that Travis d'Arnaud is "Feeling great"

2. They don't have to give up anybody to get a quality catcher.

3. 10 million a year, two year deal? Heck yeah!

4. It gives a middle finger to the Marlins who are asking for the moon. (Rant below)

Look, I know that JT Realmuto is a nice catcher. I know that he has two years of club-friendly years.
At the same time, can MLB Network and writers quit treating him like he's a Hall of Famer?
Realmuto is being called "The best catcher in baseball" at the drop of a hat.
Being the best catcher in baseball at the present means that he is the best looking ugly girl in the bar at closing time.

Realmuto was the fifth or sixth catcher off the board in fantasy drafts last year.
This year, he has risen to one or two, because he had a decent year while other catchers flopped.
Realmuto is NOT worth a Victor Robles or a Noah Syndergaard.
And I doubt that GM's even entertained trading these pieces for Realmuto.
Writers need something to write, so they puff Realmuto to no end.
The Braves are done with the talk and now, so are the Mets.
The Marlins, like last year, are losing their window to deal Realmuto.
Waiting till after the season begins and lessening the time another club can use Realmuto only makes the return for him smaller.

If the Marlins are serious about trading him, they better get serious in the return for him.
I'm guessing that since the Dodgers did not re-sign Grandal, that they are done with him.
Take three Dodgers prospects, Verdugo if really offered, one of their catching prospects, and a minor prospect and be happy with it.
The clock is ticking and teams are losing interest or filling the catcher position.
As my Dad used to say, "Shit or get off the pot!"
On my tombstone-

mbendar16

Post by mbendar16 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:48 pm

Ramos my favorite of the 3 as well Dan. Right length, right money and a good RH bat to balance the lineup. It's a shame that they had to shed last year's mistakes as the Cano penalty or they could have saved 1 of the prospects. In regards to familia, not bad, but want to see how much Robertson gets, as I think he was the better 8th inning choice if money is equal. We'll see if they continue to spend and look to improve the team with each one of these moves. Here's 1 cautiously optimistic Mets fan :mrgreen:

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:34 pm

The Cubs sign Daniel Descalso...
What was wrong with LaStella?
What's the difference?
A lot of money.

The Nationals sign Matt Adams.
Quietly, this is a super signing by the Nationals.
Matt Adams has been the best player in baseball at something.
Don't know what it is?
Pinch Hitting.
Adams has the highest batting average (.283) for any current player with 100 pinch hit appearances.
He also has the most home runs (9) and most rbi (47)
And it's not even close in all three circumstances.
By the way, Descalso has a .218 batting average pinch hitting.
LaStella is at .278 and is closest to Adams in the batting average side.

Brantley signs with Astros.
No matter who signed Brantley, it was going to be a good signing.
Brantley is the kind of player that fits anywhere.
Health, the major concern.
The Astros are going to miss the Hell out of Marwin Gonzalez.
They have a shortstop with a bad back.
A second baseman with, now, questionable knees.
Brantley can't help them there.
Fantasy-wise, Brantley gets a little bit of an adp boost with the hitters around him
Baseball-wise, Brantley for Gonzalez may not be a good trade for Houston.

For fantasy, what happens with Kyle Tucker?
Traded to Miami or another place?
Reddick traded to make a spot for him?
4th outfielder?
AAAA?
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:51 pm

Oh, and Lance Lynn signs with Texas.
This has A LOT of fantasy emphasis.
With the signing of Lynn and Edinson Volquez, you don't want any of your hitters to miss a series vs. the Rangers.

And by the way again....

Astros sign Brantley for two years at 34 million.
The Phillies sign McCutchen for three years for 53 million. Ugly, ugly signing.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:57 am

Lots to talk about here....

Michael Brantley signs with the Astros.
This is a great signing for the Astros. Brantley is a left handed hitter that they need badly and fits right in with the Astros mentality.
As for fantasy, Brantley in left field, Springer in center field, leaves only one place for Josh Reddick or Kyle Tucker.
The Astros would love to trade Reddick, but the Angels would love to trade Calhoun, and the Mariners would love to trade Jay Bruce.
What I'm trying to say is that MLB has plenty of overpaid outfielders and they are hard to move unless Robinson Cano is in the deal.
Since Reddick and Tucker are left handed, there will be no platoon.
If the Astos sign their DH that they are looking for (Nelson Cruz?), I believe that Reddick and Tucker share right field at the onset.
At least till Tucker proves he is not a AAAA player.
When/if that happens, Reddick becomes an expensive fourth outfielder.

Matt Harvey signs with the Angels.
The 'Dark Knight' becomes an Angel?
That doesn't sound right.
For Harvey, it'll be a lot easier to find a call girl in L.A. than Cincinnati.
As far as on the mound, this is mostly meh for both baseball and fantasy purposes.
Harvey has become what he never was with the Mets. Average.
Some nights, he'll be really good. Some really bad.
He'll be drafted as a matchup guy for DC's.
In March, he's on the FAAB heap.

Trevor Cahill signs with the Angels.
Poor Angels.
They are a 'stuck in the middle' team.
Not contending.
Not rebuilding.
Just signing one year deals with players till huge contracts come off their books.
Unless they're trying to corner the market on pitchers that are hanging on.
Cahill, like Harvey, becomes a matchup guy.
And like Harvey, FAAB for March leagues.

Anibal Sanchez signs a two year deal with the Nationals.
Sanchez saved some fantasy lives last year.
He is one of those guys like Nick Markakis or Clay Bucchholz that performs way better than expected.
One of those players we put sixth in a FAAB thread, miss out on the first five players, turn our nose at getting him.
Then later, pat ourselves on the back for being so smart to get him.
Sanchez may thrive here.
A possibly great change-of-pace pitcher placed between Scherzer and Strasburg in the rotation.
He may have a (the good) Tanner Roark season.

Joakim Soria signs with the Athletics.
This is similar to the Familia signing with the Mets. Earlier Soria drafters hoping for a Closer spot are disappointed.
Can I say one thing here?
Well, too bad, I'm going to say it anyway because I'm writing this stuff.
Handcuffs are stupid in March!
We pat ourselves on the back after drafting Treinen/Soria saying that we've guaranteed ourselves Saves.
You know what happens to 99% of those that draft a handcuff for an NFBC March draft?
The second part of the handcuff is dropped.
We realize that a bench spot is too valuable to house a wannabe Closer.
Don't listen to those idiot 'Industry guys' who tell you that you need handcuffs.
They are talking about easier leagues. Not ours.

Cory Spangenberg signs with the Brewers.
FAAB.

Ian Kinsler signs with Padres.
See Cory Spangenberg.

Andrew Miller signs with the Cardinals.
Will he or won't he Close?
THAT is the question.
I'm guessing that he will a little bit.
Mostly though, be used as the Josh Hader type, which used to be the Andrew Miller type.
He'll be a great addition for the Cardinals if healthy.
For fantasy, it gives little or no more clarity than when he was a free agent.

Daniel Murphy signs with the Rockies.
Any offensive player who signs with the Rockies gets a boost in ADP.
Any pitcher who signs with the Rockies gets lowered in ADP.
Them's the fantasy rules.
Although Murphy will enjoy a great hitting environment, I am hesitant to put him on a pedestal.
I live in altitude and seen what it can do to bodies.
Daniel Murphy's body is not altitude-ready.
For me, he becomes a larger gamble, The stakes will be higher too because he will be drafted higher.
The first year of this contract, I'll probably let others take the plunge.
I'll wait on the sidelines and see if his body acclimates to being a mile high.

If one more person asks me or talks about where Machado and Harper are going, I'll explode.
By now, I don't give a rat's ass.
They'll be fine wherever they sign.
I believe that ANY 10 year contract is a mistake.
If one or both get a 10 year contract, good for them and bad for the organization who gave it to them.
If I'm going to make the 10 year mistake, I would rather wait and do it with Mike Trout.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:21 am

Now, Jurickson Profar is traded to the A's.
I'd comment on rest of the trade, but fantasy players don't care.
If I'm the A's, I'd rather have Jed Lowrie.
Profar either had his breakout year or his career year, last year.
It is up to us to decide and we do that by deciding which round to select him.
I've done a few drafts. Jurickson Profar has never been a thought for me as yet.
Or, let's just say that others think of him a lot more than I.
He leaves a beautiful place to hit and goes to a terrible place to hit.
If liking him, you may like him a little less now.
If still liking him, you can sing his new jingle.
"So Far, Jurickson Profar, will have your team go far, so-o-o far."
It'll be a jingle that I will not be singing...
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:32 am

Lets get back to the semi-hot stove......

Domingo Santana for Ben Gamels....What?
This trade would have probably been nixed in fantasy leagues.
Except growing long, flowing hair, there is nothing Gamel can do that Sanatana can't do better.
I've seen Gamel not drafted in 50 round drafts.
That means there are players like Alex Avila being taken ahead of him. Alex Avila!

Homer Bailey for Alex Wood, Yasiel Puig, and Matt Kemp...

As Homer Bailey retires from baseball a rich man, he can brag to others that he was traded for three pretty good players.
Everybody says that pitchers need to get there Tommy John behind them. Like a right of passage.
Bailey did and he was never the same.
Some say he never had a chance to be a great pitcher with a name like 'Homer'.

Wood going to Cincinnati cannot thrill his early drafters.
Quick, name the best Cincinnati pitcher ever......
I'm waiting....
Still waiting.....
Ok, if you're old like me, you may have said Jim Maloney or Johnny VanderMeer.
Sabrs will say Rijo or Soto.
Most though, will say Tom Seaver.
Like Albert Pujols with the Angels, the Reds caught Seaver after he had already had his best years with the Mets.
Long story short, we don't like seeing pitchers in Cincinnati.
It is where Starting Pitchers go to die.
Rest in Peace, Homer Bailey.

Puig and Kemp become of more interest.
Better hitters ball park.
More playing time.
A chance to be a big fish in a little pool.
Contract year.
A lot of things align for them.
I am guessing that each sees their ADP take a jump up. Puig will still have hamstring problems since his muscles on muscles are wound too tight and Kemp will have old man miseries, but each get a chance to be a Star again. Both, feed on that.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:16 am

The Twins sign Nelson Cruz to a one year contract.....

Well, the Twins are changing philosophy, aren't they?
In the past, their roster has been littered with speed/power guys like Torii Hunter, Eduardo Nunez, Eddie Rosario, Byron Buxton, and Brian Dozier.
The Twins have always been thought of as a team that chips away.
What else are we going to think of a team that was led by Joe Mauer.
Mauer's gone now.
And the Twins want to change their look from chipsters to 'slugs'.
The middle of the Twins lineup will now look like this....

Schoop
Cruz
Sano

That's a lot of right handed slug right there.
Sprinkle that with Rosario, Max Kepler, Jorge Polanco, and the forever underproductiveness/injury riddeness of Byron Buxton and the Twins look like they have an offense that could be even better than their division rival, Cleveland Indians.
The problem for the Twins being that their Starting pitching does not come close to their foes.

As for Cruz, Cruz will be Cruz.
For years, he was a fantasy-plus in four categories, only lacking speed.
Age has caught up with him.
He now is a two category player with just HR's and RBI to brag about.
His Runs have come down to 70ish and falling. His batting average at 250ish and falling.
BUT, for fantasy players, the worse news is in the positioning.
Cruz only qualifies at U.
It is no wonder that his ADP has fallen.
He goes from warmer weather to colder weather. A not-friendly hitting park to a not-friendly hitting park.
If needing power, Cruz is going to be a thought after the ninth round is over.
It would take desperation in that area for me to pull the trigger.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:18 am

Matt Shoemaker signs with the Blue Jays...

Earlier in his career, I heard from several NFBC folks that "This will be the Year" for Shoemaker.
I don't hear that any longer.
Shoemaker has found a new place to be an inconsistent, injury riddled pitcher.

Jonathon Lucroy signs with the Angels....

When Catchers were decent, Lucroy was one of the best of the lot.
Now that Catchers suck, Lucroy has followed that trend of sucking.
He offers nothing in the way of fantasy goodness.
It is funny how Catchers have turned fantasy players.
Fantasy players are always looking for more at bats.
With Catchers, less at bats will do.
For instance, backup catchers like Kurt Suzuki and Elias Diaz offer the same five category stats as a starter like Lucroy, only with less of a hit in batting average.

Can I say one more thing about the way we receive the news about these signings....
Well too bad, I'm writing this so I will....
Look at this....

"Angels signed C Jonathan Lucroy to a one-year, $3.35 million contract.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports was the first on the details of the signing. "

The reader could give a rat's ass in who broke any story first.
We're WAY beyond the Woodward-Bernstein era.
And the signing of Lucroy rates low as 'breaking news'.
Why do writers make themselves part of the story? I guess it's because they can.
I miss the days when trades were called into the league office and they let the press know en masse.
Now, a guy like Ken Rosenthal gets far too much credit for being a text away from most GM's and agents.
Rat's ass.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:50 pm

'Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe suggests the Red Sox could extend Mookie Betts as early as this offseason.

This kind of conjecture wouldn't normally be reported in this space, but Cafardo is one of the most locked-in baseball writers around'

Then....

'The Rays and Astros "tried hard to land" Nelson Cruz before he signed with the Twins, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.'

And....

'Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe says Robbie Ray may be the next player traded by the Diamondbacks this offseason.'

When did RotoWorld become Nick Cafardo's bitch?
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:27 pm

Clayton Richard goes from the Padres to the Blue Jays....

This is like a jailbird being moved from a rat-infested prison cell with a window to a rat-infested cell in the basement with no light at all.

In other words. if you had a ray of light flicker in your head that Richard was draftable, this move should douse that light.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:32 am

Yusei Kikuchi signs with the Mariners....

I love the contract. After three years, if Kikuchi pitches well, Seattle picks up an option for four years.
If not, Kikuchi is a free agent.
As for Kikuchi himself.....I don't know.
Hey, it's the truth!
Everybody likes to say that a Japanese pitcher will do this or that.
We have no idea.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:02 pm

Tulo signs with the Yankees....

It really didn't matter where Tulo signed as far as fantasy baseball is concerned, the overriding concern is health.
Tulo can rehab in Colorado and Toronto with the best of them.
He has proven that when on the field, he is good.
What he is Great at, is staying off the field.
It makes for a feel good story that he wears number 2 because of Jeter. Good for baseball.
For us, we have to ask ourselves, "Do we feel lucky?" "Well, do ya, Punk?!"

David Robertson signs with the Phillies for 23 million dollars for two years...

Craig Kimbrel just yelled out, "SHIT!!!"
Kimbrel is not three times the Closer that Robertson is....
But, he is asking for three times the years and close to four times the money.
I believe that Kimbrel will 'settle' for a three, possibly four year contract.
For a lot less money than he thought he would get.
AND, he'll have to pay his agent for letting him have those thoughts of grandeur.
Robertson acted as his own agent and not have to share the loot.

Robertson to Philly perks up our ears.
If Soria goes to Oakland or Familia goes to the Mets, we say, "Big friggin' deal".
We know they're not closing.
Robertson has a chance to Close.
His stock will go up in drafts from near the 20th round to most likely, the 11th or 12th round.
He may have competition from Dominguez, but doubtful. Most clubs like to see the most they can gett for their big money.
Robertson has the experience and is getting paid those big bucks.
For those that drafted Dominguez highly in early drafts, condolences.
He falls into the Soria, Familia category.
And like Soria and Familia, he'll plummet in drafts.
On my tombstone-

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:30 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:50 pm
'
If Soria goes to Oakland or Familia goes to the Mets, we say, "Big friggin' deal".
His stock will go up in drafts from near the 20th round to most likely, the 11th or 12th round.
He may have competition from Dominguez, but doubtful. Most clubs like to see the most they can gett for their big money.

20th round? Savvy owners probably were snatching him up in the 17th round. ;) :lol:

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:50 pm

Bronx Yankees wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:30 pm
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:50 pm
'

20th round? Savvy owners probably were snatching him up in the 17th round. ;) :lol:

Mike

Savvy?
You mean copycatter :lol:
Look at our previous draft, Mike. :)
Either which way, good pick! ;)
On my tombstone-

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:59 pm

Ha! That was great. Perfect response. Had no idea. And you got better "value" for him. ;)

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Thurman15

Post by Thurman15 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:51 pm

Kimbrel and Keuchel are delusional with their demands. Kimbrel wanted 6 years and now will settle for 5 ? Snowball's chance in hell he gets 5 years, and I doubt he even gets 4. He may get 3 years. He was scary wild in the World Series and has a history of poor control. Now he is 31 (I believe). He may not ever get good control back again. Look at Adam Ottavino's numbers....in Colorado no less. You can sign him for less than Kimbrel and he may well be better.

Keuchel wants 5 years ??? Good luck Dallas. Maybe if you could strike out your sister you'd get more money, but come on, look at age and that low strikeout rate. No way he gets a big contract. Again I say 3 years max, or if he gets 4 he won't get anywhere near the total dollars he thinks he will.

Poor Mike Moustakos....looks like he is screwed AGAIN. He asked for 5-80 I believe. Not gonna happen. He proved his power again, but unfortunately proved he won't walk again.

Bottom line, teams have finally learned not to pay guys in their 30's. You need to pay for what a player WILL do, not for what a played "has" done.
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "