Ohtani and Oh Angels

DOUGHBOYS

Ohtani and Oh Angels

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:06 am

There is one thing that has me constantly puzzled during early draft season.
The over drafting of Shohei Ohtani.
Oh, I know that Ohtani is SuperMan. I know that he is supposed to just hit this year. And I know that he was Rookie of the Year and din't even spend all year hitting last year as he is this year.
BUT, that is the rub.
Here is an update from RotoBlurb in November....

'Angels general manager Billy Eppler said Monday that Shohei Ohtani is progressing on schedule and has almost full extension in his elbow.

Eppler added that it will be January before the team will have a clearer picture of Ohtani's timetable. Ohtani will not pitch next season, but the hope is that he'll be available for full-time designated hitter duties on Opening Day.'

All sounds innocent enough, right?

Ok, here is another blurb about Didi Gregorius....

'Didi Gregorius underwent Tommy John surgery Wednesday on his right elbow.

The Yankees announced last week that Gregorius would require the reconstructive elbow procedure, so this isn't breaking news. The hope is the 28-year-old shortstop will be able to return around the middle of the 2019 season, probably just before the All-Star break.'

So, you're asking what does Didi Gregorius have to do with Ohtani...
The thing is that these two players had their TJ surgeries just 10 days apart.
Yet the timelines are months apart.
Something has to give.
Both, had TJ on the same arm. Both hit left handed.
The Angels 'hope' for Opening Day, the Yankees 'hope' for the All Star Game.

Corey Seager missed all of last year with Tommy John.
The timing wasn't the same for Seager, but that is an indication that it takes longer to recover from the surgery, even to just hit, than the Angels are admitting.
The Yankees are almost guaranteed of fannies in the seats, with or without Gregorius.
Even half a season without Ohtani would mean less season tickets and individual tickets sold for the Angels.
They have to be optimistic. In their case, pessimism would cost them money.

That all said, why hasn't this been discussed among members of the press?
Are they that focused on Bryce Harper and Manny Machado?
I have seen less 'real news' about baseball this pre-season than any other.
Hopefully, it is not the beginning of a trend.

For us fantasy players, the Ohtani injury and timeline simply means that one drafter, most likely, overdrafted Ohtani in one of your drafts.
Either that, or Gregorius owners are getting a Helluva deal.
That will be decided soon enough.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Gekko

Re: Ohtani and Oh Angels

Post by Gekko » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:22 am

maybe TJS doesn't impact hitting as much as throwing. DH sounds good to me 8-)

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:51 am

Gekko wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:22 am
maybe TJS doesn't impact hitting as much as throwing. DH sounds good to me 8-)
No kidding?
TJ impacts throwing more than hitting?
Hmm.
:lol:
The Yankees have stated that Gregorius will not be able to DH as well.
I know you want the continuance of the overdrafting of Ohtani, Mark :D .
But this little place in the fantasy world will not have much effect on that. :)
It'll take some National writer to have an impact there.
On my tombstone-

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:40 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:51 am

Ohtani's combination of power and speed is ELITE. BTW, i bet you cant find any communication from the Yankees organization stating Didi will "not be able to DH". don't try and fool the astute MB readers.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:54 am

Gekko wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:40 am
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:51 am

Ohtani's combination of power and speed is ELITE. BTW, i bet you cant find any communication from the Yankees organization stating Didi will "not be able to DH". don't try and fool the astute MB readers.
Taken from a story in the New York Times....

'Cashman said that he was not sure when Gregorius would return, but that he expected it to be sometime next season. Pitchers generally take 12 to 14 months to recover from the operation. Position players can sometimes recover in less time, though catcher Kyle Higashioka, who had Tommy John surgery in 2013, returned in a little less than 15 months.
Boone dismissed the possibility that Gregorius might return much earlier in the designated hitter’s role, saying there would not be much time between when he could swing a bat and when he could throw.'
On my tombstone-

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:22 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:54 am
Boone dismissed the possibility that Gregorius might return much earlier in the designated hitter’s role, saying there would not be much time between when he could swing a bat and when he could throw.'
Boone = Trump. flat out lie :lol:

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Whatever floats your boat, Mark. :lol:
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:51 pm

The Angels finally blink...

'Angels general manager Billy Eppler told reporters on Thursday that Shohei Ohtani (elbow) will not be ready for Opening Day.
Ohtani met with Dr. Neal ElAttrache for a checkup, and while Eppler says it went well, there are clearly some steps to go through before the two-way star is ready to play. He underwent Tommy John surgery in early October, so it's not a huge surprise that he's not going to be ready for the start of the season -- even as a designated hitter. Ohtani has yet to take swings yet, and until he's able to do that, it's tough to project when he'll be ready to compete.'

Down goes Ohtani!...(In drafts...)
On my tombstone-

Thurman15

Post by Thurman15 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:06 am

Billy Eppler should be fired. He has Mike Trout and completely wastes any chance of making the post season. Some people think that they are saving money for a big offer on Mike Trout. I have news for them. There is no way Trout resigns if he gets within a year of free agency. The Angels have made no effort to build a good team. What they do with that broken down staff every year is criminal. They refuse to buy or trade for an Ace and a true #2. They will have to trade him this year if they are out of it. And Trout is smart enough to know they will never beat Houston, the Yankees or the Red Sox in the next few years. Not Cleveland either. Trout is gone and the sooner they realize it, the better return they can get in a trade.
Rogers Hornsby, Hall of Famer with the Cardinals was once asked " You love Baseball Rogers, but what do you do in the winter ? " His response......"I stare out the window and wait for spring "

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:19 am

The realization has hit Ohtani drafters that they will not see close to a full season of stats from Ohtani. He has now fallen from a fifth or sixth round choice to a tenth or 11th round choice.
To me, it is still too high of a price to pay.
This is a Cy Young candidate the following year. Ohtani will be the most babied DH in history this coming year.
For the Angels, whatever Ohtani does at the plate this year, will be gravy. The higher expectations come the following year.

It is still incredible to me that the draft round difference between Ohtani and Gregorius is so vast.
Gregorius still is selected after the 20th round in drafts. Twice as much roundage as Gregorius, even after the adjustment for Ohtani owners.
It shows me that the 10th or 11th round is still too early for Ohtani, while Gregorius should move up a bit in DC's.

What happens for the Big Drafts for these two players?
They will both occupy a precious bench spot for at least two months.
THAT is a hard pill to swallow for owners.
News from Spring Training about their progress will be the key.
Although neither should participate in any actual games.
Both will be an easy pass and a hard take is my bet.
On my tombstone-

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:47 am

Ohtani - my intel has him back in May as DH about 85% of the time. since he will not need to play the field, he should not experience any setbacks. owners should expect 4th-5th round production beginning in May. according to my milk man, Ohtani should be taken in the 8-10th round in current drafts

Gregorius - my intel has him back directly after the all star break. yankees have lots of MI help available and will not rush Gregorius. they want him healthy in september and the playoffs. since Gregorius will need to play the field, his return could experience a setback if he can't throw as well. milk man again gave me his opinion and said in current drafts, he would consider Gregorius in round 24. anyone selecting him prior to that, such as the 23rd round, is likely a DONKEY

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:19 pm

I grabbed Ohtani last night in an OC at pick 248. I think I can get that kind of production from him. If he’s out to long oh well just dump him since I didn’t spend much on him.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:30 pm

Gb2715 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:19 pm
I grabbed Ohtani last night in an OC at pick 248. I think I can get that kind of production from him. If he’s out to long oh well just dump him since I didn’t spend much on him.
THERE you go!
That's more like it. I am guessing half a season from him. Minus some of the blips when the Angels want to give him more 'rest'.
So tough in that they're breaking new ground here.
It'd be hard to tell a player to 'protect your elbow' when stealing a base :D
It should be interesting to see how this all pans out.
At that cost, the bench spot is the largest (only) penalty.
Good job!
On my tombstone-